Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Its not bad, if you can get 4kwh up then you will get the full grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Those can't cause shadowing as too low. I could barely see them :) Panels sit a few inches above the roof on a metal bracket. So I expect 2 installers feel they won't be in the way (as in under the height of the bracket) and 1 asked they are moved. So you can ask that installer if he's happy they could work around them if his is the best price. Or they might more them for you as they are on the roof - could ask would they do it.

The velux may cause shadowing if the sun comes up to the right of it. In the pic the sun is on the other side, so you can check the shade at times of the day.

If you wanna max out the roof, I'd suggest start at the highest point and work down. And at leftmost of house (gable end, not velux end). Then you'll have space to add more in time. Get what I mean? Won't look the best but adds space for the future. If you go mid roof it will look better but won't have space to expand without taking them old ones down and moving all the rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Blues14

Hi new to this what do people think of these quotes

Option #1

Battery System (Alpha)

5.25kWp of modules kitted to 10.1kWh battery storage

14 x Bisol Premium 375W Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system on a *Slate Roof (*Price may vary on roof type)

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switchgear

Alpha 5kWp Inverter kitted to 10.1kWh storage capacity

Costing

€14,700 (inclusive of VAT)

-€2,400 (SEAI Grant)

€12,300 Final cost after grant incentive

OPTIONAL EXTRAS

Alpha ESS Inverter Warranty Extension: €350

Eddi Hot Water Diverter: €650

Option #2

Non-Battery System 

5.25kWp of modules

14 x Bisol Premium 375W Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system on a *Slate Roof (*Price may vary on roof type)

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switchgear

Sofar 5kWp Inverter 

Costing

€8,900 (inclusive of VAT)

-€2,400 (SEAI Grant)

€6,500 Final cost after grant incentive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

Not bad for those systems. Try get a 6kw inverter for that.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Gas prices are falling as people have cut back and it's been mild so far. Storage tanks around the world are filling up.

Eventually electricity prices should follow, at some point, how far remains to be seen.

Demand for PV could fall a lot, especially at current installation quotes.

Coal prices slipping too.

Interesting times ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

Hi all, very handy thread this. Got one quote so far but its very high .. reckon its about 3k of equipment and 6k labour or am i wrong? definitely a rip off anyway

What do people think is a fair mark up for labour & profit for this size of job? cant be much more than a day or two work for a few men?

3.2kWp system, no battery

8 x JA Solar 405 Black frame panels

K2 Solid rail mounting system

3.2kW Enphase microinverter

Solar PV System €8,449.34

Eddi Diverter + Monitoring €620

VAT 13.5% €1,224

Price inc. VAT €10,293

SEAI grant* €2,160

Net Price €8,133

It's about twice the price it should be, keep looking. Have a look at the quote a few post back which is cheaper for a much bigger system. Post #3697

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

It'll take a while for electricity prices to fall. Most gas is bought months ahead, and the prices have been high all year. The November price in the UK is £1.84 /therm, but the price for the rest of the winter is higher. Electricity price rises to this point have been limited by forward purchasing by generators, and I don't see electricity prices dropping significantly unless gas prices can go below about £1.20 /therm. If it stabilises at £1.70 - £1.80 /therm, then the best we can hope for is that prices stay where they currently are.

There are a lot of suppliers giving crazy quotes, but it's a case of supply and demand. If they're booked out for the next 6 months, then there is no incentive on them to give a cheaper quote. The only thing that will change this is if they are not getting the business. There are quotes that don't make financial sense. If the payback period is over 10 years, then the quote is much too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Batteries are going to make a comeback??

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

I spent most of today with constant power cuts in the midlands, the seventh day of power cuts since install in February and without the batteries providing a stable power supply I would have been in the proverbial. So for me with the amount of regular power cuts it was a no brainer but luckily got the battery grant and picked up another battery off a member here as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

For me the battery is a vital component of a solar pv installation. I would always recommend a 5kwh battery minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mickey15ie

What batteries are people using? Any issues with dyness batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

I just bought a Pylontech US5000 today! Cant wait to have it connected now! It was a good production day today!

Where did you buy from?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Received a quote today (my first)

Seems high based on my nosing around this absolutely fantastic thread. Maybe 2k over?

4.35KW System

11 Panels

3.6kw Solis INverter

App

Eddi hot water diverter

€7,450 incl vat after grant

all thoughts welcome

Possibly one k over but seems hard to get the 1.3k per kwh at small systems these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Its against the rules to name installers.

But In this case I’m sourcing the equipment and trades (electrician and ground works) I need for the project. I’ll assemble and install the ground mount and install the panels and DC side of things myself. I’ve done several projects myself now as I’m not willing to pay what installers are looking for these days.

struggling to get a suitable ground mount system as the moment (they are either unavailable or unaffordable). But I’m making progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

I decided to stay away from all the low voltage battery’s based on several situations im aware of; so opted to go for the huawei Luna high voltage system.

There are certainly Cheeper ways to achieve the same quantity of battery storage. Value is a different question though.

What did you go for in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gleannirce

Hi folks, and many thanks for all the information. Great to see lads sharing honest information.

Before I look for information, I'll share some. There's over 120 pages in the thread, and I read them all this past month. I did ten at a time, takes about an hour. So 12 hours spent but IMO you get a great impression of the market, how lucky the early adopters are (well done!), the variety of payback times (impossible to calculate given the variables), and familiarity with the technologies. And lots of other stuff.

For example, the days of lads fitting an extra few panels for a fair price look gone, so firstly I'm going to measure up my roof and take it from there.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

I used to be active here, life got in the way.

Can anyone who got a recent quote from Eniskillen direct me to it if they posted here? Want to compare it to my quote, a bit of back and forth with them

Anyone heard of CFE batteries? Company im speaking to said they can be better performance and its plug and play for future upgrades?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MyBrotherKnowsKarlMarx

I got this price for a solar install as part of an estimated quotation for the one stop shop retrofit programme. Looks like it's probably way too high but would like to confirm:

Solar PV – Design, Supply & Fit

3.85 Kwp QCELL 10 panel roof mounted system including all black panels, inverter and wi-fi monitoring.

1X 5.00Kwhr PureDrive Battery

1X Eddie Hot Water Divert

€14,305.71

The quote doesn't give a breakdown of how much of a grant I'll get but I assume €2,400.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

way too high! steer clear of any kind of 'one stop shop' schemes, prices blatantly inflated to ripoff new entrants

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

So I think the grant here is €2,100. But would agree that this is a very high quote. That's around €12,000 after grant, where you should be looking at around €8,000 after grant, imho.

Perhaps they could run cabling for solar install when completing more intrusive works, and you could bring in another contractor after the retrofit?

Cheers for confirming my suspisions. All of the prices quoted are scandalous TBH. Not sure if this is allowed but here's the breakdown I was given for anyone who might be interested:

What drew me to the one stop shop programme was the grant for the windows and doors which is only available through OSS. Bit of a sickner that I will be losing out on nearly 5K of a grant for that if I go down the individual grant route but will still work out cheaper I think.

• Advertisement

The more I look at the breakdown of the cost of each item the more I think the full retrofit is just not worth it. I'll have a chat with them and see what is the bare minimum amount of work I could get done to qualify for the grant. That way I might still be able to avail of the grant for windows and doors. Not sure if it's even worth it as I have concerns around the manufacturer of these that they are proposing to use.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement