Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 150,000 new PPS numbers issued throughout 2022 to non Irish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Interesting figures.

1,648 from Georgia.

Didn't know that place was at war or was a great recruiting ground for doctors, nurses, engineers, scientists.

I think every country is covered, hell there is 3 from Fiji (rugby players?), 3 from St Helena (no one left to look after the Napoleon museum), 3 from North Korea, 1 from Reunion, Greenland, San Marino, Samoa, Monaco.

No one from South Sudan and Vatican city so what's wrong with them that they don't want to come here?

Just to get in the spirit and the mindset of a lot of boardsies, who the feck let 195 Israelis into the country.

That is what we must investigate from these figures. 🙄

Oh and where the fook is OTHER, can't find it on any map.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭antfin

Great to see an international appreciation for the life that this country has to offer. Hopefully it might make something of a start towards addressing our labour shortages!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Lousy Imigants

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

For an island our size that is some shîtshow.

More according to this report…. https://assets.gov.ie/236310/5a25e175-8268-46ad-88a6-d6385dbc00ce.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Why not edit the thread title to "Yet another anti immigration thread"? Your history on the topic precedes you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭prunudo

And yet it's still impossible to get staff.

Check out this site. Taking the Ukrainians out of it, the figures have been rising steadily, with the exception of 2020. https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/a78027-statistics-on-personal-public-service-pps-numbers-issued/#2012

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ah another thread to spout complete and utter dog-whistling bullshit about immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Yes the department of social protections report is akin to Mein Kampf .

People can discuss facts and figures. Don't like it? Don't read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

But you will just 'discuss' in the same way every other time you've complained about immigrants. So the point that the thread is just another vehicle for anti immigration sentiment is valid. In which case why not keep it all together rather than you having to keep repeating yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

150,000 is a very substantial proportion of our resident population. Mark my words, we will look back on these few years and see the a marked change to our general culture & way of life. The moment when what made Ireland Irish, was subsumed and lost. And you know what, it'll be too late then to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

And you will just say no not allowed to talk about it. Its racist , shout it down, great restaurants, pensions etc etc

So instead of repeating yourselves and getting flustered why not just stay away from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭antfin

Hopefully anyway! Change has been too slow. We need an innovative, cosmopolitan culture here where young people don't need to go abroad to get some different points of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Absolute shambles. The country is on the road to ruin.

immigrants on the whole are not the issue.

this or any country where other vested interests set the rules whereby we do not control our borders, regardless of what challenges are occurring for our citizens within those borders… that to me is an issue.

probably wasn’t so bad 15-20 years ago when immigration wasn’t anywhere near current levels or causing the same challenges, unfairness and difficulty for the country and its people but the situation in the world as it currently is and has been…. It’s going to get worse without being able to control it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

We've always just been a bit behind the Brits. Country will be a polarised cesspit soon enough.

Pumping people into a country with poor infrastructure run by baboons will end badly. Look to your east for an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Aye, can't wait to see how cosmopolitan this place will be with a shed load of brazillians and indians, not too mention our visitors san passports of African extraction

Real hotbeds of cosmopiltanism. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Nobody is blaming the immigrants, i'd do the same in their boat but it's up to the elected governments of the day to protect us all as a nation be it in regards to criminals entering the country or putting pressure on our already creaking housing, infrastructure and health systems. The government is wilfully negligent in that regard.

I’d like ask the people bitching about this how many of the 150,000 actually stayed here?

• Advertisement

I don’t think they went seeking PPS numbers just to visit the zoo and do the Guinness brewery tour 😉 and back home..

Oh Strumms, would you stop messing?

15 years ago was 2007. 20 years ago was 2002. So when you say 15-20 years ago when immigration wasn't anywhere near current levels you mean 2002 to 2007 or thereabouts.

The record years for issuing PPS numbers to nationalities other than Irish were (drum roll):

2006 - 231,000

2007 - 219,000

2005 - 191,000

2002 - 166,000

2008 - 156,000

(all rounded figures, and thanks a million to the OP for providing the data)

So the biggest handing out of PPS numbers happened 14-20 years ago. Not quite 15-20, but close enough.

2022 is gone the same way, but as we know the war in Ukraine is the major driver of this.

If people want to get their jollies moaning about furriners and the gubmint that's grand for them, but it'd be nice if they could make an effort to work off facts rather than their own misplaced nostalgia for some non-existent "golden age".

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CaptainTeebs

I think most Irish people who have lived in another Western country would have an idea of one or two particular nationalities that said country would live to regret taking in without background checking or some sort of quota. In terms of welfare dependency and criminality, most individual Western societies have one or two particular nationalities that have been particularly problematic. To date we probably haven't experienced it to the extent of our neighbours- while we have some problematic individuals we have had little to none of the gang culture or large scale organised crime places like Holland and Australia have copped.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

I thought for a second they were after giving 150,000 PS5s out to refugees.

Since 2001, around 2.5 million PPSNs have been issued to nationalities other than Irish. At the risk of sounding like someone watching an old YouTube clip of X Factor, all I can ask is "where are they now?"

So no is the answer. Just smart arse remarks.

For example, any student that is studying here is required to get a PPS number.

Returing emigrants and their spouses/families.

Those with a work permit and their spouse.

You keep spreading the doom-mongering though. They’re all coming here and simultaneously taking our jobs while sponging off the system.

It’s almost like many have to come here for a short spell but still need to get a PPS number.

Nah that can’t be it. It’s all about the welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Your numbers are fairly useless without context.

Ironic that you're so close to almost being aware of reasons why pps numbers would be issued to people from those countries (employment) yet also discount it in the same paragraph.

Ireland is at full employment, employers are crying out for workers. For all you know, there was a job advert for the head of research at X company and the single PPS number from Iceland was the best candidate for the role, with an extensive CV and background.

Or, people applied for entry level/retail jobs, the jobs sat vacant and the best candidates were from another country. Fair play to them. Their labour, tax, domestic spending and support of the current pension budget is needed.

People screaming about these pps numbers being issued, come back when you've the proportion and numbers here to "freeload". Also, of that number, fleeing war or regimes such as North Korea, how many are coming to not work and lie idle as a minority of our own have done for generations?

Ye're the ones you in arms, so break it down for the rest of us.

I read somewhere that you have to get a PPSN number if you're left anything in an Irish will, even if you haven't been here and have no intention of being here. It's probably not a big number, but it surprised me when I saw it.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement