Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

The NTA should just look at the Dublin Bus Twitter feed if they want to see examples of the current services.

Poor sods working that account don't get paid enough I'm betting

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Have you contacted Conyngham Road to tell them about the incorrect instructions re the 60?

That’s a Dublin Bus mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

Yes we asked them to get the controller to put out a call to let drivers know. Begs the question what happened to the drivers that were out on route familiarisation.

Letter we got by email

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

This is the 4th spine/bus connected set and if anything implementation preparedness is getting worse.

Even on Saturday the gs haven't Been making thier time all day with large gaps. Gs and 60 still don't exist on dB app as routes. 60 was 10-15 mins faster from red cow today doing it to ballyfermot in 15 mins rather than 25. As some weren't tracking people missed them or the app was out by 4-5 mins. Hard to see how it could work on a weekday. A lot of kids are getting lifts to school in Monday morning as they have Been warned to get an earlier bus rather than be late again. At this rate the will need to be at the stop at 7am to be in school for 8.45. Those who made the 'short walk' to the g spine from decies Road got left there indefinitely. One group who contacted us are carers who used 79 to make calls. With the 16.30 and 17.30 60 cancelled they were either late of had to miss calls due to the gs being constantly full or large gaps. The elderly are suffering all round

Post edited by A2000 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

One thing I've noticed this week with the 39As on the street RTPI signs is that the bus once it hits due, if it doesn't appear within a minute it goes back to around 10-15 minutes .

2 minutes later, the bus shows but even when the bus leaves it stays on the board and then disappears after a few minutes.

A few occasions I've seen this happen .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The on street signs are all over the place at the moment, more so in the last 2 weeks. They can't be remotely trusted at the moment.

Dublin bus app is the most accurate and I only use TFI app to check the live position

Taken from upstairs on the 60 this morning. Exactly what we told the nta would happen if there was a wedding funeral christening communion or confirmation in the church.

• Advertisement

Why did they even route it through that area ? Why not just reroute it through Clifden Road instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Reminds of the 40E and 120 going through estates in Cabra with cars and whatnot either side.

Trying to make up for the 79 being withdrawn from Spiddal Park.

Don't think the 79 ever went through Claddagh Green or Blackditch Drive though. If anything, it makes the 60 more dissimilar.

If the 60 continued straight and rejoined the G2 on Clifden Road instead of turning left onto Claddagh Green, it wouldn't face this severe lack of space

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

So...where has actually lost a "direct" service to town under BusConnects? I just saw a girl on twitter say she's sick of having to take three buses that used to be direct...only place I can think of is up Captain's Hill, did the H spine eradicate some "direct"routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Only other one I can think of is dodsboro, but that was only 2 buses (and probably not as relavent now with the C2 rerouted to pass by Shackleton)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Easily solved - double-yellow lines on (at least) one side of the road. Force people to source their own storage solutions for their private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Every time that I hear that the G1/G2 & the 60 are suffering with huge problems with timekeeping on their routes; I would fear that these problems will spread over to the drivers who operate the S Routes from February onwards.

There needs to be some big miracle coming out from the 2 operators and from the NTA in how they can make the routes work in a functional manner.

The amount of new duties that are reportedly going to be in place for operating the S Routes are going to be very substantial for the next phase.

I would say that the next phase of BC will be a huge litmus test into how the project will fare out from 2023 onwards.

The N4 & N6 have been an exception to the rule in becoming a success. The S routes really need to become same. They cannot afford to be seen to fail from the 1st day of operation from the NTA's pov.

If people are not going like the prospect of say having to get 2 buses from Stillorgan to Tallaght while having to deal with all of the current delays and driver shortages that were built in from the previous phases of the project. They would lose their confidence in using them straight away. It might be regarded as a huge failure when you see all of the other phases being launched in future.

The passengers who would try to make valid attempts to use the new routes would probably find them to be a logistical nightmare as they are not going to be relied upon for trying to turn up at their bus stops on time.

DB & GAI would need to do the following to get their routes operating as they normally did before Covid asap. Employ the new drivers as they are at the moment to allow them operate the new routes. They also need to get their existing drivers to come back to do their duties to make their driver numbers more sustainable in future.

If they cannot make that substantial effort later on; running new BC phases will become a huge slog in 2023/24. And it won't get easier for either party once that happens.

So far, (aside from peak hours), Captain's Hill (66a) and Castletown (66b) in Leixlip, and Dodsboro in Leixlip (25).

