Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

This really is ridiculous

Her colleague Councillor Deere said consultation is a disaster. A bus with the families had arrived at the park in recent weeks, to an address over a business where the businessperson there knew nothing about it.

Where were the health and safety and fire certs, he asked. They were told it was an emergency situation, yet the owner of another fantastic property out the road had been put through the mill with certification.

Another "international protection centre" to open there too for 500 people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Nothing would surprise me - wrong peoples hand were being greased. There's good money to be had out of all this accommodation business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

You are just arguing with everyone for the sake of it.

You don't put any opinions of your own across. Your schtick is "no you are wrong"

Highlighting it in **** grey font adds nothing either

Tell us your opinions about the current situation. It makes for better conversation . I'm interested in your opinion

Sums up the situation nation wide.

"Meanwhile, an international protection centre opens tomorrow at the former Breaffy Sports Arena. With a series of separate units created on site, it will accommodate up to 200 people from many nations. It is located beside the Breaffy Woods Hotel which is accommodating 300 Ukrainian refugees"

Absolutely bonkers stuff going on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Stop the lights ,the opw are tasked with providing the modular house build for the emergency accommadation .I can just imagine the timeframe for completion .Opw started repairing a local heritage site 7 years ago and the scaffolding is still in place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 whee5

Send them all home. Most of the country is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Repairing a local heritage site sounds a LOT more complicated than any new build on greenspace.

Leo Varadkar today said that no refugee would be turned away and that he believes communities who accept refugees should be given extra funding for sports facilities and playgrounds etc.

Basically a bit of bribery .

Jog on Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I see a village in Tipperary is against cottages being bought for refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Where was this funding before the invasion ! :).

still waiting for the new playground in our park that was promised around 6 years ago.

Amazing how the Quality of life and community investment under his tenure was quite negligible..and in some areas, tanked.

but now he’s all for spending to placate us..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Listening to sinead gibney (Irish human rights and equality commission) and the discussion with Lisa Chambers and Eoin o Brion on drivetime I see no pragmatism at all from our politicians creeping into the situation, O Brion actually wanted to make an offer they couldn't refuse to holiday home owners, where the hell is all the money going to come from? I guess we'll end up with a bobtailed cheque from the EU, one thing is for sure we and our Children will pay for it one way or another... Gibney, Chambers, O Brion and the rest of them will be well shielded financially from this madness

What village is that. I can't find anything about it online

Edit: Found it. Puckane of all places, a tiny village of about 150 residents wow it's getting crazier by the day

This government know they won't be around to suffer the consequences. They will leave such a mess for sinn fien that will have all the anger directed at them in 2 or 3 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

They are running out of spaces. Next in line, when they run out of hotels and do-gooders, may be some sort of confiscation or privatisation.

"Plans are in motion for a Dublin based property group to acquire 12 thatched cottages in the centre of Puckane village, which were built in the 1960s"

"Double Property Group (DPG), a family run company, have over 25 years of providing properties to the government for social housing initiatives, but in recent years have diversified into the development of Direct Provision Centres and now Asylum Seeker Reception Centres"

A potential 30% overnight increase in the village population and the centre becoming permanent. It won't always be Ukrainian families who reside there.

Phuck this property group parasites

Its not even the government its some dirt bag property group who are looking to profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Said I wouldn't ever post here again after some loon here a few months back labelled me as some sort of far right activist because my made up on the spot user name was similar to somebody on twitter. He didn't even have the good grace to apologise. I digress.

Irish owned property groups have surfaced in recent years as they tried to exploit the advantages for profits raised by the mostly foreign based funds. This was around the leasing of properties to councils and AHBs, for social housing. This is just such one. Now though that avenue is closing, they have turned their eyes towards the equally lucrative refugee market, and are again exploiting government and departments stupidity, a stupidity well documented here.

