Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They certainly do and in some Countries, they're in power. So we should be thankful for small mercies.

Also I feel the biggest mistake of W and D was moving to Brussels. Not only are they less relevant now, but the contempt in which they are held by most Irish people means its much less likely that they can hold on to their seats in the big Euro constituencies in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Apparently the word on the street is Wallace won't be running for re-election. Daly probably will unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Wallace be getting a good bollicking from the citizens of Wexford. Up to Dubliners to nail Daly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

That was pretty much the worst turn of phrase you could pick with regards to Daly. I’ll be right back, just need to find some eye bleach!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

On behalf of Ukraine, and bearing in mind that they are first in the queue, I would love to see every decent country taking the chance to kick Russia when it's down ("she" my arse).

*Not pleasant listening*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Kyiv suffering more and more blackouts now as winter approaches. Going to be a very difficult few months ahead for them unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

Thankfully, they are a resiliant nation and people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭rogber

It's going to be bleak, refugee numbers are rising again, the many already abroad are being told not to come back for the foreseeable future, and European countries are already at breaking point. It's a disgusting Russian strategy, but a deliberate one, and calls to "negotiate" will, I fear, become louder in the mainstream as it drags on and on

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

Scaremongering. Many from UA are working here and paying their way, have you a % Rogber?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mine clearing has long been considered a humanitarian mission, not breaking neutrality, so he can right head off.

Unfortunately that brief period of democracy coincided with a near collapse of social order and brigandry and was seen by Russians of that generation, and understandably so, as something they'd never want to see again, so democracy has been soured for many. They also feel the "West" did nothing to help, egged it on if anything as a punishment meted out to the ex Soviet Union and Russia to break and "invade" her. The two horrors of the Russian psyche for centuries; invasion(from without or within) and chaos putin and his minions were seen as those who brought a halt to it and the familiar and comfortable scraps from the master's table returned. And those were more than scraps, at least for those in the west, white, "christian" Russia. And of course putin and his minions have reinforced those narratives ever since.

So yes I'd agee Zv, the young(and the very old) are the real hope for change. They know more, have more access to other ideas and the 90's are a historry lesson. But that forgets the patriotism and pride(oft wounded) that is very strong in Russians, old and young.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And tbh for all their Grade A utter bollocks, I'm glad we have them. We have dissenting voices, even voices that make us momentarily positively murderous in intent. That's the function and good sign of a proper democracy. Russia don't have that. China doesn't have that, and a host of potentate and junta run societies out there don't have that either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

If you read this I inserted it in your sister thrice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Great analogy he quoted.

If China invaded America and levelled New York and Seattle and killed 1000s of civilians would anyone be calling for America to negotiate with China?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Filatov needs to be expelled. We can’t allow an ambassador who is a guest in our country threaten us like that. Out to **** with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, it will be very difficult, but manageable. It will become a generator city, and People have lived in bombed out cities before, even in winter. Now can you imagine just what it will be like for the Russian soldiers in Ukraine? Even before they go into action, their own families have to equip them, with whatever they can find in the market, and it just so happens that following the immutable laws of supply and demand, military gear has hit unprecedented high pricing. Now, on the other hand, Ukrainian soldiers have access to state-of-the-art winter gear. Oh, and on the Russian side, back home in Moscow, I think that this coming winter will be exceptionally hard on Muscovites too. Lack of normal services, shortages, etc. You cannot rip the fabric of society apart as Putin has done and expect that it will be business as normal. Bills have to be paid, employed or not, and just like everywhere in the capitalist world, no mon ? no fun. Heating gets turned off....no rent money? Tough. Because the sanctions are working, but Putins wall of silence is covering up the real picture of what life is really like back home in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Correct but can that Tzar mentality be unlearned Wibbs. I imagine the history books on Russia would be interesting to read - how they portray leaders in the past and their parliamentary systems.

In Sweden they dumbed down the exploits of the Vikings in their history books because they thought it would make their children prone to violence.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Filatov is some bollocks isn't he.

So we're helping people not get maimed by mines and we're contributing to the war effort?

Fuuuuuuck this chump.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wonder if Cathal Berry, knows of any lads who could give him a helping hand to pack and leave

Re: Cold Winter

Wood stoves can be made out of oil barrels or scrap metal.

Timber from ruined buildings can be used as fuel.

Gas bottles & Superser type heaters could be supplied.

In a life or death situation, a foil survival blanket will definitely keep a person alive overnight.

Time for use of every type of micro-generation and survival technique, if anyone can do it, it's the Ukrainians.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This is Ukraine they are used to Russia turning off the gas already,

Hardy people still going on with their lives despite whats been done to them day in and day out,

Wait till we have a winter blackout here ,bordsies going to be loosing their ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is there a russian equivalent of the ESB powercheck website?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭threeball

Watching Putin: The war at home on ITV and its very stark outside of the main cities what a shíthole Russia is. People living in apartments that a junkie would turn their nose up at. All those billions per day and nothing to show for it. Just all pocketed by the mafia known as oligarchs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭threeball

I'd March the fcuker out to Sandymount and tell him to start swimming. We've left him peddle is lies and veiled threats too long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

like a computer game but real evac from a fighter jet at low alt

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

I remember a few years ago we had a big storm, knocked out the power for 3 or four days, and there was utter pandemonium, then you had the shortages due to China shutting down from Covid, first and then when the cargo ship got stuck in the Suez Canal. All sudden cut off from normal life. And we were not prepared (well most of us anyway) i remember that toilet paper was one of the most sought-after items...talk about priorities!!! The Ukrainians will not be caught like that. this winter, they've always had backups, long before the war started.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, it's a Mafia state run by gangsters. 90% of the population are living in poverty whilst the criminals at the top are raking it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

An officer was killed in Iran, who was responsible for the supply of drones to Russia, local media reported

The colonel of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and the commander of the Basij organization, Javad Kikh, was killed yesterday, October 25, in the afternoon in the southeast of Iran.

According to a number of international media, Molashakhi was responsible for the supply of Iranian kamikaze drones to Russia. At the same time, members of the Basij formation are accused of brutally suppressing protests in Iran for the past 15 years.

Nice work. 8-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

And the Brave Ukrainian soldiers will deal with it and fight through all this. Unlike the vodka addled orcs that will start infighting over sleeping bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭seenitall

There is a bit more to this mentality, though. The tradition of imperialism, the ideological remnants of which reach far and wide, and imbue the plebs with a bit of “My own life may be siht but at least I belong to this great nation with a proud and long tradition of subjugating, civilising and benevolently leading lesser peoples”. I actually used to get a subtle enough whiff of a version of that off some people when I lived in England (I’m from the continent, btw, and have no colonial history with the English; just something I noticed as if a slight subtext when chatting with some - and in fairness, not that many). I imagine the French have their own version of that going on. A big difference comes with the fact that lives in the west are generally less siht, less often. Less need for escapism into grandiosity. Russians seem to be imbued with it through and through, they’re reared on it and encouraged to see themselves in relation to the world in that particular light. That no good can come of it would be an understatement.

Post edited by seenitall on

• Advertisement

Really?

One hell of a coincidence, or the work of a state that tends to get things done . . .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement