Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Its a strange one - the gradient is not much different, big improvement though. Used this link over the summer and the tarmacadam path was end of life.

Is there still a link between Glenard Crescent and Taylors Hill - remember using it way back 30 years ago when I was young fella. It was narrow path - under tree canopy and steep if I remember correctly. Could have been developed over since. Probably not suitable for this kind of treatment, but would be another handy link to have in Salthill.

You mean the one with the stile?

GSV link

I believe so, at least a local pointed it out when I was creating the barriers map.

I don't know that anything could be done to that one to make it more accessible, its barely wide enough for a person to get through if memory serves, though thats a childhood memory so I could be way wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

• Registered Users Posts: 25,903 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Its about who the actual users are: Often people who have mobility problems but do still walk prefer steps to slopes. Never understood it myself until I used crutches for a month: steps were far easier to navigate.

No reason both couldn't be accomodated, as is typically the case, but the current setup 100% prevents a wheelchair user from using that route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,799 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Traffic particularly bad this week and I imagine a huge amount of people are working from home.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

traffic been bad i would imagine a huge amount of people want to work from home....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya there's a definite increase on the East side. Ballybane Rd is backed up both ways most mornings from 0825. Then the outbound lane is backed up to Joyce's most evenings from ATU. Is it the backlog from the Martin roundabout or what's going on. Might cycle up to the top of the road one evening for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭rustyfrog

A lot of firms are requiring staff to return to the office several days a week.

Also I heard that some people are opting to work from the office rather than paying for heat and electricity at home during the day, might be a tipping point issue for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,903 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Courses at ATU / GMIT/ RTC / WHATEVER are back f2f, and this quarter always has the largest number of enrolments.

I haven't listened to the clip yet but from the article;

Councillor Geraghty says he’d be quicker getting to Belfast from Williamstown, than he would be travelling to Clifden, due to chronic traffic.

The fastest way from Williamstown to Clifden, with no traffic, is via Cong. And that's 60-90mins faster than getting to Belfast.

Edit: Listened now. Blaming the Galway City traffic for his drivers having to go via Cong at times, as above - Cong is the fastest and shortest route. He wants the ring road to "access the city from different points" - really doesn't sound like the internal city roads being free'd up for active and public transport as promised.

Post edited by rustyfrog on

Have you ever used this link?

If its all about the actual users.

Answer this one for me.

The gradient of the steps here is the same as sections of the ramp, now there is actually a section of the ramp that is steeper than the gradient of the steps themselves. Explain this design?

Opinion piece from the barrister that represented Friends of the Irish Environment in its challenge to the ring road. Some strong arguments as to why it can't proceed with the current climate act.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MrWisdom

I think the bypass decision will become the moment Ireland joined progressive societies with regard to planning. I think it's the moment we finally grew up and started to have an adult conversation about this stuff.

Pretty good article Here. I agree with all of it.

Galway ring road decision should signal the end of car-first planning

Improved transport system can be delivered once authorities abandon the belief that the solution to every problem is another road

Is there anything to be said for another road? Since the introduction of the Climate Act in 2021, the proposal to build a second ring road around Galway city has changed from a merely terrible idea, to an illegal one. The sooner planners, local authorities and Transport Infrastructure Ireland realise this, the sooner a safe, affordable and uncongested transport system can be delivered for Galway and other towns and cities across Ireland.

The Galway City Ring Road, for which planning permission will shortly be quashed, was not to be a “bypass” to allow cars to avoid the city. Rather, it was designed to deliver more cars into the already congested medieval city, at a cost of hundreds of millions of euro. This was made clear in the planning reports put before An Bord Pleanála.

The planners of the Galway City Ring Road saw an increased number of private car journeys as a positive effect of the project, which in their eyes would outweigh the “significant negative impact on carbon emissions and climate”The report found that the ring road would not result in any change in favour of the use public transport or active travel. Most bizarrely, the planners acknowledged the ring road would do nothing to relieve congestion, with longer average journey times expected, due to an increase in the volume of car traffic.

The sooner local and national authorities abandon the 20th-century mindset, where the solution to every problem is another road, the sooner a safe, affordable and uncongested transport system can be delivered for Galway and other towns and cities across Ireland

Thankfully, since the Act, such proposals are not just foolish, they are also illegal.

Great article, really shows how it's not on life support, it's dead.

