Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and Clubs to get longer opening hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I can't see many venues staying open until 6am. A few clubs in Dublin and maybe one in each of the other cities. The cost of staying open until then will put many places off.

It'll be difficult to get staff to work the extra hours too. And there are lots of extra costs that people won't think about. For instance, if a barman or bouncer works from 10pm until 6am, they'll be considered night workers and will have to do medical assessments, restrictions on the number of hours that can be worked etc. in line with night work laws.

I've no problem with pubs and clubs staying open longer if that's what the public want but I must admit I do find extending opening hours at total odds with legislation such as MUP that is designed to reduce the amount of drinking that takes place.

I wonder will they relax the laws around opening hours for the off licence trade? If they don't, it goes to show that the publicans have a good grip on FF/FG/GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'm basing it on years working in pubs in Ireland. And now living on the continent with longer opening times.

In your example there is a fight at 12, which takes the cops off the street for 4 hours. Then the cops are there again for closing providing a presence which acts as a detterent to trouble. People have left the club as they got tired over the night meaning that fewer people are thrown out at 6 together.

At the moment there is a fight at 12 taking the cops off the street for 4 hours. Then at 2 everyone is thrown out of the club together, fights happen as there is no police presence and loads of people fighting for taxis and food at the same time.

The first is what I see where I live now. The second is what I saw in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

I don't know how clubs are going to pay for staff and costs to stay open until 6am. Even when I was in my 20s, there were only a few nights when I would wanted to stay in a nightclub past 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

giving where most people seem to think the economy is heading, i doubt the pubs or clubs will be too packed come this time next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'm guessing they were worried that bringing it in so soon before Xmas wouldn't end well. No bedding in period with parties, NYE etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

They should definitely plan around what you wanted to do when you were in your 20s too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You were in the vast vast minority in my experience

Every single piece of news bar one Leo remark has said it would be 2023, gotta make sure it's watertight before you pass it.

When I was young, the internet was quite young too. And one thing I have learnt in that fresh internet is to speak from my own experience and not to assume that I know what other people know or want. So from my own experience and I partied a lot in my 20s, I cannot see myself supporting night clubs being open until 6am. If your experience is different, you are free to share it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Would have loved this to have come in 20 years ago. Went to loads of good DJ sets and electronic music performances from various artists back in the day and would have loved for some of these sets to have continued late into the morning. But those days are gone, no intention of going to any sort of nightclub these days, no matter who is playing, too auld and can't be arsed dealing with any of that noise.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

When I did party late, the normal flow would be going to a pub for a few pints, then a nightclub, then a takeaway. If we still felt like continuing, then we would go to one of our friend's house to party until the morning.

If I stayed in the club until 6am, then the whole takeaway at 2am experience is gone. And I would be hungry and drunk at 6am. Not my idea of fun, but if you are saying that this is what the vast majority would want, then sure, nightclubs should make enough profit to make it worthwhile.

• Advertisement

Your flow could change, relaxed pints in the pub until later, then some food and then head to the nightclub.

Or you keep your same flow and the people who want to keep going can do that.

You and everyone else has more options with the later openings. What makes you think food places wouldn't be open at 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Its a different equation for food places... they want a concentration of customers not dribs and drabs.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You could still have the food at half 2, then head to a nightclub, that's part of the mentality that has to change, food doesn't have to be at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,681 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plenty open at 6 as it stands, particularly in Dublin city centre. Most McDonalds, some shop/petrol station delis, some Subways etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

There's definitely demand to stay out til 4am. Coppers is often full at 4 and the Black Door also.

Definitely Dublin can support a few clubs at weekends which stay open til 5 or 6.

Maybe serve til 4 and close at 4.30 to 5.

Maybe stretch it to 6 when they feel like it.

When I was in that 18 to 25 partying age, we'd go back to someone's house til 4 or 5 or 6 no problem.

Often people would head to an early morning bar then.

I welcome the news. People have been talking about this for decades as they experience it in other countries.

I honestly don't find Dublin that wild at that time anyway. I've been around Harcourt and Camden street at 3 to 5am and you see the odd fight but not much.

Considering that there's 1000s of young drunk people wandering around looking for food and taxis, then it's very civilised.

Once I think I got spiked and passed out in a doorway and people were trying to help me. Most people are decent despite drink bringing out the worst in people.

