Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

I've an entry I can't use for this now due to injury. I know they're non-transferable but not sure if there's a way I can offload it so it's not wasted. Not looking for money or anything. I won't be able to make the expo but can email over what I have if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DarHan84

I can only speak to my experience but I believe charity groups and some clubs are being assigned spots between the 25 and 26 mile markers to make as much colour, noise etc as they can. Should be awesome if it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Yes, they tend to stand opposite Churchtown Rd (just after the Dropping Well as we run) so they can see up the hill and spot me. Added bonus is that's a downhill section so you tend to look a little better for the photos 😂

For the finish they generally try and squeeze in between Pembroke and Haddington Rd and then walk back to meet me after I collected my bag etc. To be honest I've only actually seen them 2 out of 4 times in that last section, my mind is usually trying to fight the pain at that point. Your supporters could also try getting off the Luas and walking down the canal. I'm not sure if that saves any time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

16 should be fine, drops you right beside the bleeding horse pub and from there it's only a 10min walk max.

Other options (Luas, 14 etc) involve more of a walk to the stop and won't save you much time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone staying in the Ballsbridge area?

I'm in the Clayton which is a 30 mins walk from start area according to Google maps.

I've walked in from that general area before but keen to give it a swerve this time if possible and reduce time on feet.

Looking at getting a taxi in to somewhere closer...not sure what the road closure situation will be at ~7am though 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

Q for the previous runners - what are the queues like for number collection if I turn up for 12-1pm tomorrow, it’s the time that suits best.

15min, or an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah going there at that time as well, only time I can do it

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Yermander

I went on a Saturday afternoon last time and the Q was short, 5-10 mins from what I remember, very well organised

Although Friday lunch could be very different!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Tracking for spectators - I share my location on Whatsapp (click on paper clip icon when writing a message, select location option). Doesn't seem to affect battery much, I use it all day when out in the hills on my own.

You can also do simliar with Google Maps - click on your Name Icon top right and select Location Sharing.

Both allow you to define the duration that sharing is active.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Collected it at about that time in 2018, took about 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Will there be any restrictions getting to park in qpark in Stephens green on the morning? Just thinking with family coming up and roads closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Fresh breeze looks certain now for the Crumlin wind tunnel.

Nice helping wind for miles 2-7 though which will help conserve.

Clonskeagh Rd may also prove a challenge depending on how strong it stays, nice wind at the back for the road home too though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Approximately right.

When you record an activity on the watch it does so entirely independent of the phone and no data is uploaded to the Garmin servers until after you hit the stop button on the watch and it then syncs with the phone to upload the activity.

With the live tracking the watch sends some of the data on location and pace and elevation live to the phone and its then shown on the Live tracking page. But, that upload expires after 12 hours and disappears. The activity data is still not actually uploaded to Garmin Connect until after you hit the stop button and sync with the phone as normal.

The live tracking data doesn't have as much data points as the final activity upload, and it doesn't include a lot of the running metrics data... Although it does include the extra data that I have linked to my Garmin showing blood glucose levels which was unexpected when I spotted that?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

My first marathon and keep thinking everything that can go wrong will go wrong. Worried about my stomach and queues for portaloos before it starts

travelling up from gorey early that morning and we could only get parking in grand canal. A 20 min walk. My wife will drop me. I wonder can she drop me close to were we start and then go back and park?

also concerned i won’t sleep well the night before. I was super calm up until yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Don’t want to sound too harsh mate but a 20min walk? Come on that’s nothing. You’re about to run 42km a 20 min walk is less than 2km! If anything it will act as a good warm up. Don’t be adding extra stress to yourself or your Mrs by trying to get as close as possible, you’ll end up getting diverted or something and end up further away. Just park up and walk the 20mins.

Its Ok to be nervous , I still get nervous and I’m running my I don’t know how many at this stage Marathon.What I like to do is remind myself how lucky I am to be even in a position where I’m fit and healthy enough to be able to run.

Plenty of people would love to be in our position. You never know from day to day what could happen any of us so I use that thought to kick myself into gear.The day will come when I won’t be able to do this anymore and I’ll be wishing for the days that I could and no one knows when that day will come.

Enjoy your race, you’ll be fine.

btw if you’re worried about stomach issues there is nothing wrong with popping an imodium tablet or two before the race!

If you're worried about sleeping that night, try to get rest during the day. Even if it's not sleep, just lie down with the feet up.

Echo that 20mins not far and will help you clear your head but if you are worried, have your wife pull in before you turn onto Macken St. Only a 5min walk to Merrion Sq.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

I always consider two nights out (in other words, tonight) to be the more important sleep. Try to get to bed early and stay in bed as late as possible tomorrow.

Sleep less important the night before. If you're well rested then adrenaline/excitement will get you through any tiredness!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

It's totally normal to be feeling the way you are, and is typical of the closing couple of days before.

You will feel different on Sunday morning. It will feel like Xmas morning when you're 6 years old, you'll be bursting with excitement.

The 20 min walk is good. Allow yourself enough time and enjoy it, in your own headspace, visualising your race, your favourite tunes on.

You'll have one of the best days of your life. Enjoy every minute, from the moment you wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

This! There will be people everywhere walking towards the start line wearing bin bags and all sorts of clothes they are discarding. Soak up the atmosphere and enjoy it. Don’t worry too much about sleep at this point. Try to relax more today and tomorrow and drink loads and get a few extra carbs in. If you eat well normally you don’t need to overdo it. Carb rich meals and an extra 2 slices of toast and jam and you won;t be too sluggish either. Enjoy your first marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

As someone who hasn't used bag drop in years, can we place a smaller bag/rucksack inside the expo provided clear one?

As long as it fit in that bag and is labelled it's ok right?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭FazyLucker

What the others have said really. R.F.

You will only do your first marathon once. Don't let stress, parking, sleep etc ruin it.

As FinnC said, it is a position of privilege you are in to be in a position after months of hard training to make the start line.

Soak it all up, don't go out too fast, take in the crowd.

When it gets tough on the way around, distract yourself with all these people shouting you on. Don't let your mind take over your body because it will be shouting stop.

She would probably be able to drop you a bit closer (e.g. as far as the junction of Holles Street or along the canal) so don't stress about it. If you have to walk, walk it slowly, you will be running for long enough!!!

(BTW, Pat Kenny had both Catherina McKiernan and Mick Clohessy on this week. Have a listen on Spotify, Newstalk, etc. They had loads of advice for those running, much better than my very anecdotal experience).

By Sunday afternoon you will be a "marathon man" and will have experienced one of the greatest events in the Irish sporting calendar. It is the closest most of us will ever come to playing in front of a big crowd! Enjoy it and soak it up!!

I'm, hoping for a bobble hat in the goodie bag at Noon. Big collection of them now. Best reminded of the DCM around town afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭FazyLucker

Yeah that won't be a bother. Your race number will be on the clear bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

No harm to ask the question at the expo. The clear bags are for safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

My mentality was always that if I have trained properly for the past 5/6 months, and if I have prepared properly this week, then frankly it doesn't matter what I do on Saturday night, I will still be able to run that marathon on Sunday morning.

Tonight is probably more important, get a good nights sleep and take it easy tomorrow. The money is in the bank at that stage, you can toss and turn all Saturday night and still hit your goals easily in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

The clear bags are also for logistics reasons - imagine having thousands of different size, weight and type of bag to manage, and someone will try to baggage drop a suitcase :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I hope they are giving out bobble hats, how will people know I ran the 2022 Dublin city marathon if I don't have one :-(

Advertisement