Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Well - if Joe is mentally unwell, how sharp is Doocy to be completely owned by him?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ronny Jackson should get right on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

What's that phrase MA and the crew are so fond of?

"Do as we say not as we do"

Sums it up perfectly alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

In relation to Joe Biden and Saudi Arabia. the damage was done long ago when the US buckled when Iran fired a dozen or so missiles into Saudi's oil production network. The previous president said no to retaliatory action and that stunned the Saudis. President Joe's problems were not helped by his advisers telling him to say all the wrong things since becoming president.

Dan.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Because of course they've issued a stay with zero legal basis.

I swear the running of the US doesn't belong in Congress because everything is constantly held up in litigation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Shock: Ron can't admit to his voters he's going to be an absentee governor while he runs for POTUS in 2024, but it's apparent from his entire 2022 run being about racing against Biden. If he tells them he'll serve 4 years without running for another office, he'll be a damned liar, and if he announces he's running in 2024 it will put him in quite a bind. The entire midterm strategy for GOP is posing to unseat Biden & Democrats, permanently if able, in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dingaan

Anyone watch the Pennsylvania debate? I'm reading, on Reddit, that it was a serious struggle for Fetterman.

The fella had a stroke. It effects your ability to communicate.

Oz, on the other hand, is extremely used to tv (having had a show pedalling all sorts of snake oil).

However, Oz managed to put his foot in it a couple of times, saying that he would vote for Trump and local politicians should have a say with regards to abortion services.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I didn't see the debate , but the reporting definitely seems to fall into two clear categories.

You have the right-wing outlets all claiming that Fetterman is completely and totally unfit for office because he stumbled over words etc. - Almost none that I have read so far actually have much to say about policies etc. , they just seem obsessed with the fact that he was using assistive technologies etc.

Then you have the other outlets that mostly seem to call it a draw or slightly in favour of Fetterman on the basis of the substance of what was said rather than "how" the words might have been spoken.

I wonder which is likely a more accurate reflection of what actually happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He didn't just stumble over his words though, he was totally unable to communicate coherently at times. For example

Yeah Oz is **** too, especially his comment about womens health is the business of elected officials. Doesn't make it ok that Fetterman is running. Seems like he should be concentrating on his recovery and not being trotted out in front of cameras. Painful to watch. The absolute state of American politics

"He didn't just stumble over his words though, he was totally unable to communicate coherently at times"

Sounds like most of the Republican candidates. Would take a stroke victim over the likes of MTG any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Stroke or no stroke, the sympathy vote shouldn’t influence candidates suitability to hold office.

That being said, it was 15 seconds more coherence than anything the current administration has come out with in 15 months 🤨

it was 15 seconds more coherence than anything the current administration has come out with in 15 months

how droll.

Why would it be a sympathy vote? He's still more suitable for office than the lunatic opposing him.

While indeed ‘twas droll, perhaps it would be better if I’d offered some context.

Obama’s exhibition of his oratory skills was always going to be a tough act to follow, but God damn, look what Democrats followed up with! The American people needed a leader who could display confidence, courage and strength, and what did they get?

A choice between being stuck with another four years of the fuzzy turd, and an old guy who Democrats hoped could be used like a ventriloquists dummy to appeal to the disenfranchised, disengaged minorities who have made it clear they want nothing to do with Democrats (important to note: they want nothing to do with Republicans either).

Appeals to being reasonable are not what the American people need to hear when America socially, politically and economically is the laughing stock of the Western world. A steady decline is not the kind of stability anyone wants, which appears to be all they’re getting from the current administration which promised to heal the rift in American partisan politics. So far just about all they’ve managed to do is… well, nothing really, to halt the decline or heal any rift. Don’t get me wrong, I like Biden, I just don’t think he has the necessary skills to do what his administration asked of the American people, because he doesn’t have their loyalty and respect, because they have no confidence in him as a leader, and so far, Biden hasn’t given them any reason to want to believe otherwise -

https://theconversation.com/amp/can-joe-biden-heal-the-united-states-political-experts-disagree-150519

Obama’s exhibition of his oratory skills was always going to be a tough act to follow, but God damn, look what Democrats followed up with! The American people needed a leader who could display confidence, courage and strength, and what did they get?

