Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

I did and you said the following.

"A funded trip around Europe all at the expense of paddy the taxpayer."

See you said funded right there second word in.

"Be sure not to forget to add in any funded holiday we received at that time we were in Aus to errr the cook islands, or perhaps Rarotonga"

See you said funded again but ten words in this time.

Just two quotes from you there where you contradict yourself quite badly, you are trying to change the narrative when it was pointed out to you that your child was getting a free trip too.

You paid a nominal fee for your sons education but its being heavily subitized by the state, the hope is that he will get a well paying job after and will be able to contribute to the education of others through his taxes just like we all contributed to his now. It appears you just don't like anybody else getting more that you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

“Does allowing Ukrainian kids, that are in the country a wet week, into college places mean that kids born, bred, educated here and more often than not the children of taxpayers of this country lose places?”

Are there any statistics for this? Google shows only 500 queries for third level education. Cannot find any figures for Irish students being denied places because of Ukrainian refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Yonce

It is funded by the taxpayer.

We didn't receive funded trips around Australia when we were immigrants.

My son did pay a fees you have no idea what course so you have little knowledge how much, we don't get susi, if it's subsidised then he is within every right being a tax payer citizen. The Ukrainians who never did and the majority never will pay a rent cent of tax shouldn't not be fairing better than the citizens, how is that a case of me wanting more. If I wanted more I'd go on the dole, it's about a fair system where the 'refugees' are means tested and treated like us ejits.

My child isn't getting a free trip, fees must have been paid before they were allowed go, but here we are the Ukrainians don't pay fees, so a fully funded free trip around Europe it is.

You'll never find those stats, hidden nicely away where the asylum seekers who commit crimes file is

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

We really need to start scrutinizing our decision makers better and not be blaming refugees fleeing war.

At the end of the day the Govt have form for handing big contracts to their mates who were thick enough to build hotels in Ballygobackwards. Or were they thick!?

There's a slant towards refugees, it's not their fault the Govt have invited them. That's were the focus of anger should be. We have taken far too many and do not have the infrastructure to match it.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Some here may remember late 2015, when the Swedish deputy Prime Minister tearfully and VERY reluctantly announced Sweden was full, in front of TV cameras and media.

This was following Merkel's open ended "invitation" to the population of Syria to come to Europe.

We will eventually reach that point here if things continue indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah yes, the usual lets see the stats, the memorandums, the name and addresses, etc. 🙄

I am taking the minister of finance at his word.

I know trusting a politician's word.

But then again he was braying how great things were, as he saw this a plus and not a negative I presume he was talking with knowledge of some facts.

I see you live in a world like "Men at Work" who came "from the land of plenty".

No matter how many are added to those taking, no one ever loses out.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Very funny how the direct provision crowd has gone a bit quieter.

Is it only me or has the moaning and complaining by the usual snow flakes and NGOs gone very quiet.

God only knows how many Doctors and Engineers are getting in with the spotlight on Ukrainians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

I listened to that "interview" with Pascal and Kenny today. It was like a party political broadcast for the FG party. Kenny was only short of getting down on his knees and unzipping Pascals jocks at one stage.

We are incredibly devoid of proper unbiased quality journalism in this country and it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Seems to me the major parties are delighted to see the gutter class rise up and make themselves a nuisance. Low hanging and ripe fruit for when they need a boost in popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

They have to spend taxpayers money on something since they've no rent, utilities, food, transport, educational, childcare, or medical bills.

Unlike the rest of us.

история о лохматой собаке

• Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

But you posted the link which stated your sons trip was fully funded and had a go at the poor Ukrainians for getting the trip for free. You are trying to paint the Ukrainians in a negative light using misinformation. You would think from your posts you are the only one in the country that pays taxes and should be consulted every time state needs to spend a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I'd say the people living in hotels since March, receiving meals etc have saved somewhere from 5 to 7 grand.

I genuinely think that our crowd is praying another Member State with a bit of sense else says that they can't accommodate any more arrivals so then they can do it too without losing face

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

So your contention is, that since February/March of this year, over a dozen Ukrainian women moved to Ireland, signed up for a third level degree (presumably Spanish), and by October (probably September) they were immediately on their Erasmus year in Spain constituting over half of the class?

