Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Why so cynical? Traffic management is part of the contract. There is a problem, so the contractor has to resolve it. Light sequencing is the easiest way to do that, but the lights are not under control of the contractors. Best thing would be to shut them off and install temporaries that they can control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

You might be surprised, but a significant number of people use the old youghal road (Glounthaune) when the N25 backs up. It never ever works out faster for them, but it's a lot of people's favourite rat-run!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Not being cynical, just realistic.

Whereas they have publically announced that the temporary lane closure northbound from the tunnel will lead to delays they have not even acknowledged the chaos on the N25 that has been caused by the Ibis slip closure.

My guess is they will leave things as-is in the hope the soon to be opened southbound slip under ST05 will help. As a daily user of the N25 and the tunnel I hope I am wrong of course.

Absolutely they do when the road is backed up but the majority will use the N25 and go through Little Island if traffic is backed up to there.

Seeing traffic backed up on the N25 past Cobh Cross will force many folks to rat run off the slips through Carrigtwohill and onto Glouthuane for sure.

They're a VERY complex set of lights, with SCOOT UTC intelligent management, queue sensors and all of that stuff applied to all of the junctions and very large, overhead light heads to make them visible to multi-lane wide approaches and all of that.

The contractor just needs to tell them what they need to do / work with them. Replacing them with temporary lights would be a pretty lousy idea and might even cause knock on problems into other junctions in the city network as there's an overall management system.

It's not that complicated for the council to adjust flows. It's a few mouse clicks these days.

• Advertisement

Just dropping this one in here :D I had a feeling that sending the "Ibis" traffic through Little Island was a bad idea.

I also still have a "gut feeling" that sending the Dublin-to-Cork traffic that way in the future is a bad idea.

Edit: by "bad idea" I of course acknowledge that it shouldn't cause anything like the current jams, just saying that people will probably find alternative routes if they can

The SCOOT system should also be attempting to modify the queues btw without any external changes. It can adapt to flows, but if you make a very sudden change to multiple junctions simultaneously or a major radical alteration, without reprogramming it, you can really confuse it. Those systems are based on some degree of learning patterns by monitoring sensor networks and optimising flows.

Directing traffic through those junctions and ignoring the lights / installing temporary controls locally can actually create problems with those traffic management systems as you're suddenly giving it completely confusing inputs. It's a reason they really need to closely coordinate diversions / local management with the councils' traffic management people. E.g. lights may need to be flipped into flashing orange mode or switched off if there's local traffic control in place.

They're usually not just timed, there's a whole lot of sophistication. It's also why day one of a major change can cause some odd reactions until the timings are adapted again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

You don't get your victory lap just yet, I was saying the final design will be faster, from IBIS over the new bridge and down into the tunnel rather than joining M8 traffic to go through the roundabout.

At the moment traffic is going down to the Glounthaune bridge to turn

I misunderstood, I thought you meant this week! Yes the final design will be WAY better, once there's free-flow into the tunnel from the East.

The Ibis slip road was a problem anyway, to be honest. Traffic was backing up on Glashaboy Hill most mornings, and there was a lot of bad behaviour on the M8 Southbound merge, even leading to police monitoring it. It needed to be dealt with, regardless of the new Little Island West interchange.

I still reserve the right to point out the M8South traffic rat-running off the M8, to avoid the Little Island interchange towards the end of next year when the overall project is complete though! We will see that at Dunkettle Roundabout (Glanmire Village direction) and Riverstown Cross, if anywhere. And of course, hopefully I'm wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just to remind people that the temporary slip from N25W to N40Tunnel going under the unused bridge will NOT be freeflow. That comes much later. They said they will relocate traffic lights. Quite what it will do to flow etc I don't know as yet.

I think it won't be too long now until M8S to N25E opens - now that Ibis is closed thats straightforward. But its unfair to give the M8 everything, give us poor longsuffering Cobh - Tunnel commuters some sauce!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Apologies, if this was discussed earlier.

Is the ibis slip due to reopen or is it gone for good.

Ibis slip is gone for good yep. The future plan for that traffic flow is very close to what's in place now. They will cross the newly-opened dumbell interchange (Little Island West) then begin to head towards the tunnel, merging with the N25 (Midleton) traffic heading either towards Tivoli or the Tunnel (2 distinct routes, from the newly-opened Interchange Westwards).

The M8N (Dublin) traffic will join them through that newly-opened dumbell interchange. They will meet at what is now the (currently unfinished) northern roundabout of the newly-opened interchange.

I hope all this makes sense.

TLDR: yes Ibis slip gone for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Same problems in Eastgate anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

i think some of the delays we are currently seeing are just the beginning of much wider issue that is going to arise in multiple other locations in the city roads infrastructure once dunkettle is completed.

Take all the current ibis/little island/midleton traffic heading towards the tunnel and freeflow all that (along with all the m8 traffic) right down the funnel that is the bloomfield merge/douglas flyover and there will be issues. granted there is no traffic light but that merge is going to slow right down and inevitably cause tailbacks.

