Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

I get that. It I just think it's poorly done saying print them out by DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Ah jaysus....yet more taper madness 😂

Wrong thread but the point stands

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

If anyone is minded to use the Satipharm promo code CBD4RUNNERS - it does give 50% off on their website, AND the order confirmation email said they will include 2x free packs of "Active* capsules which are close to expiry (I for one would use them regardless). That's a great deal if they arrive, £23 for 3 packs delivered, normal cost £123

FWIW, I'm naturally sceptical about most supplements, but at least this is a cheap way to try these for my joint pain.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

As above, I'm sceptical about these things but in my own experiments with beetroot juice I am fairly convinced it had a positive effect for races up to 10 mile/haf. Hit several PBs when using it. Going by research the advice was to take a dose a couple of hours before race. Not sure that dosing all week is required.

I started with 1 litre of regular juice, which gave gastric issues, was glad the concentrated shots became available. Visiting the toilets beforehand freaked a few people out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

An article I read (can't find it now) a couple of weeks ago recommended increasing your nitrate intake from about a week out. A bit like carb loading from a few days out I guess. Maybe you're adapting and increasing your storage capacity, and or stressing the systems that process it, making you more efficient at it on race day.

That opinion is formed from my extensive background in nothing whatsoever to do with the scientific field of sports nutrition. 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Its probably been posted already but how or never, the route run through for 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

checks weather, stretches dodgy leg under the desk, looks at pacing charts, twiddles thumbs, refreshes boards, rinse, repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I have been doing the beetroot shots the last week & was using it previously Can't say I'm a huge fan but if it helps(many people swear by it) then I don't mind!

https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/beetroot-juice-benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Does it not make you go .. eh you know erm poo poo a lot.? Sounds like something that would make you have to.

I haven't had that experience anyway.

One thing that surprised me was how nice it tasted. Was expecting to be gagging.

Drinking that Rabenhorst brand. Supervalu sell it. Touch of lemon in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hugeglobe

A litre of regular beetroot juice, you bet. The concentrated shots, not so much.

No harm to have a clean out before race day, not so handy before or during the race :-)

I could drink the BeetIt juice by the gallon, it's mixed with apple i think.

The shots are rank, you've just got to neck them and grimace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Is the tracking 'live' or does it only update as you cross over one of the (very infrequent) timing points? Just wondering whether I need to bring my phone or not for the strava beacon functionality for my families benefit...

Also in Wave 3 which is at 9:25 - is getting to the start line for 8am a bit, em, early? had a dream that I missed the start of the marathon last night, so don't want to take any chances! cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭LastFridayNight

Been great seeing all the runners out over the last couple months or so doing their final marathon prep. Definitely the most runners I've see out around Dublin since the lockdowns when all the normally-in-the-gym people were out getting their fitness buzz on. Great too to see the running tourists arrive this last week, out for their shakedowns after traveling to Dublin. You can tell they are tourists as they are usually wearing nicer clobber than us locals :) The marathon really does draw quite a large international crowd, great to see it. Best of luck to everyone Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

It’s estimated I think and they can see you moving along a map so it’s good if you are running a steady pace but if you are getting faster or slower each 10Km then it will be slightly off.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Degsy123

It only updates when you cross over the mats and then gives a predicted time. I’ve used garmin live track for my family and friends tracking because inevitably when things slow down in the last 6 miles, the tracker assumes you are still running consistent pace and then your followers will start to fret when you don’t arrive along as per the dcm tracker - or that was my experience before I started using the garmin livetrack for my last few marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

was considering using the livetrack on garmin coming towards the last 5 or 10k , i dont think it can be turned on mid activity though, so its either stop the watch and start it again, or put on live track from the start and hope the watch and phone battery last the 3 and half hours plus

Thanks for responses, that's clear. Suspect I'll either be slowing down badly in the last 10km, or speeding up - not sure how the body will go yet! I use a samsung watch, it can share its location with family via gps so will use that - and yes hope the battery doesn't drain. Have done every training run with a phone in my hand for music, but I want to be free of it the day

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

My family go to Milltown and I tell them each year the earliest time to expect me, but also my expected times at half way and 30km. They can work out if I'm up or down at that stage and no harm for them, they just get to support runners a bit longer before hopping back on the Luas for the finish.

ok - the questions are coming thick and fast now.... this is EXACTLY what my family will be doing - does it tend to be manic around there, or is it ok? Trying to pick a spot for them to stand - was thinking half way between dropping well and the luas bridge seems about right - I expect the hill up milltown to be busy?

And for the finish - do they try and get in somewhere along the 'purple mile'?? Is that straight forward for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DarHan84

Same question for me. First time running it, and wife plus 6 y.o. will be trying to get from point to point. Hoping to do final 6 miles in 46ish mins, just worried it would be tight getting from Milltown luas to say the mount street bridge / schoolhouse if Luas times don't cooperate!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭FazyLucker

I am not running this year (back again next year so supporting brief this year) and while I am lucky to be fairly close to the route, I always go to Christchurch for the start, then down to Crumlin Road (despite my earlier protestation that I hate that part of the DCM....), it tends to be a bit quieter a bit beyond the Dophins Barn Bridge up the Crumlin Road. Around the bridge itself tends to be manic. You could also go down the South Circular Road towards Kilmainham either, it tends to be a good bit quieter there too.

From there, I tend to walk/cycle/drive (depending on if I have older and younger with me) down towards Haddington Road/Ballsbridge, you'd walk it quickly enough (about 40 minutes I reckon?) and if they had a bike they could even drop down to the junction of Milltown Road at Eglinton Road beyond Ranelagh. They'd easily get from there down to Ballsbridge before most runners....maybe not the leaders mind! In Ballsbridge, I'd suggest going down towards the British Embassy, it is usually quiet enough down there.

Just how I manage it and I'm lucky that I can cycle around the route. I'm always keeping an eye for a few people of very varying pace so that's how I manage the support, if they only have you to cheer on their life is made much easier. If they have bikes, or even used one of those Dublin Bikes (weekend pass, I presume you can still get these), it'd mean they could do something like I have just suggested.

Just how I manage it.

Best of luck - run Forrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Unknownability

A piece of advice I would give runners is to go out with the expectation of not seeing your family.

It's happened before with people who'd been looking forward to seeing their family along the route and when they didn't see them where they expected the head dropped and the mood darkened.

It really made the next few miles very tough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

I've seen it mentioned a few times but what is the purple mile

• Just a big cheering zone before the end I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've never had any issues with the battery drain using Garmin Live Tracking. It uses the watch GPS, not the phone, so is just uploading the data and it's not a significant extra drain.

I think that Strava Beacon uses the phone GPS rather than the watch though, so that would be an additional drain on the phone battery.

You could get your family to position themselves within 1km of any of the timing mats. Your dot will be pretty accurate then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

I’m using Garmin livetrack also. Never noticed any battery drain and it’s super accurate for the family to know youre coming round the corner.

I think livetrack works simply by accessing the gps breadcrumbs from central Garmin servers that the watch is recording as it goes along, and therefore isn’t affecting the watch directly, but am open to correction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭boardtc

I'm crashing with a friend in Rathfarnham, he's near Taylors / the #16 bus. I'm in wave 2. Any recommendations on a time to be at the bus stop or alternatives to get in please?

Advertisement