Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflection on the pandemic: questions about the authorities' response.

Options

Comments

It’s pointless, they will just proceed to ridicule rather than actually try to support their position with facts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I genuinely can't understand what you are saying here, I can't make sense of it..

"You said "numbers fell off a cliff" which implies they rose to high point preceding it. You can hardly say nothing happened when you just described something happening. A virus doesn't know it's January" - this makes no sense.

They rose to a high point in January (during our viral surge where numbers shoot up, peak and then collapse in the space of 6 weeks or thereabouts) then the numbers fell again (and we started testing everyone again as opposed to people who just demonstrated symptoms)..we experienced this two years in a row.

"We didn't have the "same" result. They were different strains." - I have no idea what you are inferring here, again, you aren't making any sense, are you suggesting the case numbers in Jan 2021 were completely different to Jan 2022?

You would expect much higher numbers in 2022 because by the Feb we had dropped all restrictions and a more virulent strain of covid.

We get viral surges all the time during our flu season, what we saw in Jan of both years were viral surges, they may very well might have began in December but it doesn't matter it's irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

No entirely sure why you think milds or asymptomatic is not a "case".

Hospitals always have unloaded patients (especially the elderly) to respite, care and nursing homes. These facilities usually have a set number of beds specifically for this purpose. This was a crisis even before Covid.

You might want to look at your own tone before you accusing people of ridiculing you, just saying.

You might want a clue as to why cases fell off a cliff in January 2022

In case you need a second clue

• Advertisement

Ya...we know the number of tests performed drop off after a viral surge...the same thing happened the year before...that's hardly a revelation!! They even stop testing people who don't demonstrate symptoms....so the data you posted is inaccurate, therefore useless!

Do you understand that?

I quoted your comments. You're basically saying you don't understand your own comments.

What you saying now is you don't understand what a season is. You're calling it seasonal even it doesn't align with any season.

Covid surges happened at different times of the year. Not seasonal at all. They also happened at other times of the year. It doesn't align with Flu seasons at all.

Sometime getting a cat to chase a light is mildly amusing. I'll get bored eventually.

You don’t get it do you. Even when spelled out clearly. They stopped testing because they could not test anymore people not because there were less people to test. Which is why the share of positive tests went up above 50%. And the testing never went back to previous levels. So to say the virus declined in Jan / February 2022 is a complete failure of basic logic . In 2021 by contrast the share of positive tests dropped to the low single digits in by February.

• Advertisement

There's a book in this. Why 6am and and 6pm is not the same.

You don't get it.

The rules for who got tested changed all the time, especially during our Viral Surges (when they were overwhelmed no doubt), so comparing data across that time frame is utterly meaningless....the data you are posting is useless and misleading, pretty graphs and all that, but useless. If there were rigid rules in (across every jurisdiction included) place then perhaps you could look at data but even then there are hidden variables that must be accounted for! You simply do not understand the concept of data analyzing.

There is a saying in the industry, "Torture the stats and they'll tell you anything!!"

Ultimately, there are only a few real metrics in a pandemic that are relevant, excess death numbers and hospitalizations. Everything else is just useless really! In both cases we know they were exaggerated. There would have been no need to exaggerate them if the virus was as serious as we were led to believe!

Just so you know, they only tested people with symptoms during our viral surges, so they stopped testing everyone else, so our official numbers during those periods are incorrect.

Ya, I think one us is out of our depth here aright! Let's leave it shall we!

You are beginning to journey on the right track. Except in January 2022 they stopped testing a large number of people who had both symptoms and positive antigen tests . Keep going, you will get there eventually. I hope

So do you accept that comparing the numbers, all numbers for January with the numbers for any other month is useless and meaningless?