Similarly, freeflow all the traffic hitting the Glanmire roundabout & Little Island and there could be issues.

The pessimist in me feels the anything gained at dunkettle is probably just going to be shifted elsewhere with little overall gain in more general terms, yes you will get through dunkettle easier but you may just end up delayed further along on your journey.

Hopefully i'm wrong but i'm just not overly confident about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Bar the old dunkettle roundabout, there’s free flow for a long way in every direction, so it should spread the traffic enough to remove major pinch points.

it shouldn’t be like when they removed Kinsale rd roundabout and it all moved to the sarsfield rd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

It’ll drastically improve getting out of the city.

However it will put untold pressure on the Douglas flyover.

I actually think the Dunkettle Roundabout is the biggest issue. With it now being signalised, you could see traffic backing up from it onto the new interchange and clog it up.

Bloomfield/Douglas, Dunkettle Roundabout, Lakeview, are all going to be under pressure, for sure.

Possibly also Mahon (southbound).

The solutions won't be More N40 works. It can't be. N/M40 North might be a partial solution, but we really need to start giving people viable alternatives as a matter of high priority.

The Douglas flyover will become the single worst bottleneck in the country when Dunkettle is done. I've said that before on this thread but I really hope I'm wrong.

Especially when the M28 gets done. Jamups in the morning will stretch from there to Dunkettle (if you look solely at the length of the jams at the moment and put them all there).

In the evenings it will be far better yes, but I still worry about the Dunkettle roundabout and traffic backing up onto the N40W to N25E slip from the new Little Island junction.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. But apart from the increased frequency on the railway lines to Cobh and Midleton, and possibly the Cork Luas (if that isn't judicial reviewed out of existance like Busconnects will be), then there is no plan to do anything at all - and realistically not much that CAN be done.

There are a few smaller bits coming through on the cycling side too, which will help. Some of these are in the near future and can take a couple of percent of users off the N40. And BusConnects, which is a long way off will take a few per cent more. Remember the big issue (and part of the solution) isn't the long-distance people (Youghal to Ballincollig, say) but the more typical commuter doing 5-10km. I know people who cycle for leisure but commute through the tunnel: getting them a comfortable route and facilitating them at the endpoint can get cars off the N40 for certain: distance or fitness isn't the problem for them it's the safety and the (dis)comfort.

I also know people doing 40km each-way through the tunnel daily. Those are the people who aren't going to easily find alternatives.

Edit: it's CMATS basically, let's be honest with each other. We need implementation of more of CMATS. And increasing N40 capacity isn't a part of that plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Thanks for the detail... I knew it was centrally controlled, but not the exact system used. But the difficulties I was referring to aren’t technical. The problem really isn’t the mouse-click, but getting the authorisation for the person clicking the mouse to take their instructions from the contracting company on site, given that the sequencing (or rather the configurations for each approach route) will have to change a number of times over the next few months.

The fact that this wasn’t done already suggests that there’s poor communication between Cork City Council and the contractor around traffic management.

Post edited by KrisW1001 on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Backed up beyond Carrigtwohill this morning. They really need to do something fast. Unsustainable situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Drivers on the dublin road must think that all their Christmases have come up at once

Look how clear it is at 8.20 !!

The issue on the N25 caused by the Ibis slip closure hasn't even been acknowledged on the Dunkettle app or on their related social media platforms.

I'd say this will be the norm going forward in the hope that upcoming road changes may help alleviate the problem.

It would be worth driving up through Knockraha and coming back down the M8. Would prob add 15 minutes to a normal journey but save an hour here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

I come that way twice a week and had become used to it being backed up a good bit....2 kms maybe?

Anyway, this week I flew through there, no traffic there but it seems to just have moved up to around Silversrings and the Lower Glanmire Road. Absolutely jammed and barely moved from there all along the quay into Penrose Wharf.

Some N25 traffic and local traffic in Glanmire is likely avoiding the tunnel and heading through town instead.

• Advertisement

I have two more comments which will get me rained on!

1) I don't think they'll do anything with the worse N25W jamups. When they closed the left hand lane on the N40E coming out of the tunnel, it was done with promises that they'd reduce the scope of the works as soon as they could. Now, I know they have had problems with awful weather. But they haven't removed a single centimeter of works so far and they seem to just not care about the increased delays in the evening. They should manage jamups to the best of their ability, but so far they just haven't bothered it seems. The best we'll get is a cursory mention about increased queuing in the newsletters.

2) Is SCOOT actually doing anything? The sequence of the lights is the same at all times of the day, day or night. It doesn't use the sensors to dynamically change anything at low traffic conditions during the night in the way some crossroads do. And the length of any of the greens doesn't change either. It also hasn't dynamically adjusted anything now that the jams have moved to N25W and that M8S has no jams at all in the mornings. Nothing has changed. I have yet to see an iota of evidence that SCOOT is actually adjusting for anything and they've had several days now to gather data. Reduce the M8S green time slightly, increase the N25W green times. Simple. But I grant you the execution might be trickier.

Advertisement