Yes, some people are making hay while the sun shines while others are scrambling around trying to find the sites and properties to do just the same. Now that the media are beginning to ask questions, expect their next area will be to show us how these chancers are making a lot of money for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Wait for Maryanne to change her tune now 😉. I read in the local newspaper that authorities have stopped sending refugees to Donegal after the Creeslough tragedy. So sad that it had to be the catalyst to stop using Donegal as a dumping ground.

It's only fair refugees are dispersed throughout the country!

Tackle the root cause and send weapons. Displaced persons is a symptoms of the real issue.

We don't have infinite space or money. Next logical step if you want to continue helping is to send weapons. Continuing to take people when you have no room makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah shure why bother with the odd sports event and the hassle of weddings when you can get a guaranteed 365 day a year revenue stream courtesy of Paddy the taxpayer.

Anyone hear that gimp Pascal on this morning with Pat Kenny.

At least Pat seems to be get the vibe that the majority of the people in this country are now very fed up of the shyte going on.

He didn't ask hard questions, but he did ask how come we have Georgians and Albanians, etc being able to get on flights, but when they arrive at customs/immigration in Dublin they have no identification and we are taking them in.

Pascal started on about taking people in who are refugees.

Pat asked what happened to the Dublin agreement about first point of entry.

Old Pascal started spluttering on about how there is the biggest war on in Europe since WWII.

They will not answer direct questions, because the simply answer is, it is wrong and we the people are being shafted.

And Pat wasn't even being tough, he let the matter go instead of hammering the lying sniveling ar**hole.

BTW anyone have a number for Declan Ganley or Peter Casey?

Even as cr** as they are, and as dodgy as some of the views of Ganley are, they are not out and out quislings like we have currently in the Dail.

And that includes all the parties.

Never assume SF are on the side of the Irish people, they have their own agendas on mass immigration.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

BTW anyone have a number for Declan Ganley or Peter Casey?

Why would you want the number to the Pound Shop Elon Musk and a lad that describes himself as racist.

I honestly don't feel they will help with your irrational fears.

He didn't ask hard questions, but he did ask how come we have Georgians and Albanians, etc being able to get on flights, but when they arrive at customs/immigration in Dublin they have no identification and we are taking them in.

Unless things have changed, Georgians and Albanians for the past couple of years have been refused to disembark flights and sent straight back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Who are you to say somebody's fears are rational or irrational?

People have genuine and valid concerns over the direction this country is taking regarding immigration.

If people turn up claiming asylum from safe countries they should be deported immediately regardless of where they come from.

Your simplistic narrative is that anyone who objects to immigration is a racist so therefore their points are invalid and there is nothing to see here.

Irish people on the whole have been very generous and supporting of immigrants but we are now at or beyond breaking point.

Only a fool or somebody with a vested interest economically or politically would deny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I agree, find the whole sexism thing at play here appalling

That wouldn't be the worst place to be put up - lovely grounds and forest walks. You pay big money to stay thereabouts (if you're an ordinary Irish citizen).

Be great to live in Killarney as well - jewel of the south west. Very expensive place to buy.

Not sure about that - the Shinners are making so many promises to all & sundry that it'll be impossible to remember them all, if they ever get in. Earlier heard McDonald calling for special mortgage interest relief. No figures of course, just old palaver. Wonder did she need much of a mortgage for her gaff.....hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Why are Albanians arriving on flights from London with no documentation being treated as refugees?

400 Ukrainian refugees being evicted from the Crowne Plaza in Santry according to the Examiner.

Hotels will come under pressure from the do gooders I suspect.

Just an edit on this. Independent saying some are Ukrainian and some aren't. So I suppose then not much will be made of this if it's mainly non Ukrainians.

Post edited by hotmail.com on

Any idea why they are being evicted, can you share the article? The state is just going to start buying hotels soon

• Advertisement

The contract is up. The hotel presumably wants to go back to normal.

This was always going to be a problem. Lovely mess .

Advertisement