Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Yeah the totally not drunk woman started a row with someone queuing to use a bathroom who was minding their own business.

Then according to staff in the bar the totally not drunk woman threathend violence.

Id hope she was drunk at least that would go some way to explain her behavior and why she couldn't just mind her own business and get on with her life and had to start abusing and threathing innocent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Oh great, it will be the Salem witch trials all over again. The woke puritans must be salivating for some victimhood points.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Far too strict to be abused? That doesn’t make any sense. It only makes sense if you imagine there are new laws being created, which there aren’t. What you’re arguing is similar to what people opposed to marriage equality tried to argue in suggesting that the legislation was an attempt to redefine marriage. It wasn’t, and neither is this. The concept of ‘hate speech’ always existed in Irish law under various pieces of legislation. All the new legislation is doing, is clarifying and codifying existing legislation under new legislation. Same old ding-dong, as it were.

Nothings happened in the UK only a couple of old farts getting their collars felt by the police. If that’s the extent of your concerns I’d suggest you had nothing to be concerned about. If you’re shot by the police for expressing your opinions, then you might have legitimate reason to suggest people should be concerned, but both here and in the UK we’re a long ways off that point yet, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Holy God the language used in this post is toxic.

Honestly John do you really put other humans into groups like you have in this post and imagine them in the way you have described this other group in this post?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Why would I appose gay marriage ? We will see when the legislation is presented. As I said previous incarnations of these changes included other stuff. No one should have there collar felt up by cops not understanding the law. That's the Issue you get when you create it in a way that is completely nebulous. NO one is getting shot in Ireland regardless of what happens in America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Hodger

It highlights real life examples of creeps being creeps in women,s spaces previously not possible until unisex bathrooms likewise with some schools who have unisex bathrooms.

" My cousins 11 year old daughter just started secondary school, last week was using the 'gender neutral toilets' when a group of year 11 boys were caught filming her under the cubicle door.

She's obvs very distressed but the schools response is that it's not such a serious issue.. "

https://twitter.com/LadyBellatrix1/status/1576653289672048640

Once again previously not possible in schools until some schools brought in unisex bathrooms.

Not everyone is on board or agrees with the idea that it should be socially acceptable for a man to be in a women,s bathroom or women,s changing area.

As this young woman took to social media to highlight men walked in on her in the changing area.

Such was seen as socially unacceptable when I was growing up, and I still see it as socially unacceptable regardless of whatever hate speech laws are put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Great news

We have had hate speech laws in Ireland since 1989. It hasnt adversely affected free speech.

The case where a Kerry man set up a facebook to "promote the use of knacker babies as sharkbait" should have been prosecuted but the 1989 law made that impossible. In this case there was a promotion of murdering traveller young children because they were travellers. A very clear case of hate speech and incitement to hatred that should have been easily prosecutable. A very clear case showing the 1989 law is unworkable and needs to be updated.

Hate speech is not free speech and there is no absolute right to free speech.

The European Convention on Human Rights for example limits the right to freedom of expression.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Or the DPP did not think it was serious ? Again we need to see what's included now. Hate is being amended. Last suggestion was "anyone thinking it's Hateful"

" Hate speech is not free speech and there is no absolute right to free speech. " Terms like " Terfs " and " Cis men " and " cis women " terms some trans advocates use to label people who don,t agree with them; free speech or hate speech in your view ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

There is No absolute right to free speech - censorship would have not stopped Hitler, censorship Is what Hitler used to get power.

Can you actually point me to a credible source that says criticism or objections to trans ideology will now be prosecutable?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You clearly havent even read the Irish Times article you posted a link to.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I didn’t suggest you would oppose gay marriage. I suggested that your argument that there is anything new in the proposed legislation is similar to the argument which was made at the time that marriage equality would redefine marriage.

I agree with you that nobody should have their collar felt by cops not understanding the law, and I don’t see anyone arguing in favour of that idea. The only people who are making those kinds of suggestions are people complaining about the proposed legislation before it’s even been published.

there are 4 genders - masculine feminine common and neuter

The world hasnt collapsed since our 1989 law...

Terry Pratchet

But apparently as it's to robust it needs looking at ?

Some people may or may not have heard of this Incident of the youngster who was kicked out of secondary school class for daring to say " there are only two genders " .

In the video you can hear the teacher saying " no discrimination " there you go a real life example of someone being accused of " discrimination " for pointing out basic facts such as there are only two genders .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,961 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This thread is going as expected.

We didn't have "hate speech" legisation in Ireland before now, but we did have the Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act 1989, as quoted in the above article.

That is basically being updated to include the new term "hate speech" and what that entails. It's tightening up what was already there. It will only remain to be seen as it's more or less in at this stage (correct me if I'm wrong and can still be opposed). It shouldn't be used for an individual or group to go after an individual, the main part is still the intent to incite hatred, and a singular opinion framed as such is not that. The person who is the alleged perpetrator will have to be proven to want or be reckless to inciting hatred. I think the people, and I hate using the term, with a following (be they public figures, social media gobshytes influencers, anyone with an audience) are the ones who are most susceptible to it. People with a platform be wary, knee-jerk reactions will have to end.

It will 100% be all about the circumstances, but I can also see it being misused, or used incorrectly. The worry of stifling proper debate is there, but it purports to have space for that, but will remain to be seen. It's good for the country overall, but the whole situation is still very volatile and split. It does still appear to have a hard with us/against us view, whereas the majority are somewhere in the middle, be it more to one side or the other. Like any new legislation, there will be a teething period and amendments exist and do happen.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

How does the BBC as a credible source sound for you ?

Some people might of heard of the Harry Miller case in the UK.

Some background

Now to quote the BBC story

" An ex-police officer has won a legal challenge against a national policy for forces to record gender-critical views as non-crime "hate incidents".

Humberside Police visited Harry Miller in January 2020 after a complaint over alleged transphobic tweets he made.

It was recorded on a national database as a non-crime hate incident.

But the Court of Appeal ruled on Monday the guidance was wrongly used and it had a "chilling effect" on Mr Miller's freedom of speech. "

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-59727118

There is no absolute right to free speech anywhere.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Funny this happened to happen to a single issue anonymous anti-trans troll account holder with nothing to back it up. Not saying it didn't happen but it didn't happen.

Do they even have gender neutral toilets in secondary schools in *checks the profile bio* Terf Island?

The problem I see is that the people for this never see it as going to effect them. Their not seeing those against it are actually trying to protect everyone. I could not care less being called CIS. But if the law is applied equally then that will have to go someone might find it hateful. Currently we have a benign government. What happens when a truly right wing one gets in. Governments are fast to take rights and abuse them. Not so much giving them back.

So it's a complaint the judge did not rule the right way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

This isnt something that happened overnight.

The man who called for traveller children to be murdered should have been prosecuted but couldnt be because the 1989 act wasnt strong enough.

Terry Pratchet

Why not in what way ? Are you suggesting simply posting something is the crime and not the motivation and a whole host of other issues that would never be acted on ? Simply posting that is the crime and should be met with the full force of the law ?

I agree with immigration - from an economic point of view we need a steady supply of cheap labour and some skilled labour. But I also believe that those who disagree with mass immigration should be able to state so freely without fear of the very government that Is promoting that mass migration using the laws to stifle any criticism

• Advertisement

Advertisement