I think people leaving places at staggered times will reduce conflict anyway, thats based more on intuition that hard data.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yeah it would have been great back then when the electronic music scene was popular and there was plenty of nightclubs. I don't really see the point of it now when there are feck all nightclubs left.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Re this proposal - a multitude of issues have been pointed out that will need to be addressed.

the letters to the Irish times on this topic is almost 100% negative

The idea that aggressive ppl off their bin coming off 8+ hours of heavy drinking and drugging should be mixing on the street at 6 am with “sober society” in shops/commuting/working/heading to school etc etc is simply just asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

If only we had data from somewhere else to use.

Oh look a study from 18 Norwegian cities who either extended or restricted opening hours

(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3380552/)

Here's a snippet:

In Norway, each additional 1-hour extension to the opening times of premises selling alcohol is associated with a 16% increase in violent crime.

The letters to the Irish Times are not representative of the general public. I’d hazard a guess that not a single letter writer would be effected by this decision in any way.

There has been several reports published on the topic over the years. The latest task force report was last year. The cabinet agreed to proceed this week. We’re a long way from legislation etc

Its simply not true that anything was unilaterally decided without all relevant stakeholders being consulted.

Legitimate concerns are fine, but most I’ve read are not really based in reality. Pandering to those types shouldn’t happen

• Advertisement

dodge - your assertions are simply wrong

a growing number of stakeholders have said they have NOT been consulted on this

The big major one is the Guards.

They say it’s all news to them - no consultation - and they have MAJOR concerns

it was on morning Ireland yesterday if you want to hear their comments

Also mentioned.

we identified a total of nine studies in the English language which had assessed possible effects of changes in on-premise trading hours on violence (Table 1). Six of these studies addressed extended trading hours [15–20], whereas three addressed restrictions in closing hours [21–23]. Overall, the findings from these studies are not consistent. Some studies have demonstrated associations in the expected direction, i.e. an increase in violence rates following increased trading hours and vice versa, whereas other studies have reported no association or even a decrease in violence rates with increased trading hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The idea that readers of the Irish Times should have a say in this is laughable, when the majority of them will be tucked up on the couch with their slippers on, sipping on a glass of well-aged wine. Completely unaffected but this decision, but eager to voice their "concern" in an effort to show they're still relevant.

Dodge - The Irish Medical organisation (the IMO ffs!) have expressed major concerns too

link below in case ppl think I’m making up porker pies

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/national-news/948857/extension-of-alcohol-licensing-laws-regressive-and-harmful-imo-says.html

Here’s a quote for the TLDR

“This move is, at best, not thought through and, at worst, regressive and ultimately harmful.

“Alcohol is an extremely dangerous drug which causes huge amounts of direct and indirect harm every day.

“There is no justification for extending licensing laws given its harmful impact on people’s health. The last thing we need is to increase people’s exposure to it.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The hand wringers are out in force now. How dare anyone be allowed drink alcohol or have fun in this country - you should all be ashamed for taking a harmful and dangerous drug and dont get me started on the dancing!

Seriously though, outfits like the IMO would only be happy if we went full prohibition on alcohol. Despite most of their members having a real fondness for the drink, the official stance is always that even the slightest bit of alcohol is bad for health ergo any move to make it more accessible = a bad thing. Its totally black and white with them, which is why their opinion is not to be taken too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

Serious amount of fear mongering going on. These disgusting excuses of human beings cant enforce their morality on people from the pulpit anymore so now its done through objections to housing, leisure, alcohol etc. The smoking ban lit the flame for these types and gave them another avenue to use to torment the general public, I agree with the smoking ban but it just showed the nimby types that although their beloved churches influence on Irish society had pretty much collapsed the old Irish solution of 'banning stuff' would be kept alive and re enforced by a different means. You won't find a more despicable type of person that those who think they know what's best for you. Ireland is rapidly becoming a soulless place, little or no craic or real happiness in the place now except for the nimby types who revel in the misery.

Included as a member of the Taskforce was Michael McElgunn, Chief Superintendent of AGS and two members from the Department of Justice.

Read the report to see where AGS are mentioned. They certainly did contribute

The complaints seem to be from the GRA, and sounds like they’re looking to leverage this for more money for their members

Ill say it again. Everybody who wanted to have a say, did have a say. That they didn’t get to have everything they way they wished, well that’s just the way of the world

Maybe that chief superintendent should explain to his members within the guards about this new half baked plan then because it seems the guards have major major issues with this.

• Advertisement

Its ok for them to have concerns. Their concerns feed into the overall decision

Nobody can say AGS were not consulted. They were.

Advertisement