Awfully subjective wash.

America socially, politically and economically is the laughing stock of the Western world

This is just more of the same drollness. I even checked the dollar index to see if I missed something, like the dollar nosediving you know - but I don't see where this American Economy = Ha Ha Ha is originating from: right now the US is heavily funding the Ukraine War, European allies, meanwhile Europe is in for a miserable winter.

So far just about all they’ve managed to do is… well, nothing really, to halt the decline or heal any rift.

Seems like an unreasonable standard to demand he heal or decline such a subjective concept as a "rift." It's the Article II branch of Government, not the Kwisatz Haderach. Sure if Biden hasn't turned into Space Jesus, what's the point of a second term is what I am hearing.

Unfortunately, there is no public figure with the broad, bipartisan degree of trustworthiness you mention. Expecting that of a single person, almost always of one of two political majorities, seems like a recipe for erosion though.

You said it yourself - you’d take a stroke victim over the likes of MTG any day.

I wouldn’t, because it’s overlooking the fact that when the question was put to him about an allegation of not paying his taxes and he was asked how does he respond, he responded alright, with something, but it didn’t address the question he was asked, let alone provide anything resembling an explanation.

His lack of a coherent response has nothing to do with him having had a stroke, and more to do with the fact that he wished to avoid the question by responding with a non-explanation and then saying it hasn’t been an issue before! Just because it hasn’t been an issue before doesn’t mean it isn’t an issue now, and he failed to give an adequate explanation.

Having a stroke doesn’t turn anyone into a politician.

• Advertisement

The first part referring to Obama’s oratory skills is subjective, yes; the second part referring to what America needed, not so much, precisely because they are the laughing stock of the Western world in which they were once regarded as a Superpower nation. The ha-ha from outside of America is a bit more Nelson-like than clever satirical observation by late night US comedians like Trevor Noah (I will miss him), given the unfortunate state of the US economy, society and politics.

It’s the standard his administration set for themselves - the article is dated before he took up office, and it was his asking of the American people to come together, to heal the rift. It’s not subjective, it’s easily observed from an objective standpoint that there is a rift in America which has never been healed, and setting out to do so was always going to be a monumental task, one which can only be achieved by stopping the decline first, then building back better, on a solid foundation. None of that is possible while people appear to be in greater despair, less inspired and more insecure than they were during the era of the Great Depression. It’s why I kinda admire Southerners positive outlook in spite of them legitimately being in deeper shìt than the people in Northern states.

You’re right that what you’re hearing is what’s the point of a second term, I’m not even sure what the point of the first one was, and I was hoping that given you know American politicians much better than I do, there might have been a candidate with the broad, bipartisan support that not just I hoped for, but the American people so desperately need. It’s true I can’t see them coming from either Republican or Democrat, which is a poor show for a country with a population of 330m people and nobody who is capable of leading them. That in itself is an indication of an impoverished Nation that really has me wondering just how bad do things need to get before they get better?

That’s a rhetorical question btw, I’m pretty sure nobody has any clear idea and they’re just hoping to get through the next day without incident or injury.

Notably considered, though I’m certain Ms. McCain’s cognitive bypass is not the result of an acquired brain injury.

The point I’m making is that candidates suitability for office should not be evaluated by the degree of sympathy they evoke from the public, but rather by their policies, ideas and actions.

"but rather by their policies, ideas and actions."

Perfect - Fetterman it is then so!

I was speaking more generally about candidates running for office though? All you’ve done is demonstrated that people are willing to treat politics like X factor. I consider myself incredibly fortunate that I don’t live in Pennsylvania and I don’t actually have to choose between either candidate.

