Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

Why did Rome burn Carthage to the ground, no point to it, they did it to kill civilians.

Because something bad happened in the past does not excuse something bad happening now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Putin: "We never said anything proactively about possible use of nuclear weapons by Russia. We have only hinted in response to statements made by western leaders."

What has the world come to? A despot can't even hint at nuclear annihilation any more without the threat of retaliation. The west never plays fair!

Remember, this was one of their "hints".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,323 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Actually 50,000 people survived the siege and subsequent street battles of Carthage. They were sold into slavery. Most of the women and children had fled before the final siege.

They wiped the city off the map out of revenge and trauma of 2 previous Punic wars. Everyone remembers Hannibal to this day. Romans had a hatred and fear of the Carthage power/challenge.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Sooner the better this muppet Wallace gets the boot.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Yeah but its about as relevant to Russia's invasion of Ukraine as the US's actions in WWII.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I think Moscow Mick is very bitter about his business empire going down the plughole a few years back and hates the west because of that. Most people with personal hate seem to blame the west and Europe for all their ills and side with Russia for the same reason. they kind of fancy a lawless society of bedlam and chaos by ways of making up for their bitterness and hate. He will be in the history books in 20 years as a misguided yahoo.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,073 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Putin

'when the lights went out, they blamed Russia, everything is Russia''

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Only ones who can guarantee the sovereignty and state integrity of Ukraine

Is us Russia.....

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you think about it this way Vix: Russia is more like an "old feudal European" state, isolated and on the edge of the European world. The renaissance never really got that far, they never had a reformation, nor an enlightenment, even when Peter the Great tried to impose more "western" stuff, they resisted, nor any anti monarch/aristocracy movement like most of Europe and the industrial revolution came very late compared to other European nations and was tiny by comparsion. Pretty much all of their great thinkers and artists were from the cities in the western part and they were very small in number. Beyond lay the agrarian land of serf and lords and the wastes where the banished resided and often died. They had serfdom into the middle of the 19th century and old style feudal attitudes to their peasants long after that. And throughout they were invaded by the Mongols which changed them and later the Poles and all the while they were expanding their colonial empire across land all the way to the Pacific.

Communism for all its faults was a real lifeline for a good while and made real differences to the common man and woman and indeed amomg other things was more farsighted in gender equality than most Western nations, and why it was extremely popular among the common Russian and pretty popular among thinkers and working people beyond Russia's shores,. They went from scary levels of illiteracy to near full literacy within a few decades with free education and healthcare and it pulled them from the early modern type state into the 20th century with a bang. Not without serious problems but it did it.Even turned them into a superpower and industrial nation vying for position with the US, which was the biggest industrial base and most powerful nation in history. They went from serfs and god kings to the space race in he span of a lifetime.

But they also reverted to type in many ways with a new different god king in Stalin and the gulags of their wastelands never went away, nor did their imperial ambitions. After him people like Khrushchev did dial that back somewhat and at least tried for more. Then by the 80's it was on the wane and it all fell down around them and back to their biggest fear(other than invasion) chaos. Putin came out of that and it's easy to see why he was so popular, but again the reversion to type wasn't far away and here we are.

For me the real pity is that Russia with all her resources and a people that could be extremely inventive and hard working might have turned out like a Scandi country, or better, but the reversion to type their need for a "strong king" with imperial ambitions sabotaged that time and time again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Reminds me of pre war speech by Josef Goebbels in Kroll opera house:

BBC News - World faces most dangerous decade since WW2 - Putin

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63417487

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

What can the Russians possibly do now but slink away in their soiled breeches ???

Spewtin has now more or less conceeded that they can't win, nukes or not.

They have been chilled to the bone by what the West has promised them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,073 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Putin

'' why did that old woman go to Taiwan, provoking China''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Russia is stuck between a rock and a hard place-the rock is Nato, the hard place is Ukraine, best strategy when this occurs is unplugging and re-charging 

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You have to view this in the context that only Putin has any valid say in determining which Nations actaully exist and which ones only think they do, but don't.

This was in Putrids rant:

"The vast majority of countries now demand democracy in international affairs, not accepting any form of authoritarian dictate of individual states" 🤡

Thereby declaring himself a self acknowledged dictator. At least he can now spare himself the pretense of fake elections, now that he's admitted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

Germany just shipped four mor Pzh-2000 self propelled howitzers, two MARS-II MLRS systems and, most intriguingly, two unspecified unmanned surface vessels to Ukraine:

Military support for Ukraine | Federal Government (bundesregierung.de)

There's no details to be found whatsoever on the model or capabilities of these unmanned surface vessels and whether they're armed or not. At least not on the websites I'm willing to acccess on a company laptop.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭zv2

@Wibbs "For me the real pity is that Russia with all her resources and a people that could be extremely inventive and hard working might have turned out like a Scandi country, or better, but the reversion to type their need for a "strong king" with imperial ambitions sabotaged that time and time again."

It seems to me that Russians would be just like Europeans if they were allowed to be. They 'believe' in militarism and autocracy because they have never been allowed to know or believe in anything else, except for a brief period of democracy when the USSR broke up. It is the young people from this generation who are protesting against the war.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Yet their are many who believe that Ukraine should stop fighting back for their freedom and that they should negotiate their surrender to Putin and Russia.

They think this is in the interest of Ukraine for the sake of their own people.

They believe that Ukraines entire future should be left in the hands of Russia who have bombed their towns and cities into ruble, terrorised their nation by targetting civilian infrastructure, whos army has commited rape, torture and other heinous crimes against their population. Who have callously abducted thousands of children from Ukraine to Russia. Who believe that Ukraine doesn't even have the right to exist.

Yet they would call any of us who support Ukraines right to fight back warmongers....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Call me a warmonger so.

Give Ukraine the lot, offensive weapons, aircraft, drones, undersea drones.

I'm done with this Putin pr1ck and his maskirovka ravings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

bye bye neutrality, hello Russian aggression, i hope we have paid our insurance on those undersea cables

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Can we tie this clown to Wallace, Murphy and Daly and get them to walk across a mine field, they’d finally do something useful.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

That asshole should be fucked out of this country and the Russian embassy used to house Ukrainian refugees.

Better still just burn it to the ground with him and the rest of them still in it.

Why is he even still allowed media time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

Time he was ejected from his little fortress on Orwell road. We'd house a good few refugees in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Won't lie about it, I'm actually so embarrassed that he's Irish. I feel like apologising to every Ukrainian.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

I really hope some of the usual Halloween hi-jinx is directed their direction on Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Can we please kick this asshole out of our country?? And maybe Paul Murphy too??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Those Orc Muppets in Rathgar need to be turfed out immediately and hand their embassy building over to Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

F**k that guy. He should be arrested and charged with espionage and assisting in the prosecution of war crimes.

Our 6 remaining Navy ships are on rotating patrols of the cable routes, but we don't have the hi-tech anti-submarine gear that the NATO navies have and in that regard I expect that they will carry out their own active searches outside of the Irish 12-mile limit.

Fortunately, we are about to take delivery of 2 x C-295 maritime patrol planes, which DO have decent anti-submarine capability and so they can task the Navy patrol ships more effectively.

Also, the French Air Force Squadron paid what looks like a sighting visit, to the Air Corps base at Casement Aerodrome in Dublin yesterday, presumably in case hostilities do extend to Western Europe. In that event I imagine the Government have a bi-lateral contingency with our closest EU friend and neighbour to protect the island and extend the protection of Western assets in the North Atlantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be fair every country has their own versions of Wallace & Daly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement