Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB so disappointed..government levy gone unpaid,uninformed and blacklisted..

• 26-10-2022 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have been a customer of Aib for years,I always felt that regardless of the institution,the people you deal with are what make the experience ,for me it has always been a nice one..until this week. Today,in application for a load with another institution I was informed by another provider that my bank have put me a type of black list for 5 years for a credit card payment due for up to the value of 1000, after hours of being on hold and talking to my bank I learned that an old credit card had 0.73 cent owned on it and was then transferred into a new credit card which I don’t ever remember seeing or using . the new card had then a government levy’s added plus some interest and amounted to 54 euro, the bank indicated they sent letters,I later notice it was to my old address.I have not owned or used my credit card in 7 years,I have online banking that does not include any c account but have never seen an alert or email message indicating I have an outstanding debit that is being written off as bad debit. When we took our mortgage out with Aib in 2019 no mention of this card or balance, why is it ok for the bank to put me on a black list without any email or phone all or even alert. I was sick to my stomach today to understand that I was on a bad credit list. Have always paid my bills and had a great credit history with the bank,I feel it is unfair to not have any in person communication on this from the bank and then they go ahead me write me off as bad credit. I paid the 54 euro today but was sick to my stomach that I am now unable to avail of any financial loan for a new car as a result. The bank insist it’s my responsibility to update my address, I was informed as part of the mortgage application my new address would be updated,did not happen and tried to do it online but would not allow,so a few months ago I tried to do it online,then I went to the bank and was told they could not do it due to technical difficulties,I then was able to do online. After 3 years of on time payments in my mortgage,one delayed payment of 4days and the bank were on the phone looking for it,I paid the mortgage on the 5th day and explained the payment delay on my employer side,why is it ok for the bank to call me 4 days after mortgage arrears and in 5 years not ring before they black list me for a credit card charge I was not aware of and would have easily paid 😞,is there anything I can do,I just want to move banks and never ever deal with Aib again,🙁,is there any way to get this revolked?

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Confirm your email address so you can post properly, and then I'll move this to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Naima13

Thank You.I will do

cant find the activation email,do I need to get it resent so I can confirm my email? It is <removed>

Post edited by Spear on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Don't post personal details like email addresses in public, they'll just get you the attention of spambots.

Follow these instructions to activate your account fully:

Thank you,the link to manually reset the confirmation email is not working for me,I sent an email to the help desk

• Advertisement

Hi ,can you help me post this in the correct forum now pls,my email address has been validated by admin.many thanks

And moved accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Teemarie

Make a complaint in writing and request that your ccr be rectified. If what happened is that government levy caused that and card hasn't been used then your ccv will be rectified.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

As I have pointed out to you elsewhere, this is not as simple as you think....

The bank must comply with the law of the land and EU directives and these require them to report certain credit related details to the Central Credit Registry operated by the Central Bank, they have no discretion. The reporting requirements were changed in 2019, which is most likely, why you did not have an issue getting your mortgage at the time.

You need to apply for a copy of your CCR report and see what it contains. I expect you will find that your credit card debt of the government levy of 54 euro plus the 0.73 cent has nothing to do with your problem as the amounts are too small and don't meet the reporting requirements of themselves.

If you take the time to read through this document Guidance on the Central Credit Register, which admittedly is very long at 125 pages, you will find that the law requires the bank to report on certain events and in your case that is past dues. In this respect you had a missed credit card payment of up to 1,000 Euro, which is over the reporting limit and a further missed mortgage payment, which I'm guessing is also above the limit, which I think is 500 Euro. Of course I could be wrong, there may well be something else on that report that you have over looked, but you won't know until you get a copy of the report. As it stands, lenders looking at your CCR report are seeing someone who does not comply with the terms and conditions of loans granted to them and that is a problem a lending institution can ignore.

As regards your address, it is your responsibility to ensure your address is up to date. And according to what you have said here: "so a few months ago I tried to do it online, then I went to the bank and was told they could not do it due to technical difficulties,I then was able to do online", you were aware up to a few months ago that they did not have your correct address.

At this point without knowing what is actually in your CCR report, it is difficult to say what if any thing can be done, beyond letting the events expire as required by law. So I would suggest you apply for your report and when you get it, if you think we can help come back to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Is it possible that as the credit card had a limit of €1,000, that it was treated as a lending facility of €1,000 and even though it was a 73c balance (possibly interest added after what the op thought was a final payment), it was seen as a default on at €1,000 facility and reported as such.

It is very petty of a bank to do this, but it is done by an automatic system

The bank CAN change it, BUT you must be respectful to the person you are talking to so that they feel that they want to make this right for you. Do not start going on a verbal rampage no matter how much you think it is warranted - put it in writing, be FACTUAL and ask that because it was an oversight on BOTH our parts, could it be corrected.

If they won't do it after requesting pleasantly, you can send a complaint to the financial ombudsman

• Advertisement
Advertisement