It can also depend on where the person was going in town of course given the different routings the Spines may take from the previous routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I don't know this person's circumstances (do they have a disability etc.) so I don't like passing judgement but assuming they mean town as in Dublin city centre the vast majority of places in Dublin city centre north and south and be easily walked from any other point in the city centre. The city centre is not that big.

• Advertisement

Could be going to St. Stephen’s Green / Baggot Street area, and might not want to walk from Townsend Street.

Townsend Street to Stephen's Green/Baggot St. is not a million miles although admittedly might not be the best walk for a lone woman after dark hence why I said I don't like judging people's personal circumstances.

Being too lazy or too stuck in one's ways is not really a good excuse to be against bus connects.

I have many gripes with bus connects myself but for example in my own area the 145 is being replaced by the E1 and will no longer serve the quays or Hueston Station which is a bit more inconvient for me I occasionally have to go to Smithfield but I realise the changes make more sense for the masses which what public transport is all about.

Heard a rumour the southern orbitals and L25 won't be starting until the new year

Think it was mentioned somewhere on Busconnects website that they'll launch in Feb 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I don't have confidence that the scheme will be completed. The current pace would have the scheme completed by 2026 or later, pretty poor all things considered. The driver shortage needs to be sorted ASAP, if it means special visas to bring drivers from other countries, government should sort it.

The parts of the cbc scheme that don't need planning should be put in place over the next few weeks to tackle journey times. The bus gate at kilmainham for example could be installed by DCC in a week with its normal road maintenance powers. Why sit around and wait for things to get worse, just do it.

There is a massive labour shortage across the economy, not just in transport, and it’s not going to be solved just like that. It’s not just in Ireland either, but is across other European countries as well.

On top of that you have a housing crisis which is impacting on the availability of staff in the cities.

Thirdly, I suspect that the job is certainly becoming less attractive with the increased number of 24 hour routes.

Having said all that, maybe some reality needs to set in at the NTA, and some of the orbitals implemented at lower frequencies than were originally planned. Bear in mind that the orbital phases represent the main increase in resources in the plan. The other phases in general involve redeploying resources (aside from more 24 hour routes).

It may take longer than we’d all like, but you cannot magic suitable staff out of thin air.

Unfortunately, I genuinely can’t see them implementing bus gates without going through the planning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Of little relevance to BusConnects directly, but merely worth mentioning given the last few posts and to highlight how the transport industry is affected everywhere near Ireland, Nederlandse Spoorwegen have to cut their timetables from the European December rail timetable change in order to be able to run within available... guard (conductor) numbers - oddly enoough - as OPO passenger operations are not possible in the Netherlands at the moment. To a similar tune, there were problems with covering full school term schedules in a number of Polish cities, and I can't go a week without train drivers in the Cracow area saying "we need more drivers, and don't bother applying for conductors, go for driving", regardless of company (it shows with the amount of 160 km/h-routed trains operating at 130 km/h, since current regulations require either ERTMS/ETCS or a second driver in the cab to exceed 130 - there just aren't enough drivers to provide the second one on all trains). In Germany, Karlsruhe's VBK (the city operator, not the tram-train) had some issues with duty covering during the summer, but I wouldn't know if the problems have disappeared or not (update: I asked, they haven't, services have been cut).

In other words, what good is importing staff from abroad going to do, when it's a good bet there aren't any available abroad either?

Post edited by TranslatorPS on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

All sectors of the economy are up a certain place without a paddle in how they are trying to sort out their staff shortages while the pandemic has not really gone away yet.

These issues are having a big impact in the UK as well as right across Europe.

I remember Danny Savage of BBC News reporting sometime before Covid that one of the Tory Governments led by Boris Johnson had announced a plan to increase investment in more bus services to communities that are located outside of London.

And since the pandemic inflicted it's damage since 2020; it was reported by the BBC again earlier this year that there has been a huge shortage of both bus and HGV drivers right across the UK.

That should tell you that discussing the issue of having immigrants flown over to Ireland to run the new BC routes in Dublin and in other counties here in Ireland is not a good idea. Especially if the foreign operators cannot find enough bus drivers to run services for their own networks either.

• Advertisement

Got 16.30 60 from burgh Quay today and arrived spiddal Park at 17.51. Can see the journey time worsening due to bad weather getting dark earlier and Christmas traffic. The 60 has come into its own in the past week with a big increase in passenger numbers including off peak. Despite the journey time people prefer it over the g spine. A local Councillor submitted complaints on behalf of residents and brid Smith raised the issues on the g spine in the Dail including the doubling of journey times. Let's see how nta respond.

See link below

https://fb.watch/gpcectSd3S/

Advertisement