Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time waits for no one

Options
  • 26-09-2022 8:12am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it has finally happened, age has caught me. I am 10% heavier than this time last year. I now have elevated blood pressure. My eyesight is no longer perfect. Vitamin D deficiency and chronic tiredness. I feel like Rocky Balboa in his last movie. You can't beat time.

I became lazy and detached from cycling over the last year, I turned up to races but was never fully engaged, placed in one of my first races and then struggled to even finish one for the rest of the year. The final blow to my ego came when I seen pictures of myself looking like the Pillsbury Doughboy at the Leinster Crit champs.

I'm going to try from today to eat better and train properly. Giving myself a target of minimum 2% weight loss per month until I am back to normal. A target of end November for a return to normality on the BP before I consider medication.

Doing a VO2 max test later in the week as a baseline for fitness as well.

I'll wait until the calendar is out for next year's targets, for the winter I'll partake but not be competitive in the Leinster league of CX.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Done a VO2 max test, currently sitting at 45.5ml/kg/min which I suppose isn't bad for my age but doesn't seem to transfer to speed on the bike. Also got a cardio work up and thats all looking good, BP is actually high though so not sure how to square that circle.

Down 2kg but nothing else is shedding, so far I have missed every CX race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

2kg is great going. Specially this time of year when Mother Nature is screaming at bi and quadrupeds to gain weight.

What's your goal weight loss?

Looking at 8kg total would make me happy. You are right about this time of year, the urge to graze and snack is strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Age is a killer, shifting weight when over 40 (me) is so difficult.

Will follow here to see how you get on, best of luck.

• Advertisement

Its been getting harder to shift the last 5 years maybe but this year was the first where it was so difficult I just gave up. Hoping a stricter regime in the new year without the ballooning over winter will set me back on track but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

give up alcohol - just wasted calories

stop buying bread and biscuits

make your own soup

Well the training and weoght loss will be on hold for the next fortnight. Ended up down 3kg but I got a bad chest infection this week, couldn't get a doctors appointment and ended up not going into work. Finally over it and ended up with my knee popping out this morning so I imagine all that work is about to fall apart. Best case scenario I can eat alot less for the next two weeks but I doubt that is realistic.

So I done an FTP test earlier in the week and am sitting at 3.4W/kg.

I'll be honest, I am even more disinterested in racing than before. Hoping my mojo comes back soon as I feel a bit pathetic and unmotivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

You’ll be fine at that just try be clever 😂.

• Advertisement

Ha, my biggest issue in any race is my inability to have manners and constantly attack, recover, attack, recover. sometimes it works but I just can't have manners. This said, my top end sprint power seems to have completely disappeared this year, no idea why, so the constant attacking maybe my only hope.

Races planned for this year:

Dublin Wheelers 4th March

Bobby Power Memorial 17th March

Gorey 3 day 8/9/10th April

Ken Duff Memorial 7th May

Intervarsity Champs 17th June

Roche GP 21st June

A3 national champs

Lucan GP 26th August

I am also hoping that I figure out if and when the Wexford County Champs (hill and road). Missed the hill climb last yearand would loved to have done it.

Alas with work and life in general, this willk be the most I'll get to but it will be a lot more than last year, not sure why, can't even remember getting to any race bar the National champs.

Not a great start to the season to be honest, although the Newbridge GP was a rude awakening and may have woken me up in regards how far off the pace I am so it has given me more focus.

Dublin Wheelers 4th March - DNS, lift fell through and I had no back up

Newbridge GP - DNF, wasn't on the plan but glad I went. Started off and the first 2 km averaged 55kmph with a high of 72kmph and I wasn't even on someones wheel. Started trying to bridge over to the first breakaway attempt but it was silly season stuff. The bunch was at +55kmph, we had already dropped 30 riders in the first minute, so I ended up in no mans land for about a minute before my brain kicked in and I slowed up. Bunch caught up with me but the speed differential was immense, I barely caught the back of the 100 strong who were still racing. Then it started breaking apart leading to one or two jumps between groups but just as I caught the tail end fo the front, the pace lifted back and my legs just said no. I was just off the back as we turned into Boston Hill. The Moto moved between me and the bunch and then the Comms did half way up and I didn't even have the legs to grab any of the bumpers. Sat up and rode in the lap with a few dropped compatriots. They went on for another lap, I went home before my ego got too badly damaged.

Bobby Power Memorial 17th March -Not going to make this one now unfortunately as I am a bit under the weather

Gorey 3 day 8/9/10th April - Dear lord I will be starting Gorey with only 1 lap of a race under my belt

Ken Duff Memorial 7th May

Intervarsity Champs 17th June

Roche GP 21st June

A3 national champs - apparently these are cancelled

Lucan GP 26th August

Surprise race 16th September

Advertisement