Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass cutting Winter

Options
  • 22-10-2022 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭

When do you stop cutting the grass. I guess I do a last tidy up before frost. Which can't be too long away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

August 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Las cut was done last weekend in September. That'll do till May.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I never say it's the last cut. It's too weather/growth dependent. Most years grass never actually stops growing. If it is in need of a cut and is dry enough I'll go a high cut at any time. I've done so in November and even over the Christmas period. Whether a February cut counts as a last cut or a first cut I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Mine was last cut 2 weeks ago I think when it was dry enough. It could do with a tidy up now but all the heavy rain makes that impossible. The next cut will be whenever it's dry enough.

I usually don't cut from November to spring. The time in spring again depends on the weather, if it's a wet spring the grass is very overgrown before I can cut it and needs 2 cuts, one high and one normal, to get it looking tidy. I don't really mind cutting the grass,it's the bloody weeding that annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Last year I was cutting from Jan into Feb when we got a dry spell. Then back again late Mar for the year. Only really stopped for a few weeks in Dec.

Well the robot was. Grass cutting is a spectator sport round these parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I cut last weekend, I suspect I'll need to cut it again. There's no sign of any frost in the next couple of weeks but it's also difficult to find a day when the grass is reasonably dry.

I don't know how you can say that, it's still growing! I let it grow as much as is practical in spring as it's full of wildflowers but at this time of year it's just soggy grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I suppose the temperatures have been high enough for growth but not enough growth here to justify it when it be easier cut in Spring, unless it's totally out of control, which it wont be

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Full growth here. There has not been a sufficient drop in temperature to slow it at all. Dampness is all that's holding up a high cut.

Advertisement