Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guilty of manslaughter of Waterford fisherman

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It's great to have someone in the know with more data. Can you give us your analysis of the subtle data to enlighten us all? Thanks in advance.

First, can you explain the term 'subtle data'? As I thought data was just data and didn't know it was trying to fool us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Quitelife

What i took from the case was - Mans car is damaged , he believes Kerri did it , gets angry , drinks pints and goes to sort out Keri but Keri stabs him to death instead.

I think the sentence is far too leniant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well no, If someone dies pretty much instantly the force used by definition was excessive, especially when a blade is used.

Reasonable / Excessive is pretty much subjective and not based on anything calculable.

The use of excessive force therefore is not a tangible bench mark and completely down to the whim of Jury, or you and me.

In this case he stabbed him once, and the attacker fled.

Even if had stabbed him multiple times, you would think that would be excessive, but a Jury of the day may not come to that conclusion as referenced in a similar case or in the case of the 16 year old boy.

Now I know everything cannot be black and white and match nicely up with legislation.

But there is precedents based on the law and based on that going forward it certainly needs to be tidied up.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Let's not hold judges up as being beyond questioning when it comes to the law and applying it - Martin Nolan cough cough

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

That is what the law says. The judge was just explaining their options to them.

If he used objectively reasonable force - not guilty of anything

If he used objectively excessive force but believed it was reasonable - manslaughter

If he knew he was using excessive force - murder.

Now, establishing what constitutes 'objectively excessive force' seems very tricky to me, but as I said in an earlier post, I'd imagine that the typical juror would naturally sympathise with the person whose home was broken into in situations such as these, and would be loath to find them guity if they could avoid it, so I wonder what evidence was presented that did make them reach the verdict they did.

• Advertisement

No Facebook is not reliable at all, can't believe I have to explain that someone.

As for his friend, his convictions came after that night.

The jury heard that Jones is currently serving time for three burglary offences, the first of which occurred in August 2019, less than a month after this incident

But again this preputial trouble maker has no previous convictions, a 17 year old Keyser Söze if you will.

Maybe lay off the Facebook for fact finding, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

so the judge got it wrong and you know better? righto.

the same qualification that allows them to decide guilt or innocence.

completely down to the whim of Jury

I'm not sure I would describe the deliberations of a jury as a whim. they are the ones who decide if it is excessive or not if the case goes to trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So every judge since Nally was wrong then when the law was applied correctly or would you describe running someone through with garden shears appropriate force

• Advertisement

we are discussing a particular case. you think the judge gave the wrong instructions to the jury. please explain how he was correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Judges are often wrong, hence why we have levels of legal authority. Decisions by lower courts are often overturned by higher courts, because the higher court judged the lower to be wrong. The system is designed as it is because judges are not perfect, and are capable fault like all humans.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Not a single case since Nally where it was found to be self defence has it been anything but a full acquittal.

in what way were the judges instructions wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I never mention anything about this case, did I? I was clearly speaking generally. You were trying to frame judges as being incapable of fault, which is outright nonsense

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

i never said judges were incapable of fault. I asked what mistake this particular judge made in this specific case in the thread dedicated to that case. you are arguing against a point I never made.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭NiceFella

Oh Facebook isn't reliable enough for you is it not? Are they all Russian bot accounts? Is Putin taking an interest in this case? Or just maybe some people in the locality have a different perspective. Hmmm that's a tough one that.

Oh by the way, I'm sorry, did his innocent mate get his convictions after the fact? Well that's even worse isn't it? I suppose he only became a bad fella when he got the convictions after the fact. How naive are you?

The fact is, that many people have a fuller context on this which I think it's worth noting.

It is the whim of Jury because they don't have to explain their decision.

I think in cases like this more emphasise has to be placed on situation at the time and the mindset of the people involved. I know Jurys are instructed to examine the facts of the case which is correct, but when terms like reasonable and excessive are completely subjective and that subjectiveness is the deciding factor in if someone walks free or has their liberty removed.

For all the best will in the world of dealing with the facts of what happened in the moment, people still after time, use hindsight, The Judge and Probation service, 'you could have acted differently to end the attack' - it's infuriatingly simplistic. This lad has been deemed to be of moderate chance of reoffending because he couldn't tell the probation how he could have acted differently. That is farcical.

I'm reminded of Sully - The miracle on the Hudson. Where they tried to stitch him up for "crashing" the plane. They put several pilots into a flight Sim and all the pilots got the plane safely to airport. When they were then forced to use pilots who had no idea what was about to happen everyone of them crashed the plane.

If he used excessive force but had an honest belief that the force he used was necessary then he is not guilty of murder but guilty of manslaughter

The Jury found it was self defence and that he'd an honest belief it was reasonable force, whether it was or not doesn't matter anymore not since the change to the law in the Criminal Law (Defence and the Dwelling) Act 2011 after Nally.

If it was self defence then going by the very clear wording of the law then he didn't commit an offense, the Judge amended that adding the last part saying he would then be guilty of the lesser offense.

• Advertisement

Oh Facebook isn't reliable enough for you is it not

No, I think I have made that crystal clear, now please stop making a holy show of yourself and stop responding to me.

so who does decide if the force used was excessive? I cant think of anybody better than people who have listened to all the evidence in the case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Did you read the story? He broke into Kerrie's home. Smashed a window, broke in through the front door and attacked him in his bedroom.

I'm baffled at some of the clownish, smartarse responses on here. I think the fact that Kerrie was no angel and apparently had previous convictions is irrelevant. He was attacked by a much bigger, stronger 25 year old in his own bedroom.

The home should be everyone's safe haven. If you break into someone's house and attack them in the middle of the night then you should expect to be attacked in response. If you don't come out alive then that's on you. A good way to avoid such a fate is by not breaking into someone's home.

where did the jury decide it was self defence? they decided the force used was excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭NiceFella

No, you stopped making arguments because your clueless and have no good arguments to make. That's why. Good day

I'm saying the emphasis on something that is subjective should not be the main contributor to find someone guilty or innocent.

Personally I think especially in a violent home invasion, it should be lawful to do what every it takes to end it if there is a reasonable assumption that ones life and health is in danger.

you can't exclude subjective decisions from criminal law. funny though you then go on to mention "reasonable assumption" which is subjective in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

Sounds like a result (in light of local boardsies' evidence 😊) then that that particular scumbag is locked up for a year or so; tho, myself, I feel that extreme prejudice should be allowed when one's home is violated

If they didn't then it would have found him guilty of murder.

Prior to 2011 is was based on what force was objectively reasonable, then 2011 changed that. Appropriate force or what he/she honestly believed to be appropriate.

Based on the decision they decided it was an honesty held belief so it was self defence, and by the inappropriate instruction then meant guilt of a lesser charge even when the 2011 act makes no such distinction between reasonable force and believed reasonable force.

• Advertisement

Could you point out where I said it should be excluded?

Now there is a decent debate to be had here, but if it is just going to descend into bad faith posting, there really is no point is there?

Would be nice for once if a debate on here didn't go straight down the plug hole.

Advertisement