Next nail in the coffin is an updated GTS which will likely remove the GCRR. We've already seen this happen in Limerick with the updated LSMATS

I don't think an updated GTS will kill the ring road, the current council executive will pursue the project to the bitter end. I'd say the consultants are billing as many hours as they can while they can.

Best case scenario is it gets killed before the GTS review and the GTS gets overhauled.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭migrant

Are there grants to help people buy black clothing, opioids, and e-scooters for pre-dawn commuting into Galway? I can think of no other explanation for the upsurge.

Probably right - but the hasty response from County & City Council and NTA to it I thought was interesting.

I think it was PR move just to avoid the heat at that time, waiting now in CW 51 for the buried PR piece about a strategic review of the GTS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The ironic thing is, Galway could afford to build a 'glider' system and Belfast cannot afford to expand theirs. As a transport solution its also way below what Belfast needs but that's another story.

I know you didn't mean to make this point and you probably thought the opposite was true but as someone who has lived in Dublin for a long time I can assure you that traffic congestion in the city now is, by my estimation less than half, perhaps a third, of what it was in the early 2000s. You must not know Dublin very well or for a long time.

It was desperate back then when there were hardly any bus lanes, you couldn't get anywhere by car in any decent time, it was worse by bus and forget about cycling unless you were a dare devil. Cars also spouted real fumes back then, not your new fangled Euro5 standard nonsense, you'd be physically sick from it in the city centre. If you had a health complaint you'd just stay at home.

And then there were the accidents, accidents were daily and often fatal. Fatal Road collisions in Dublin are thankfully gone for good, perhaps 1 every couple of years. I see other posters have linked you to the canal cordon count which is educational, if I were you if read it thoroughly, it shows in detailed numbers how provision of public transport, walking/cycling and restrictions on car use can effectively and permanently reduce congestion for relatively small investment. Remember the original 2 luas lines were built for less than what Galways proposed ring road would have cost even adjusting for inflation and they are far longer and higher spec than any pt Galway would require.

The introduction of bus corridors was revolutionary in Dublin as was the luas and the covid mobility measures. There are now plans afoot to stop cars driving through the city centre entirely by closing some central streets to cars, making it access only. It can't come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,799 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Another scenic bus route launches An Cheathrú Rua-Carna-Roundstone-Clifden. The service will run three return services a day, seven days a week from next Tuesday November 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

“I know you didn't mean to make this point and you probably thought the opposite was true but…” all of that is possible because there are alternative routes for the cars. M50? Eastlink? Port tunnel? Infrastructure which relieves pressure on the inner city core.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

So the Eastlink, completed in 1984, didn't have any effect on traffic for twenty years, but then suddenly started relieving city centre traffic after the early 2000s. I guess that sounds plausible.

Post edited by Unrealistic on

Nope the M50 was built before that, east link built well before that. Port tunnel opened in 2003 and was a great asset as it removed hgvs away from the city, the port tunnel isn't used by cars much though because its heavily tolled, it serves to remove trucks from the port area quickly and efficiently. Galway doesn't have this issue.

The real change came with the gradual improvements to public transport and active travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,010 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He might be correct, if it were for him to say. But it very much is not.

He is, after all, the Barrister for Friends of the Earth in their recent Court victory, so for professional pride, he would claim the Project is dead, wouldn't he?

But the fact is, all of the major political and commercial players in Galway and nationally, as well as the various State bodies, want this to proceed.

And if thats the strength of the driving force, then you may accept as a given that the project will be reframed in such a way to comply with the legislation, or failing that, the legislation will be binned entirely after the coming Green Party implosion in 2025.

So,the GCRR, delayed? Maybe.

Dead? Not remotely.

And if you honestly believe it is, then you're as naive as Mr Woulfe.

Doubtful but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Either way it now has to be assessed against the climate legislation and the projects own application documents show that it can't be made to align with that legislation and all the political speak in the world can't change that fact, none that will be able to withstand legal challenges anyway.

Honestly I see this going 1 of 3 ways.

1. It's dead, just a matter of time until that's acknowledged

2. Its tweaked, resubmitted, approved and ends up going as far as the Supreme Court or the EU where it will be die.

3. The GTS gets beefed up to insane levels of PT & AT infrastructure and investment with huge reallocation of road space to those modes and massive curtailment of cars and parking in and around the city, all to boost the green credentials of the GCRR. To pass muster this would have to be fully funded and implemented as part and parcel of the GCRR project timelines with one contingent on the other.

I'm OK with any of the 3 options

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement