Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Update - October 2021

• 13-10-2021 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Saorview Information channel has moved from LCN 27 to 23.

2RN test pattern on LCN 51 is no longer hidden. Pressing the Blue button on a Hbb-equipped TV will show a Red button prompt labelled 'Brúigh', which will lead to extra text-based information, such as 2RN transmitter news. The audio, which previously carried Lyric FM, has been replaced with a 1kHz tone.

Post edited by StreetLight on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Change to LCN 51 (still unhidden) again today:

Blue and Red button features disabled.

On the soundtracks, Lyric FM is on the English, Raidio na Gaeltachta on the Irish, test tone on the Audio Description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Also keep an eye on LCNs 28 & 29, both hidden, there has been some testing on 28 - HbbTV?, 29 is named "Saorview Information"

Previous HbbTV testing thread - 2rn Hbb TV tests — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Previously hidden placeholders from 33 to 49 are now no longer selectable.

Aertel 169

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

It makes you wonder why they moved it from 23 to 27 a few years ago, to now move it back to its original LCN

Also, there's no Label on LCN 23, with EPG data in English and Irish every 24 hours

Just did a retune on a Saorview approved TV and it finds 59 channels on the 2 Muxes, why are Saorview still putting loads of hidden channels on its service 🤷

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

When I did the retune on Saorview earlier on a non HbbTv box; I do get the HD test channel on it. I did not receive any of the HbbTV test channels; however you do get a message that says "Load MHEG 5" written there on some channels instead.

The Saorview information video is now being simulcast on channel 29, with a label, but still hidden. It looks like it will be moved here after Sky News launches on channel 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Channel 29 Saorview information, is showing this screen.

The picture is going in and out of focus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭butwhynot

Just noticed the HD test was removed from LCN 14, presumably to make room for Sky News. (It happened on the 25th according to DigitalBitrate).

Interesting that 209 is shown on Saorview Info despite being hidden.

LCN 211 broadcasting silence (for UCB Ireland?) Not sure when it started though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Oireachtas TV is on air today (sunday) and it has subtitles

I saw that happen during the week as well. What are the plans for the HD test channel. Will it be able to return to Saorview any time soon? Are the HbbTV tests for Saorview Connect still continuing on as normal?

The test channel on 51 and the blank TV placeholders have all been removed (for the moment!). Still no video on the Information Channel 29, which has remained blank since VM4 launched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

The 2RN test channel (hidden 51) was back for a while here (Clermont Carn) this morning. Did I see a "red button" teletext test involving a graphic matrix?

I did a check here after that post and all the hidden channels and test channel were there, they didn't disappear for long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

I've noticed RTÉ Chill is no longer hidden on LCN 209

Ch 50 now has a test card, though its slightly different to Ch 51

LCN 50:

LCN 51:

LCN 50 is an MHEG-5 generated testcard, why?

Maybe check it out during the day when the do their HBBtv tests.

Also, the Saorview Information channel is now MHEG-5 generated. Both running on very low bitrates.

A strange anomaly with my Walker TV (again). It will display the MHEG5 slate on Channel 29, but when it comes to the MHEG5 test pattern on Channel 50, the TV dispays 'No Video Available', then goes into an endless cycle of crashes and reboots unless the channel-up or down button is pressed quickly during the reboot to get it onto any other channel.

All my other TVs display Channel 50 without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

I wonder if the MHEG5 test pattern on Channel 50 is a precursor to the launch of another channel with the data freed up from being used for channel 51, so 50 becomes the test channel for the trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I've posted in the Saorview HD thread, but it's relevant here too.

TG4 seems to be broadcasting in HD this morning. My box is reporting a resolution of 1440x1080.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

Time for RTÉ NL to fire up another mux for future growth.

RTE has only been allocated 2 muxes under the broadcasting act, any further mux has to be allocated by the BAI as per the act.

The running cost of any further mux will have to be borne by the users of the existing muxes as per the tariff model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Please no, not more empty carriers as I have to delete these every time I do a rescan here in N.Ireland and channels end up up all over the place.

A new MHEG5-generated test card has appeared on LCN 8, probably for the upcoming launch of Cúla4.

Post edited by StreetLight on

I presume this test card is in SD.

Could you tell us the resolution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

If it is Cula 4, I thought it would be on channel 18 after RTE JR.

Maybe Channel 8 is something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Probably VM5. They really need more space to showcase their wide selection of programmes 🙄😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Virgin Media Chase and Virgin Media Chase +1

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement