Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice making house doors safer

• 28-10-2022 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone,

I'm a new owner and wanted to make the doors of my new house a bit safer.

My house has one front door with multipoint lock and a letterbox. On the backyard we've got one double french door to the kitchen and one single french door to the laundry room.

So far I bought a Patlock for the double french doors, but wanted to know how I could better protect the remaining doors. A couple of stuff I thought about:

• Single french door: adding a bolt lock towards the ceiling.
    • Front door: adding a door chain lock
    • Letterbox: adding a letterbox restrictor

Any advice on the above or how I can make them safer?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

You tube may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 zaino

Tried it already, couldn't find any relevant information. I also tried searching all over the place in Google and couldn't find much. Can you please share any thing you've found?

There's a ton of stuff on you tube , just try different search words , eg door reinforcement.

I presume its to make them safer against break in?

A lot of older sliding doors and French doors can be easy enough to force open and can be improved with additional locks to deter an opportunist but if there is glass in the doors that's generally the weak point and not the locks. A lot of robberies are smash and grab.

Yes I'd be looking for solutions that would help prevent break-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Not entirely for making the doors more secure but a camera pointing at the doors and visible from outside is a bit of a deterrent.

We got my mam got a Ring camera as she was getting hassled by dodgy door knockers trying to power hose her driveway for several €100s. The last video we have of one is him walking up, seeing the camera and then turning his back so his face wasn't visible anymore. They don't knock anymore.

I got a couple of battery blink cameras for the front and back and have them so they'll see anybody coming or going (if I've armed them). They won't deter anybody determined but they might for the opportunistic guy who doesn't want to be recorded.

I have some home automation stuff too so that our hall lights will come on just before sunset and turn off at specified times. So the house is never pitch black when you'd expect people to be home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Also check how secure the frames are, a friend came how one day to find their very well secured front door sitting with its frame in the hallway.

Wake me up when it's all over.

We've got a camera doorbell and a backyard camera, but I'm looking for basic door lock protection at the moment. Kind of feel I should do better than the lock provided on the doors.

The letterbox is of particular concern. Are there any indoor box I can place behind the letterbox, to prevent any kind of arson?

LOL coming from the UK I find it really funny that some Irish people have a thing about letterboxes and security. I've been told variously that a letterbox weakens a door and its a security risk. You'll know what is a security risk when you answer questions for your house insurance. I bet they asked if you had French doors but didn't ask if you had a letterbox.

If you must a simple cowl deflector will help stop someone looking in and using it to fish for keys and to try and turn the lock. Otherwise just seal it up and fix an external post box.

I've seen those, but it still feels prone to arson. Wouldn't want one of those lads sticking a firecracker through my letterbox.

• Advertisement

The get rid of your letterbox if your paranoid about it, put up a box outside - you won't be alone. Then you risk someone stealing your mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How many houses are randomly attacked by people putting fire in the letter box? I live close to a rough area and they regularly light fires near me, they love burning wheelie bins. They have never set fire to any home or vehicle.

The vast majority of theft is opportunist so making sure that your doors and windows are closed is more important than the lock. Also check that your windows and doors are fitted correctly as a lot of theft recently has been by removing the window.

Fire is a much bigger risk to your family than burglary, if your home is burning you need to be able to get out quickly and easily. Added door security will slow your families exit and you don't want your family to be in a fire while you fiddle with loads of locks. How many fire extinguishers have you?

That's a good point! One fire extinguisher in the kitchen with a fire blanket as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

So was the one I suggested but the OP is bothered about bangers being shoved in the letter box or someone trying to burn his house down. A little OTT IMO unless there is local evidence of this happening?

Have you considered getting a dog or a security guard.

Advertisement