Yonce, I'll put it to you as nicely as I can, everyone reading this knows you're talking sh*te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I think it all fell down with the assumption that Ukrainians being white the issue would not arise. Failed notion most people could not care less about the colour just the actual ability to support, house, school. The colour of people matters not a jot when you cant get a school place or collage or dental/doctor appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

True, true, but at least unique to this vs. other refugee migrations we've dispensed with most of the gutter comments that indeed regard race. So finally the non-racist NIMBYs have a chance to prove themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Maybe true But I have always seen it as competition for resources. Simple human nature. You don't see the NGO's campaign in the Congo for example of why none Africans are not being taken in. Simply as they would just laugh in your face. It's a very white western issue. If there was a war in Ireland not with the UK I would go to the UK first. If they were full then I would go to France and work from there.

Where is this? If you live anywhere in Dublin now, it is multi cultural and mixed. The opposition to refugee accommodation is similar to opposition to social housing. It's based on a fear (or reality) that many of those coming to live into the said accom will be unemployed, that they won't care for their property and their area and crime will increase.

Nothing to do with race. You could argue it's a classist thing but race not so much.

Well it was "you're Pro Putin" for a while at the beginning.

That's been dropped as they realised most of Ireland must be Pro Putin so they sounded ridiculous saying that.

So they've moved to the race card now.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

But as an immigrant, did you choose to go to Australia ? People who are having to flee from their homeland due to war is not in the same criteria. Some potentially have already witnessed dreadful war acts, a nice to treat kids. Saying that, if companies want to donate to help fund trips for all kids, to mix and get to know each other at school (paid for all) that that's a lovely idea. Otherwise, funding does need to be from parent, who should be allowed to work so many hours at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Yes they will have enough money saved to buy houses when they get back home.

While the Irish young generation will have to emigrate to buy a house, probably emigrate to find a house to rent.

Most posters here who are cheering this on have talked about being retired or near retirement so this has no affect on them.

People who are trying to find accommodation for college, accommodation to move close to a new job, find a place to rent or buy a house are not going to cheer this on.

The parents and grandparents of these kids will also not cheer this on once their kids are in the situation.

It's only going to get worse and resentment will be taken out on immigrants when it should be at the government.

We should support as many genuine people coming here as we can but we are letting anybody come in when we can't support them.

People say they care for them but they are cheering on policy which will have people coming here sleeping in tents or on the street during the winter where they could be housed in countries not in a housing crisis.

When a right wing government gets into power in a few years, it will be caused by the left who want to be seen to be doing the right thing when knowing deep down what is happening is unsustainable but won't admit it.

Sure remember when Donegal man Kevin Sharkey stuck his head above the parapet and said the state should be looking after it's own rather than asylum seekers.

Sure the right on types didn't know what to say as they were afraid to throw the racist card at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Pretty sure is was called out for his racist bullshít at the time, why wouldn't he be out of interest?

• Advertisement

Excuse me please spell out the racist comments ?

Here are some of his comments ...

His rhetoric is challenging. He told The Ray D’Arcy Show on RTE last weekend, "If we don't protect our future, if we don't protect what we have, what has made us Irish, we won't be Irish in 200 years (see full interview below).

"I'm not against immigration. Look at Australia. They have a beautiful system there. If you are contributing, if you have a trade that we need and you can support yourself you are welcome.

"We should have an honest, open dialogue about it without being shut down and called racist.”

'Ireland is being repopulated and it doesn't seem to matter to the powers that be who is coming' - Kevin Sharkey calls for 'open dialogue' on immigration

And what do you do immediately, but call it racist bullsh**.

You are nothing, but entirely predicable.

BTW this line

"If we don't protect our future, if we don't protect what we have, what has made us Irish, we won't be Irish in 200 years (see full interview below).

Could this line not be applied to every GAA member who wants to protect our national games, every member of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann dedicated to the promotion of the music, song, dance and the language of Ireland.

Are they all racists as well according to you?

Advertisement