Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Work has resumed on the city section at Maryborough Hill. They have installed a mirror on a road sign for vehicles coming out. I didn't see what they were doing, but there were a few vehicles on site

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Montyming16

Does anyone know what these squiggly lines highlighted in yellow mean in the drawing where land is being taken over at the Rowan Hill area before the current Mount Oval slip road? I can't tell from the drawings if this part of the road is due to be elevated higher than the current road?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Assume it’s an embankment with the lines dignifying how steep it is. Open to correction.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Those squiggly lines are showing the cutting that's being taken out of the hill there. They're removing most of the grassy area between the slip road and Rowan Hill to facilitate motorway grade sightlines on the exit slip.

The general rule is if the squiggly lines are on the edge of the road carrigeway, it's an embankment where as if the squiggly lines are furthest from the road bordering the edge of the alignment, it's a cutting. This is most clearly demonstrated in the M28 drawings at the quarry in Raffeen, which is to be filled in to road height creating a rather large embankment.

I wonder what the plans are for the statue at the end of the Mount Oval slip road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Imeacht gan teacht ort

If you can locate Shane Ross for me, I'll show you where we can put it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yep wider lines at top of slope, narrow lines at bottom of slope.

Thanks all for clarifying those lines. Do you know if the road is being elevated around that point? Next to where the old mount oval estate is, right next to the current road. I saw images where it looks like the roads are going to be much higher than what is currently there. I thought they would just be widening the road but there appears to be a new slip road higher than the surrounding houses in Wainsfort?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

As mentioned above, the squiggly lines away from the roadway denotes a cutting where it passes by Mt Oval. A cutting is the opposite of an embankment. In other words, the road isn’t elevated. Further north though, there is a new elevated lane to the east of Wainsfort.

Great, thanks for clarifying that! 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

At around 5pm today (Monday 17th), there was a medium-sized orange digger on the west bank of the N28, at the top of Carr's Hill. There seemed to be a bit of activity there....

There was a lot of digging and tree felling here today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

That excavator caused a lot of rubber necking. I was stopped at the top of the hill wondering if traffic was backed up from the N40 but it was just people slowing down to look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

Traditionally those squiggly lines used to be represented by a tadpole shape. The rule was that a tadpole always swims up. So the head is higher than the tail, hence the squiggles are higher than the straight section

Generally cut and fill slopes are 1:2. For every metre in elevation you move 2 in the horizontal. In areas of rock cutting it can be significantly steeper, and similarly in area of soft ground it could be 1:3 or even 1:4

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

I think this animation of the M28 is new?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

All looks good until I got to the Rochestown road interchange; we’ll improve it with a roundabout like the current one about 6 months after the job is done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Dronehawk posted his fifth flyover last month. Interesting to see the extent of the dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I had thought the final section into Ringaskiddy was to be 2+2: the mockup above shows it as a Type 1 Single Carriageway. No big deal, really, as the traffic levels here are pretty low, but just surprising...

It got revised to type 1. Lack of space was the main reason I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It would have been nice to have it as motorway (or 2+2) right the way to Ringaskiddy but yes, no point really. Also, I believe you'd have some issues with how close the junctions would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Today, there were 3 excavators on site. They seemed to be making good progress just off the N28 at the Maryborough slip heading southbound. As I drove past, I could see that a 'route' has been marked out and they were working away.

It's great to see the prep works continuing apace.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Great to see.

Prospects for this project are absolutely fantastic at the minute. The other two projects chugging along with this one are going for a jaunt around the courts system and the rest of the roads project is facing some sort of bureaucratic stonewalling (I wonder why?!).

This leaves plenty of spare money in the roads budget and hopefully a 2024/2025 start.

I wonder if they'll open some of it in pieces, such as the Maryborough Hill Link Road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Great video. That music though…it doesn’t “resolve”…my ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

I'd be interested to know which drone this guy is using . I have a DJI Mavik Air and would only get a fraction of the range he's getting before return to home mode would kick in due to lost signal to the hand held controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

It’s wonderful that after so many years the stars finally seem aligned for the M28. Galway and Limerick’s loss is Cork’s gain.

Isn’t Limerick also getting the motorway to Foynes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It is, but two judicial reviews have appeared. I saw that in the thread on here, but there was no more detail. So that one is delayed by a year or two now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

That isn't guaranteed. They could be thrown out or withdrawn with no real delay to the project.

• Advertisement

Yes that is very true, but the M21 is delayed now by at least a few months and the Galway Ring Road is completely up in the air. The only projects which have 100% confirmed planning permission and can proceed with any certainty are this, the remaining 2.7km of the N56 Dungloe-Glenties, and the N59/N86 tourist route projects (I've omitted the N5 in Roscommon here as that's been tendered and is effectively committed to). In 2021 it was clear there would be some jockeying around to get the trio of M6/M21/M28 started in the next few years but that's subsided somewhat for now.

Advertisement