Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Kieran Read at Leinster training today, casual knock in or something more?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,287 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Consultant, I'd imagine. Bring him in for a few weeks and see what he can teach.

They did similar with Graham Henry a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Apparently he is a leadership consultant these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Don't think this is a surprise or particularly big news but lease extended at the RDS, Leinster staying for the foreseeable. Hopefully the redevelopment happens at some point, but gone very quiet on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

The RDS and Leinster had applied for and were waiting on funding from LSSIF from Department of AGSTCM. Connacht have got funding from same source for Sportsground. They could still be waiting for confirmation of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Think I'd go with:

1. Edward Byrne
    2. John McKee
    3. Michael Ala'alatoa
    4. Jason Jenkins
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Scott Penny
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. Robert Russell
    12. Charlie Ngatai
    13. Liam Turner
    14. David Kearney
    15. Jack Kelly
    16. Lee Barron
    17. Michael Milne
    18. Vakhtang Abdaladze
    19. Brian Deeny
    20. Martin Moloney
    21. Cormac Foley
    22. Charlie Tector
    23. Max O'Reilly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Great (long) interview with Stuart Lancaster on Off The Ball tonight. He speaks about his time with Leinster, Leo, his move to R92, the loss of his father, among other things.

Really worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Does Jack Kelly even play professional rugby anymore? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

He’s a really candid and interesting interviewee. I hope he does a ROG and becomes a bit of a talking head.

I'd rather Tom Clarkson at fb over Kelly. Kelly couldn't get through the academy despite the hupe. Feck it, Deegan at fb!

I'm not sure Clarkson would be conditioned to do all the running needed at fullback if he's been training for scrums. The fitness requirements would be very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Kelly put his legal career on hold to go win a bronze medal with the 7's.

Maybe not the heights he'd have hoped for but fair play to the guy. Was super for the 7's in that tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

V Scarlets

15. Chris Cosgrave (2)14. Rob Russell (9)13. Liam Turner (7)12. Charlie Ngatai (5)11. Dave Kearney (176)10. Ross Byrne (134)9. Luke McGrath (180)1. Ed Byrne (89)2. John McKee (7)3. Thomas Clarkson (19)4. Ross Molony (145)5. Jason Jenkins (5)6. Rhys Ruddock (212) CAPTAIN7. Scott Penny (43)8. Max Deegan (86)

16. Tadgh McElroy (0)17. Michael Milne (18)18. Vakhtang Abdaladze (20)19. Brian Deeny (3)20. Martin Moloney (9)21. Nick McCarthy (50)22. Charlie Tector (0)23. Ben Brownlee (0)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Milne has 18 caps?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Scarlets team:

15 Johnny McNicholl; 14 Tom Rogers, 13 Steff Evans, 12 Jonathan Davies (capt), 11 Ryan Conbeer; 10 Dan Jones, 9 Gareth Davies; 1 Steff Thomas, 2 Daf Hughes, 3 Harri O’Connor, 4 Jac Price, 5 Tom Price, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 Dan Thomas, 8 Sione Kalamafoni.

First defeat of the season on the cards here I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Damn thats a more callow squad than expected but I guess it is what we have available to us.

Great we get Deegan and Penny back from the A squad as stated by Faz. Osborne obviously not available yet.

Park y Scarlets can be a tricky place to go especially this time of year but there is enough quality in that team especially from 1-12 to control this game as needed.

A quick glance at Scarlets team looks like they're reasonably full tilt for this. Kalamafoni, G Davies, J Davies, Evans and McNicholl all named.

Could be close

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I think he was injured for large periods last season and only featured once so it feels like he wasn't around the squad, but he featured 9 times in his first season (19/20) and 7 times in his second (20/21). He featured against Zebre this season. He has also only started one game from those 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

Probably not this weekend but at some point their first defeat this season will come.

• Advertisement

Very callow looking backline, but not a bad pack at all considering the amount of absences. Only position of concern is THP for me, where I'm still very much unconvinced by Tom Clarkson.

He seems to now have pushed ahead of Abdaladze?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bookies have leinster 9 point favs and im all over scarlets at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Once again robbed of a Ngatai/Osborne combo raining bombs on the opposition backfield.

Scarlets look tough. Our backline will be interesting to watch. Clarkson is young and he needs match time. I'm not convinced about him either. In the loose he has looked fast and mobile, in the scrum he's looked off the pace. Good to see DK back. Right on time. It was certainly needed.

A loss could be on the cards! Looking at the sides, a lbp wouldn't be too bad. Who knows? These are the kind of matches that can produce a good young player. Cosgrave was not up for it last season! I hope he's improved. Good luck to Tector and Brownlee!

Must not have watched much of Scarlets this season then.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yep, i watched them put 39 points on an ulster team, draw with a resurgent ospreys team and take an LBP against a good cardiff side.

ive also seen them score more points so far, in 6 games, than cardiff, benetton, ospreys, munster, dragons and connacht

ive also watched leinster in the last few seasons put out callow teams and lose.

its happened against the two SA teams at the end of last season (being fair the two LBPs were great results).

they lost against cardiff and ulster away last season with a similar callow teams, and who can forget the defeat to ospreys in the rds in 2020

when leinster are pared back to their bare bones (academy players and second / third string) it becomes a great leveller with the other URC teams, especially a team like scarlets who can still put out 9 test capped players in their 23.

i think the 9 point advantage is good value from the scarlets side

Clarkson was disappointing in the scrum on the Emerging Ireland tour, but hopefully he's learnt from it. The likes of this Scarlets game is what he needs to be playing anyway if he's to kick on.

They seem to be giving Nick McCarthy (0+4, 66 minutes) and Foley (1+2, 108 minutes) almost equal opportunities. I think McCarthy's a bit lucky they're taking that approach. Personally, I don't see him going much higher in the game. Foley probably has some flaws to work on; I read he got blocked down a few times against Connacht. But he looks to have a higher ceiling to me, and he needs to be playing if he's to iron out flaws in his game.

He had at least 2 block downs (maybe a third I'm forgetting) against Connacht, that were all entirely on him and naïve positioning. He had a relatively poor game all in against Connacht; passing was off and a few loose kicks too.

He's still very young though, and I'd completely agree he has a higher upside than Nick McCarthy. At the moment, that upside will be to be as good as Luke McGrath if he doesn't fix some of his fundamentals, but he's young enough to have the chance to be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Barring the charge downs it was a pretty strong performance against Connacht with the conditions. He was good for the same errors we'd see from Luke, JGP and Nick I'd wager.

He's certainly the strongest homegrown 9 we've seen at his age (22/23) in years - probably since McGrath

• Advertisement

And then ship over 50 in the same game. When your defence of a side is failing to beat 2 other welsh teams it sort of proves my point.

Alot of you're points is clutching at straws if I'm honest.

I wonder how many times we thought Leinster were down to the bare bones and yet came out and won...no matter how many times this happens we seem to forget.

Advertisement