Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invasion - AppleTV+

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It seemed totally out of the blue, unless I missed something, but why did those guys attack the soldiers who were taking the Malik family to the Pentagon, and who were they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It did, it seemed a bit wierd. Best I guessed was the link to

- the two kids and how their son saw the other son through the fence.

-maybe word got out that they had something that could hurt the aliens.

-in the face of the unknown and so many deaths, it didn't seem surprising that someone or some group might be trying to ambush them to get the weapon they'd heard about.

-even the armed forces people around them already had recognised the importance and sending them to the pentagon sounded like a maximum protection effort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well that was a bit of a meh final episode - must be the slowest moving series ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Very disappointing series.

I wonder how much Sam Neill got paid to be the face of the trailer and then never really be in the series.

• Advertisement

Well.. I'm calling that Season 0. A total proglogue feeling to it.

Feels like someone could probably jump into the next season and not feel like they've missed anything.

Also haven't a clue where the $200 million went. Get the feeling someone made easy bank from Applie with this.

10: Well. I guess that's that then.

I was a bit 'awe nooo.. they killed the kid off' but I'm guessing he's gonna be back.

The husband also a maybe as they just showed where he was shot.. not his body. I wonder could they be going with an angle that he got infected by alien.. will be restored by alien.. and maybe come back.. like as a double agent/drone/spy/something... I dunno.

The one thing about the ship at the end was.. just before the scene.. it looked to me that the water was receding so I was guessing a tsunami.. maybe a tsunami caused by this ship touching the ocean.. maybe other ships doing the same.. would make for a big event opener next season for sure.

Conclusion there about the

nuked something.. something that just doesn't seem big enough to be a source of a planet invasion

seems right

Future: Well now it's starting to look a bit more like the premise that I'd have thought should have been there at the start. So I'm likely going to watch the season 2 that has already been greenlit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've avoided this after the initial negative feedback and seems it never really lived up to the hype/budget. So is the consensus to just not bother with it?

Not if you are expecting a bunch of blockbuster action and aliens and such.

Certainly not if you expect to see walls registering the fact that they had been hit by bullets 😁 (awee.. it's gonna take me a while to get over that one)

Very much a people in inter-personal situations and how they get on with each other.

It's not terribly made. Just hard to see how $200 million could've been sank into it.

Yeah I think that's the best plan. If there is an uptick in quality I can always catch up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Very frustrating series. Had some good moments and had a cinematic look to the whole thing but the pacing was just so bad.

If you're going to make an alien invasion series and focus on small stories within the whole invasion narrative, fine, could be good, but don't have your characters moping around dealing with relationships in boring scenes that go on and on.

The best story was the Middle Eastern family trying to escape US suburbia, but even then we had the husbands infidelities taking a huge chunk of time.

That said I would watch season 2 (as long as Golshifteh Farahani returns!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Complete load of rubbish, whole series could have been condenced in to 2 episodes, I hope Apple have the receipts for the €200 million it apparently cost, ffs I don't know where in the jaysus was that money spent because I couldn't see it anywhere onscreen. If you haven't watched it, don't waste your time.

Apple have been spending a bucket load of cash on new series to be the new kid on the block but yeah 20 million a episode no way - there were no set designs or anything where you might say where the money went

The aliens were decent enough but nothing special and the rest of the CGI was pretty ropey, hazy spaceships etc. A character driven show shouldn't be costing more than 1 million per episode which is what most of the first season was

Hopefully season 2 is better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Just about survived the first episode ... the most drawn out opening to a series I've ever seen.

Have to admit I found it fairly rubbish, not much to entice watching any further. Hoping to gets better as the episodes go on as I'll probably go back to it as a last resort over Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’ve only seen a couple of episode and I like it but the lack of continuity between the four stories is a bit distracting.

News if the attacks (around the world) didn’t reach the kids glued to their phones or the American soldiers and apparently Japan hasn’t been hit nor are they aware of the incidents.

I’m assuming at some point that it will be revealed that the four stories are not happening at the same time but that doesn’t make it feel any less disjointed.

Finally got around to watching this due to a lull in other shows at moment. I can see now why the reception was so poor. They are trying to tell emotionally impactful stories against the backdrop of an apocalyptic event, not dissimilar to Station Eleven except the script and pacing here are just plain awful. I found myself fast forwarding in some places especially with the middle eastern family and the kids. Even towards the end of the series I still couldn't care less about any of them and some of them I would've had no problem with them killing off(Which they did do supposedly). Sam Neill's character had great potential but he was obviously just there to bait and switch the audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

By the end of the season I liked the show a lot. It took too long to show the aliens but once it did it improved a lot.

I thought the American family (or whatever) and the school kids were very good.

Mitsuki is likeable and I get wanting to save her girlfriend but she took no notice of an alien invasion? It was the other characters around her that kept that story going. Hopefully her encounter with the monk and the burning of the jacket means she is moving away from that obsession.

