Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 and Model Y Waiting Room and Delivery Queries (No referral links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Think the delivery charges are saucy enough, so the Model Y is in the middle between the two EV6 prices. It's much bigger though, e.g. boot space of 854L vs 490L, nearly twice as big

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭joe1303l

A Model Y is definitely bigger but the boot space is highly exaggerated. The 854L that Tesla quote is measured to the roof of the car which is nonsense. Every other manufacturer measures volume to the parcel shelf.

One other downside to an EV6 is that the rear seat bench is set very low from the floor. Not an issue for kids but lanky teenagers or adults will find their knees sitting up. I’m sure the Tesla would be better in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@blobert - "Even though the Model Y should be quite a bit more efficient than the Kia I can't see it making up for 22kw more battery."

Yes it can. Not so much in the WLTP figures - though these are a good indicator for efficiency in general. The party trick the Teslas have is not just having very good efficiency, but it is their aerodynamics. The Model Y has a Cd of 0.23 (extremely good) where most of the competition has a Cd of around 0.28 (poor), even the slick looking Kia EV6

This makes a huge difference in range at motorway speeds. The WLTP cycle goes up to 120km/h, but only once and only briefly. So it is a poor measure for real life motorway range. And let's be honest, the only time that range counts is on longer motorway trips, like your holiday in France

Also the car will tell you at what Superchargers to stop along your route and how long these stops will take and it will prepare the battery en route to the superchargers, so it can charge in the fastest possible way. Tesla superchargers are also very reliable, you don't need a dongle, a phone app or a payment method and most have plenty of charging bays so zero or very little waiting time

A Tesla, even one with the smallest battery of them all, can easily do a long distance trip quicker than other EVs with much bigger batteries for above reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭mun1

Ordered model Y , delivery due March 2023

coming from an Audi Q4 . Q4 lovely car to drive but Sick of the tech issues which become grating after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks for that.

I ran the figures through ABRP, they don't seem to have the RWD Model Y as it's new so I used a SR Model 3 with bigger wheels, even still it's got about 490km in range vs 455 of the Model Y so the Model Y will be worse in real life.

ABRP says it will take 23hr 45min in the Tesla with 11 stops, with about 3hrs 30 of charging. Tesla route planner has about the same amount of charging but spread over 6 very long stops of 50 to 70 mins a go.

ABRP says it will take 22hr 10mins in the Kia EV6 (using all Ionity chargers) with 8 stops and 2hrs 40 of charging in total.

Now when I did this trip from Dublin to Nice in real life this summer as I say I drove faster 140kmph as I believe with the Kias really fast charging it made sense to do so. And again here I think this would give the Kia the edge in terms of total charge time vs the above. The SR Teslas seem to only charge up to 170kw where the Kia will do up to 235kw (I saw it hit up to 225kw on the Ionity chargers). I'm only doing this in the summer time and so the Kia really did hit advertised charging speeds this summer on the trip.

I'm also going to be doing this trip with a dog so the Kia route with Ionity fits the bill better in that it's stopping every 2-3 hrs for 20 mins which is good for a quick walk/wee for the dog. The Tesla very long stops or loads of brief stops don't seem ideal.

That said as you mentioned the Supercharging might swing it a bit. On the trip over we had some faffing about with non Ionity chargers that delayed us by an hour+ We also had to wait at a busy Ionity charger for a while. That said on the way back we used just Ionity and there were no hitches/delays.

I've booked a test drive of the Model Y to see in any case. As I say I prefer it's bigger space to the EV6, especially boot though I can't help but feel it is a slight downgrade in terms of range and this might matter on my big road trips (it wont matter at all going around Ireland)

@unkel How do you see Tesla resale values holding up? What does appeal is that I could probably sell my EV6 now for quite a bit more than I paid for it due to price increases/lack of demand this one is €57,000 and mine has half the mileage at only 6,000km

So if I could pocket about 4-5k difference here, buy the Model Y and either keep it for a while if I like it or later sell it trade up to the Kia EV9 if I need more space/range, it is appealing. You had mentioned the grant might be on the way out which would probably help the Tesla's resale value and the EV9 will be over the grant limit so that won't affect its price. So it might be worth doing on that basis. I also like swapping cars/trying new ones out!

Is the Tesla deposit in any way refundable? Just thinking if I put the Kia EV6 up for sale and can't sell it at the higher price I'd probably want to pull out of the Tesla plan!

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

You can adjust energy consumption in ABRP so it will match WLTP.

Unless something changed since last year, the Tesla in car nav will calculate ferry trips as driving, so you can adjust based on that, i.e. if you take a 300km ferry trip, the car will want you to have enough energy as if driving that distance

@blobert - a few things I'd like to comment on:

• you already had some issues. And no doubt some stress and waiting with Ionity and other chargers. No need for that with Teslas. And next year it will likely be busier, the number of EVs being sold is going up very quickly now. That said, you know your own car well and you were able to get the most out of its very fast charging. Fair play on that!
    • As for price, yeah try and sell your current car for more than you paid for it (before it will hit some depreciation), take the €5k subsidy and the Model Y is fairly shielded from inflation. I'm doing the same myself.
    • Tesla deposit is refundable under EU distance selling laws. @Gumbo has commented on it here in detail and has got other people to get their refunds back, sometimes after many months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Just one thing on ABRP is I've found when you pick Tesla it only selects Tesla CCS and not CCS as well which would include Ionity etc. Might make a few mins difference over a long trip like that, if you didn't select it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks again,

Doing test drive tmw and if I like it I'll place an order.