Getting warmer. Now do remind me who started this detour by comparing January/February 2021, when anyone who wanted a test could get one, with January /February 2022 when even people with positive antigens tests couldn’t?

infection and confirmed cases fell off a cliff in January 2021, only confirmed cases fell off a cliff in January 2022. And anyone who had work in this country in January could tell you that as it ripped through half the country in three months

I am going to ask you again, do you accept that the data for January 2022 (and Jan 2021) is incomplete therefore useless? Can you just answer that please? It isn't hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

It’s hilarious how they decided it was all over, Micheal Martin came out over the airwaves with his “War is over” speech and everything went back to normal and the sky didn’t fall in, the hospitals didn’t get overrun and the world didn’t end.

The whole thing was a farce since the second lockdown.

But you were the gobsh*te who was using jan 2021 and 2022 comparisons to attempt to make a point.

For Dunning-Krueger see Silentcorner

• Advertisement

Working his way to all data is fake news...

My god, you can't bring yourself to admit it can you? Why can't you answer the question?

You have heard of the fact that well over 90% of adults were vaccinated and the omicron variant was significantly less serious don’t you? And that these together reduced hospitalisation rates by 80% and fatalities even more so?

The woman who first reported the Omicron variant told us as such the previous November....I'm not sure what their vaccination rate was but I'm gonna bet it was much lower than ours?

You compared jan 2021 and jan 2022

I showed data that proves you cannot compare January 2021 and January 2022

You say, “ha, gotcha, admit you can’t compare them”

You still can't answer the question, we both know why you can't.

All I have done is suggest we got a viral surge in Jan 2021 and 2022 (we got the previous one in March/April 2020). And by February that surge had passed. The lock downs did absolutely nothing to bring the viral surge to an end... I don't need official numbers to confirm that, we all lived through it. We get viral surges every year, I am not aware of a single year in this country that we haven't seen one, can I produce data to back that up, of course I can't because we don't test people for the virus we normally see surging, the lack of data does not suggest we don't get viral surges.

I've never come across someone with so much faith in useless data than you, it's no wonder you can't interpret it, you don't understand what you are reading, I had to drag it out of you yesterday that our official figure of 8,000 deaths is inaccurate...you dragged that out all evening too!!!

My advise to you young man, is either get familiar with the world of data analytics and all it's pitfalls or stop consuming data...it's too much for you, seriously.

By right, you should remove those graphs you put up, it might as well be a drawing a 5 year did in arts class!

There was another wave and lockdown in Oct.

I am sorry but you have no clue what data analytics even is. You have just shown yourself to be completely Data illiterate and when facts don’t suit you just resort to your own personal facts

If you did actually assess data you would know all relevant data shows there was no evidence whatsoever that the surge passed in February 2022.

Here is some more:

Now let’s accept the contention that most covid admissions to hospital this year were incidental. It doesn’t really matter if we do or don’t. Now why do tell did hospital admissions not fall until April? Those being admitted to hospital were the only group getting consistently tested across this time period, you can see that can’t you?

Lets see what deflection you come up with next

There was an increase, much different to a viral surge.

In normal times, you can get the flu all year round, the vast majority don't, we see a viral surge at some point where infections are everywhere, a viral surge takes about 6 weeks to pass through the population then it recedes, you can I'm sure see times of the year where flu infections increase but the health system barely notices those increases...and as we never mass tested we aren't used to those kinds of ebbs and flows of infections.

During a viral surge however, the health system gets battered! We were in level 5 lock down from Oct-end of April 2020/2021, one of the most severe lock downs in Europe, we saw a surge in Dec/Jan regardless (this was "blamed" on the three week slight reprieve) when it was a natural occurrence.

The data we have is all over the place, rendering it virtually useless...and as viral infections travel through populations differently in every other country means comparing data to other counties is also useless. There is too much interference, too many different variables.

That of course didn't stop our media battering us every day relentlessly over the two year period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I see Paul Reid has followed in Ronan Glynn's footsteps in being given a big job with EY, a company which got millions worth of consultancy contracts with the HSE from the same Paul Reid during covid.

I also see Dr Tony got a big job with a laboratory which made millions from department of health from PCR testing after the state botched his fake trinity appointment while Dr 'Snakeoil' Philip Nolan was appointed director of Science foundation Ireland.

I'd really like to think that any future tribunal would look into possible corruption and cronyism in the above appointments

Advertisement