And Trevante is the most unlikeable character I’ve ever seen on TV. Just a selfish weak asshole even when he was helping someone else. Threatening a doctor who had been treating his comrade and leaving her to be killed? And what kind of dick leaves a 15 year old kid to fend for herself? It doesn’t matter what she does or says, you don’t leave until you find her mother. The show needed an old fashioned hero soldier, not this guy.

I was expecting Sam Neill to return at the end of the last episode and to be under the influence of the aliens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I binged it and really enjoyed the show. Spoilers here as I assume anybody who wants to watch already has.

The music is actually class when you listen with headphones it is really easy to immerse yourself in the emotion. The episode where the japanese father and Mitsuki realised there was some signal and they played it on his stereo sounded great, reminded me of the movie “contact”

In terms of budget , it had a movie quality feel throughout. I also think the score for the series was strong. Effects were fine, but it was awfully dark at times which made it hard to see what was going on.

I actually would have preferred less aliens , I think , like the alien movie, the less you see the better. Like in the hospital when you see the person in the corridor just go splat against the window as an alien attacks, if we didn’t know what the alien looks like it would of been even more freaky.

That said, there was a savage, effectively full on horror episode, that was gripping.

Maybe Sam Neill will show up again, but I just presumed he got the big case that defined his life as he wanted. Aliens invading the World, doesn’t get much bigger then that.

I didn’t enjoy the kids story until they got out of the crater/hole.

I don’t think we need a hero and have no issue with Trevante leaving Jamila or Casper, he was only with them a few hours. In fact, it would have been very cliche for him to stay. The entire time he was desperately trying to get home. It looked like the aliens were defeated, Casper was effectively dead and the girl hadn’t even properly looked for her mother. It’s nearly the end of the world, not a soldier finding a lost child in a shopping mall.

One could argue that the flaws and even diskikable/annoying traits of characters actually add authenticity to them.

I like the slow pace and while there are fair complaints about the show, I’ve really enjoyed it. Looking forward to season2

Post edited by Drumpot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Fantastic show, never found it slow or boring as it followed four separate stories. Roll on season 2. 

Season 2 trailer

Starts August 23rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So just finally finished watching this all after only coming across it recently. It was OK.

I though all the time with the kids on the bus seems wasted if its only one or two of them they are eventually going to have in it now.

I knew the telepathic kid was not dead.

Did anyone else notice in the very last episode of Season two that the there was a part where the ones in Japan are speaking Japanese and no translation of it is on the screen?

As for the ships at the end and the receding water. What if the ships are taking the water into them maybe or maybe they touch the Oceon floor and cause massive Tsunamis I guess we will see in Season two soon.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

So season two episode 1 is out. I watched it last night. Definitely more of an idea were the budget was spent now.

However I think the time since the end of the last series should have been longer and the first scene was definitely not shot in Japan. A Scenic and a corsa lol as well as some old Golf's.

Otherwise its getting interesting now do with the threads in this episode going in different ways.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Always good to see Enver Gjokaj in a show.

2.1: Not exactly sure what the showrunners plan is now. Maybe some kind of uneasy peace or maybe just a lose-lose.

The alien ship bit feels a bit like Arrival. Maybe a little crossed with Annihilation.

Maybe it looks like the kid from england, Caspar, might be able to do something for the show if he become some kind of central point fighter type.

The opening scene looked like they've gone cheap on the special effects. Still haven't a clue where all the season one money went. Maybe whatever they had has been slashed or maybe saving for the end of the season. Though.. I got that wrong about season one...

The middle eastern family storyline is as annoying and idiotic as ever. The Japanese woman's storyline is keeping me interested though.

Who was the woman in the hospital bed at the end?

2.2: Well. That's the kids swear words vocabulary tested out 🙂

Eh... some plot that I'd like to know more about. The big picture stuff. The filler story just feels weak.

Practical effects, special effects, set locations, camera work felt really solid.

The big stories look set again to be shaped together through that weapon the mother and kids have, the power casper has, whatever Mitsuki is going to be doing on the crashed spaceship and what looks set to be Trevante maybe .. finally.. re-introducing Sam Neills character.

Maybe the point will be something like... look how all these small stories from around the world in some small and big ways were all needed to stop the aliens.

Feels like the Aliens are continuing the terraforming. Not sure their view of us. Half guessing there is a type of controller Alien not seen yet. That's been a thing in a few scifis I think

lol, that was the kid 😁

Casper

Ms

2.3 excellent episode. Lots going on.

I still can not believe that the Aliens can fly through space but have no shields do. That's crazy.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Episode 2.4 another good episode.

I forget about this lol so still have another episode to watch ye :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Episode 2.5 Oh that got interesting.

These new Aliens are certainly a lot worse. I think radiation might kill them or maybe not. Something has too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement