Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The only real issue I see there is an arrest happened for a civil matter. Legislation shouldn't let any fringe nut just have someone arrested like that for a slap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,961 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This is my problem with 2022. I don't know if that's sarcasm or not. Which is why I want boards to bring back PAC. At least he indicated a post less serious. If you're not being sarcastic, then that definitely wasn't my intention. I did a good few serious replies last night so I was due a silly one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

It really is amazing how the church of social justice has transformed leftism into the anti-liberal movement it is today. Being a member of the left used to be about common sense, no racism, no homophobia, lifting up the working class instead of the anti-liberal movement it is today.

Also, interesting to note the people who inhabit the social justice space are inevitably some of the most privileged people in human history yet endlessly talk about the privilege of others. They also tend to on the narcissistic side using the 'Fascist/Racist/Transphobic' boogeyman as simply a tool to improve their status in their little in-group.

Anyway, A man is a biological male with a penis with XY chromosones. A women is a biological female with a vagina and XX chromosones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Blame Marxism that now does not focus on the working classes. Old leftist would turn in the grave if they saw the new left.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not only anti liberal, anti free speech. “Disagree or criticise and there will be consequences” is their mantra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

This is a real reds under the beds type conspiracy now.

Which of the current government parties are the most Marxist?

There he is freedom of speech loving John posting another angry post about how other people use words.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its hilarious isnt it. The opponents of the law being updated claim they want free speech until its speech they dont like 🤣

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,000 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Under what sub section and subject would anything I say would be deemed hateful?

Be specific please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,850 ✭✭✭growleaves

But is anyone being actively prevented from using their own pronouns, either by law or by people 'claiming they want free speech'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Anything negative whatsover about the protected peoples.

And remember it's someone else's interpretation - so it could be anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

We may have come a long way technically, but some people are still behaving like they did back in the salem witch trials.

They're like hysterical children.....

When you tare out a person's tongue you're not proving them a liar, you're just telling the world you fear what they could potentially say.

Comedy is another thing that's being attacked by lunatics.

You'll probably notice that these lunatics who like to cancel thing's aren't funny nor are they attractive to listen to, look at or do they fit in with society in general.

Show me a social justice warrior who's easy on the eye, healthy looking or has potential to add anything to their lives.

I have pity on them, they're like religious or ignorant people of long ago. Deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I think given this new law, people who use pronouns on their social media profiles , Facebook, Tiktok, Linkdin etc, should be expected to update their pronouns daily, every morning, perhaps email every other employee....it's only fair, how will the rest of us know for sure what a person is identifying as on any particular day...politicians should lead the charge on this, how else am we to know what Simon Harris is identifying as on any given day? You know we will get sneaky one's changing their pronouns overnight in the hope they land some poor git in jail!!! I wouldn't put it past Harris, he is a virtuous narcissist!

Being a member of the travelling community is one of the current protected grounds. So I assume you can point to all the incidents where they have been abused online and in the media that have resulted in convictions?

'Those who wish to give stronger powers to the authorities to prosecute others for views they don,t like or agree with under the guise of " hate speech " ought to be careful what he / she wish for as the same laws can also be equally used against them as happened to this activist.'

She went to the farmhouse where these priests were living to "question and photograph" them.

AFAIK the powers that be are trying to discourage 'activists' from going to people's homes after a load of protestors showed up outside Donnelly and Varadkar's houses last year.

I think your wider point is correct. "Ultra-conservatives", Catholics, Mormons, anti-vaccines, Muslims etc. can launch complaints too, either genuine or nuisance complaints, and who now is in a position to tell them to just grow a thick skin?

Yeah you're right there,it could be a free for all and turn it into chaos.

Maybe the system would like that, keep them all fighting and dividend so they won't be pissed off with the machine that's running from the top.

Because while they're at logger heads, they'll never join together and suss us out.

A tactic that's been used for thousands of years....

Oh FFS.

Hyperbole much?

Lets take a few of the oh wont someone think of the children shrieking moments from this post.

We may have come a long way technically, but some people are still behaving like they did back in the salem witch trials.

Can you give me on example from Ireland that is similar to the Salem witch trials

Has anyone for example been pressed to death yet?

When you tare out a person's tongue you're not proving them a liar, you're just telling the world you fear what they could potentially say

I assume you mean tear not tare. Name one case of a tongue being torn out in Ireland in recent times. Not even related to this topic but any single incident in the last 100 years of a tongue being torn out as punishment?

Comedy is another thing that's being attacked by lunatics.

Well I'm laughing at your post but I'm not sure if you meant it as comedy.

You'll probably notice that these lunatics who like to cancel thing's aren't funny nor are they attractive to listen to, look at or do they fit in with society in general.

Show me a social justice warrior who's easy on the eye, healthy looking or has potential to add anything to their lives.

I have pity on them, they're like religious or ignorant people of long ago. Deluded

Ah the usual when you cant debate the issue resort to insulting peoples appearance. How desperate you must be to try and cause insult and get an angry post in reply.

But really what a stupid thing to say. All people I don't agree with look like this, aint I right boys, boys boys, eh all those people we disagree with are ugly. I would genuinely expect a better level of discourse from my four year old daughter.

In summation this post is childish I really hope this isn't your best effort B2TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,000 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So when I asked you to be specific you completely ignored it and just continue with the unfounded general scare mongering.

I mean is there much point asking a follow up question and will it just be more of the predictable same.

This legislation is terrifying - Which Part? - I don't really know.

😂

Yes and the, uh, "alliance" between LGBTQ and Islam is now breaking down in Michigan apparently. Who could have seen that coming?

Britain too:

"Weeks of protests wracked Birmingham when local schools sought to teach “LBGT-inclusive content” to young students. At one point, LGBT campaigners and their children were pelted with eggs by protesters, and about half the school’s students were voluntarily withdrawn from classes by parents."

You're definitely taking it to the extreme, you're the type of person I'm posting about.

You go all out about death and the punishments that were horrific during the witch trials. Forgetting that it was people's hysterical lies that lead to carnage.

This is what I'm posting about Robbie. People like yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Do me a fvaour, please and STOP refering to social justice warriots as "liberal" - they are NOT liberal!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Well they are unattractive and wrecked looking, call a spade a spade Robbie.

We're all entitled to look at something and appreciate how well it's looked after. If it's unattractive it's unattractive. No point in saying anything different.

And a lot of people who are social justice warriors aren't exactly what you'd put as a sculpture on the town square. Instead they tear down people's art, throw stuff at painting's etc

They take their resentments out on inanimate objects FFS, it's insane if you ask me.

Ultimately it stems from insecurity.

When faced with the reality that the Earth wasn't the centre of the world, the Catholic Church sought to censor the idea - as well as the people propagating that idea. Facts are considered a convenience only when they align with the ideology. When they contradict that ideology, the facts can be swept aside, and the people punished and censored for spreading "misinformation" in the cause of the greater good. That's because the Catholic Church knew perfectly well that the science contradicted their worldview.

But if you're insecure about your own position - that you know it glides on very thin ice - you'll almost naturally want to stem the flow of information that proves you wrong. Especially if the idea makes you feel better. Deep down, they know perfectly well that their ideas are very probably wrong. But if you can silence all dissent, it means the idea is not only not subject to criticism but that it must also be silently accepted by everyone else. Their party can go on.

That's why comparisons to puritans, the Salem witch trials etc. are spot on.

The history might not be the same, but the core underlying problem surely does - namely, a small number of people trying to manipulate information for the masses in the name of a moral greater good. And anyone who disagrees is "hateful" and must be censored. The strategy is the same.

Insecurity fuels the whole lot, completely.

I have no idea what you are on about or what point you are trying to make.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Do you support intimidation and harassment outside peoples homes?

Terry Pratchet

No

The intimidation and harassment outside the homes of Varadkar, Donnelly and Harris was disgusting.

Terry Pratchet

I agree.

I'm just pointing out that you cannot intimidate and harass right-wing baddies like ultra-Catholic priests anymore than you can do it to someone who is "good".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It’s quite possible that this is just another example of “ gesture politics “ and Helen McEntee sure loves gesture politics

a sop to media, NGO sector and the tiny ( but very vocal) SJW segment of the population who see this kind of thing as another battle won in their Vietnam or WW2 , I’m sure the AGS top brass have told the government that enforcing it in any credible way is impossible

• Advertisement

Advertisement