Oz doesn’t have any policies to speak of and appears to want to disguise this lack of any substance in personal attacks on Fetterman’s capacity on the basis he had a stroke. Fetterman on the other hand, also doesn’t have any policies to speak of and appears to want to disguise this lack of any substance… in the fact that he’s overcome having had a stroke.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/26/pennsylvania-senate-debate-mehmet-oz-john-fetterman

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/26/fetterman-oz-debate-democrats-pennsylvania-senate

https://www.witf.org/2022/10/27/fact-checking-misleading-claims-from-the-fetterman-oz-debate/

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/10/26/politics/fact-check-fetterman-oz-debate/index.html

Their positions on jobs and labour in the State are what’s of actual concern to most people I would imagine -

https://www.wesa.fm/politics-government/2022-09-07/how-pennsylvania-senate-candidates-john-fetterman-and-mehmet-oz-compare-on-jobs-and-labor

What’s making it difficult for traditional Republicans to support a candidate who is running under the Republican banner is that they can’t relate to cnuts. I don’t call them Republican candidates because they don’t express any Republican ideals, they just appear to be more interested in spiting Democrats as an election strategy, a strategy which appeals only to people who are spiteful. There’s a world of a difference between the two groups of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Cody montana

“Dow futures jump 300 points after a better-than-expected GDP report! GDP grew at 2,6%, better than the 2.3% expected.”

Oh sheeeet.

Damnit, I was informed we were in a recession that only the spend-and-spend GOP could buy our way out of. Damn

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It’s the standard his administration set for themselves - the article is dated before he took up office, and it was his asking of the American people to come together, to heal the rift. It’s not subjective, it’s easily observed from an objective standpoint that there is a rift in America which has never been healed, and setting out to do so was always going to be a monumental task, one which can only be achieved by stopping the decline first, then building back better, on a solid foundation. None of that is possible while people appear to be in greater despair, less inspired and more insecure than they were during the era of the Great Depression. It’s why I kinda admire Southerners positive outlook in spite of them legitimately being in deeper shìt than the people in Northern states.

The GOP are the party of the rift. While Biden's administration did try to get bipartisan consensus on things like Build Back Better, the GOP mobilized to install election deniers in an attempt to get the coup right the next time. It's the GOP that dove head first into the rift - and it worked well in the South (not sure who is more or less positive, having lived all over the US I'd say there's no clear majority, but Northerners seem to be more honest than Southerners at least, and less overtly racist.) The South hasn't gotten over losing the Civil War. Heck, TFG's merry band of terrorists succeeding in bringing the Confederate Flag to the capitol and defecated on the floors there. Robert E. Lee would've been happy to hear it.

We won't even go into racist gerrymandering in the South, to defend Congressional districts, the most draconian 'voter fraud' laws, assaults on women's health care and so on. Things would be better if the Electoral College were gone.

Anyway, you also said something about the country being in dire straits - based on what? Largest economy in the world (for now anyway?) Huge interest in it as a place to emigrate to? Sure, there's inflation - there's always inflation and it's a convenient stick to beat people with when you're the party in power. We'll note that there's no GOP plan to address it. Cut taxes to spike growth and borrow to make up deficits like Liz Truss? Nope - the answer from the GOP is 'trickle down' which doesn't work, and 'more deregulation' which is usually not what people really want, either.

Greater despair than the Great Depression? Where do you get this stuff? Huge income inequality, sure, and that's at the foot of both parties. Bar some party stepping up and doing the hard things to address that, oh heck, bar the Democratic party doing something about it, nothing will change. I know better than to expect the GOP to do anything.

And as for oratory skills, well, of the last 5 presidents (to Clinton), I'd say the Democratic POTUS's were way better than the GOP peers. GWB? TFG? The first one regularly fumbled and was a moron on camera. The latter was, well, something... exceptional. As in exceptionally awful as an orator. I still remember John Oliver putting the word Iran into an Iphone and pressing on the recommended replies and what came out sounding so much like a TFG speech.

What’s making it difficult for traditional Republicans to support a candidate who is running under the Republican banner is that they can’t relate to cnuts. I don’t call them Republican candidates because they don’t express any Republican ideals, they just appear to be more interested in spiting Democrats as an election strategy, a strategy which appeals only to people who are spiteful. There’s a world of a difference between the two groups of people

Not difficult for the GOP at all. 72million of them voted for TFG in the 2020 race. If they are having difficulty supporting him, vote for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Cody montana

They’re still hoping on a nuclear war though.

Yknow, don’t underestimate Putin’s ability to monkey the political situation up in the next 2 weeks

• Advertisement

Advertisement