Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Syd isn’t necessarily saying he thinks Leinster will lose tho.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thanks alooof, some people dont understand what is being said to them.

I dont think they will lose, i dont think they will win by more than 8 points which is the reason i see value in backing scarlets +9.

Leinsters away results in the URC so far this season have been wins by 4, 7 and 10 points respectively, with much better sides than is travelling to scarlets.

edity: just checked again, and the spread has shortened to leinster -8, so the money followed scarlets

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Thanks alooof, some people dont understand what is being said to them.

Given some of the interactions I've had of late, I can only say I couldn't agree more... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We're very lucky to have Deegan and Penny. Great talent to have when the starters are off. On Clarkson, any kind of good scrum performance would be ideal! Who knows where big Mike will be next year!

Our team tomorrow is a mix of elders warriors and cubs. I am chuffed to see Tector involved! What a moment for him! Where's HB? Is he still out? At this stage maybe it's time to move on from him? I just can't see him having the durability to have a long career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

What’s the way too early leinster fan consensus on Tector? I was pretty unimpressed in the under 20s (seems too slow to me).

Also, has King the winger got any hype around him in Leinster camp? He looked an absolute freak in the game time he got in under 20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,287 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

HB has a hamstring injury, I think.

He has terrible luck with injury. But there comes a point when you wonder if ots bad luck or if this is just his injury profile. I'd imagine leinster will persist with him until he gets a run of games. I wouldn't write him off or anything, but you wonder when his chance will come.

Frawley having such terrible injury luck means they haven't tested him either.

There's just so much time a squad can wait on someone. Even if Sexton does retire and Frawley is seen as a 10, there's 2 good prospects on the way. One who is on the bench tomorrow. The reality of HB is, a high ceiling that we've not seen. He's unfortunate with injuries so, how's he going to muster a run? For all the accolades and hype, the results are not good. I'm not saying write him off, I'm wondering what the breaking point is? Will Leinster give Frawley a shot to challenge HB? Will Tector get some valuable minutes?

I wasn't sold on Tector until the later stages of the 6nations. He really played very well in games 4 and 5! Decent prospect, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I’d take Byrne in a second at Ulster. He might be injury prone forever or he might have a contract where he’s mostly fine. You have to chase upside though, and I still feel like he has the highest upside of any young leinster 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jason Jenkins has been called up to the South Africa squad for the Autumn Internationals. Great for him to have his excellent form rewarded. Not so great for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Well earlier than I thought but I did call it lol.

Good for him getting called up. I hope he grabs the chance with both hands.

Unless this is 4D chess from Rassie again and he's bringing JJ in to learn all of Leinsters (and by extension Irelands) moves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Yup you did, and I think I fairly dismissed the notion. That's me shown 😳

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

leinster down to -7 now.

the forecast is for a dryish mild evening

Congratulations to Jenkins. Well deserved! He's been playing really well.

Good interview and article about Deegan in the 42. He says he enjoyed the EI tour and is looking for a consistent run. I think he's definitely a dark horse for the world cup.

Looking forward to seeing Cosgrave and Tector! The future players are always worth a watch on these gamedays. Russell has been good thus far and he's now old news, lol. Kearney back with Ngati helps the young players in the backline. Turner is a 13 and is playing in his preferred position. I always rated him at the u20 level. He could be a nice surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

With Deegan, hard to know where his gametime is going to come from at the moment if he wants to push on for international honours. If there was a do-or-die game for Leinster tomorrow Conan would be at 8, if he was injured Doris would be at 8, and if he were injured then maybe Deegan would be. He's a bit like Penny in that isn't going to crack the first team but is too good to be not making matchday 23s imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

I've always rated Deegan, was surprised when he resigned as regular gametime at a different province could see him in the Irish squad. In the URC last year he was the best 8 imo. I think he's on the same level as Dorris and Conan at Leinster but doesn't get the nod in the big games.

In the Irish squad you've Prendergast and Coombes ahead of him but I feel Deegan is a better player than both. However he won't get back in unless he can start in the big European games

I like him a lot as a player, but don't think he's shown he's as good a player as Doris, Conan or Coombes at this point. Hasn't really delivered in big games, and part of that is down to not getting to play many big games, but you have to earn that right too.

He's getting another run tonight though in what looks like a good back row, and will get opportunities for Ireland A over the next month or so too, so hopefully he just keeps progressing. James Culhane behind him looks a serious prospect at 8 too.

Conan is the best 8 on Leinster, imo. Doris can fit in at 6 and do a good job. Deegan is probably faster than both of these players and I'd say probably a better passer but, he's not as powerful or as good a defensive player. It's not a huge difference and Deegan could get to the physicality needed. Problem is, there's a raft of quality blindside coming in. So Doris may not be used at 6. If Baird focused on blindside, he could do the job! Then there's Soroka and Mangan, all coming through soon enough. Deegan needs to get that run now. If he's to make the 8 jersey his, he needs to play world class rugby. Conan and Doris can, so Max needs to lay a marker.

Deegan backed himself by taking another contract with Leinster. He must fancy his chances?

Where does this leave O'Brien? Good looking player with a glut of quality ahead of him. He too can play blindside but, the others are probably better atm.

Awful problems for Leo and co

These are great problems to have tbh. And I don't think any are bad players, but for me, Caelan Doris is by far the pick of the bunch.

I've always rated Max Deegan highly. Was excellent at the u20 World Cup where Ireland were runners up and transitioned to pro rugby without much effort.

He's a talented player and I'm pretty sure he has won separate motm awards for Leinster playing at 6, 7 and 8. Runs good lines, is a threat in the deck, has pace to make good metres out wise and is an excellent passer of the ball.

His biggest issue is that Caelan Doris also does all of these things and is even better at them. He's also a more powerful athlete.

Deegan is a good player who just doesn't seem to have a position for himself. At best he's Leinsters third choice 8 behind Doris and Conan. And even at 6 he has been usurped by Baird. The latter may not have the passing skills of Deegan, but he offers such athleticism and power that he's being fast tracked into his new position.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Good start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

That is some start. Scarlets cut wide open. Great try.

Lol what a start

Incredible handling from Ngatai to bring that ball right to the line before pulling the pass back to the receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Cosgrove getting a try 40 seconds into the game will have to settle the nerves of anyone worrying that the Leinster team is a little too callow.

There was a beautiful backline move between Byrne and Ngati in the build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Brilliant by Charlie natai there, he seemed really fired up even coming onto the pitch.

Penny looks in a bad way there

Some seriously good maul defence, followed by goal line defence.

Still an awful lot of poor discipline when we enter the opposition 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Is the player allowed grab the scrum halfs arm like that if on their feet? Welsh commentators on Premier not happy

There's no earthly way that steal was legal.

Scarlets are up in the line very fast. There should be opportunities to kick in behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Advertisement