If nothing else I'd be curious to see how much quicker/slower the same trip would be next summer with the Tesla. They have opened up their network to other cars in France, I meant to use one of their Superchargers on the route back with the EV6 but didn't in the end, so I'm not sure if that will mean they get a lot busier.

Certainly I did find the Ionity and more so non Ionity experience a bit stressful so there would be a plus to having a more straightforward charging network on the way. That's one aspect of long range driving with an EV that's still a fair bit worse than ICE cars, you generally don't have to worry about whether the petrol pump will work when you get there!

Thanks again for the input and if anyone is looking for a very low mileage EV6 let me know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TSLQs

Hi all.

I have a Model 3 on order due to arrive Jan-Mar 23. I have already once been offered a car that matched my spec but was unable to take it due to having to arrange finance and sell my current car at such short notice.

Now however if another is offered to me, I will be able to accept. BUT, my question is, should I?

I would be the proud owner of a 222 D Model 3, but it being so close to year end now, would the resale value of this car in say, 3 years, be much less than a 231 D Model 3? On the surface it would look like it is a full year younger even though in reality it is probably only a month or two younger?

It’s a bit of a pickle. Should I go for it and have a pre Christmas car? Or wait and have a potentially, more valuable come resale time, post Christmas car?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

you might have no choice.

Tesla don’t hold cars for people for the year end. They push and the Q4 figures this year are very important.

If you say no, it will go to the next person I’d imagine.

Maybe compare the prices of a 192 and 201 M3 now to see what kind of price differences are out there.

Likely to be €3K+ of a price differential in the short term. If you intend to keep it long term it becomes less relevant. Values of used cars over 5 years old rely more on mileage and condition rather than a number plate

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭JOL1

Take what you are offered. Year is no longer as important as it once was..condition, demand milage (not sure what right word in Km's is) are more important in determining resale and as @Gumbo has said you may not be able to determine when you might get offered another .

At the end of the day only you can decide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Did Tesla quietly drop the prices for the M3 also?

Out of curiosity was looking at how much a new one would cost, M3 RWD in MSM (aka fancy grey) colour, 18 inch Aeros and no FSD/EAP shows up as €54,263 (after SEAI grant) with delivery estimated for Q1 next year.

That’s normal.

Same price as the MY SR/RWD in MSM.

It's mad that Model 3 and Model Y (a safer, substantially bigger car with a substantially better spec) are the same price.

For some, bigger might not appeal but nobody in their right mind would buy the current Model 3 considering how you get so much more spec on the Model Y. Model 3 should have better range but the difference is probably negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Ah, I thought that every model three had gone beyond the SEAI grant. Must have misunderstood some of the earlier chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭JOL1

Only colour red pushes Model 3 RWD above SEAI grant, all other colours qualify unless you add upgraded features

Same rules for both. You can have any colour except red. And if you pick the cheapest colour: white, you can also have a towbar or a white interior. No other options are allowed 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Aside from being bigger and having a rear hatch, what are the other spec differences with RWD 3 vs Y?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Better sound, double glazing in back. I am sure there is more..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I believe the Y come with rear passenger window factory tints

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Octovalve heatpump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

To further add, MY also has a bioweapon hepa filter, footwell lights and internal door pocket lights and rear passenger door emergency release latch which the M3 RWD doesn't have. On the pros of M3 RWD - better handling, more efficient, longer range, nicer AERO wheel covers and I do think it looks better. Otherwise very similar - I think size and the range/efficiency are the main considerations between the two. Both are amazing cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭E30M3

Has anyone here test drove and decided the Model Y wasn't for them?

I'm sure others would be interested in their thinking.

Personally I'm going to test drive with an open mind and see what I think, have to say the constant changes (improvements?) would frustrate me a little. I'd prefer to get the car I tested or understand the differences likely in the interim.

The proposed replacement of stalks for example with buttons would be something I'd be unsure of and could have a big impact on how you feel about the car.

Constant changes and improvements are part & parcel of Tesla. It's frustrating and hard to keep up, but surely it's the best way? Rather than the incumbent way, find something that's bad and say, ah well shure we will fix that for the facelift version in 3-4 years time?

I'm sure some people test drove the early RHD Model 3 from Sandyford on the 20" wheels and thought it was too harsh. Like every single motoring journo in Europe test drove the Dutch reg one (is it still parked round the back in Sandyford?) and all came to the same conclusion. It's a pity we can't test drive the same setup car as the one we ordering now, but it will be very different and much improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭E30M3

I suppose my thinking is that maybe not everything TESLA regard as an improvement might be accepted as such by all owners

I'm unsure about the loss of control where updates are pushed without a decision point as to whether the owner wants the update or not but that may be a function of my age and approach to other technology.

Thinking out loud really and I understand this is the business model they employ.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The price reduction is a major change, the Y is now priced alongside the ID4 , Hyundai Ioniq and EV6 , I’ve driven all except the Tesla ( I have driven the model 3 )

• Advertisement

You have the control not to update.

The update has to be accepted, downloaded and installed by the end user.

Advertisement