Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox Game Pass

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Very strange. Nintendo were the blocker on getting this released years ago, I wonder if this is the price that MS had to pay to get it released at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is it even a good game?

Like would it hold up today to modern shooters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was just about to ask, is it a modern remake or fancier old edition? Because yeah, it was a great game at the time, but it looks fugly now.

Edit: looks like an upscale with modern control support. Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,067 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Art of Rally is good fun to play.

I found it quite tough, especially the longer stages.

You Suck At Parking seems like a laugh. Only played the campaign missions so far, I'd say MP is crazy and probably not in a good way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Anyone play tunic? I'm a bit late to the party on it, but its pretty good, if not a fair bit tougher than I was expecting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, it's good, quite tough at times all right. Had to cheese a boss or two. Being honest, I needed a guide for some of the more obscure puzzles, but that just made me appreciate the design more, there's just no way I was going to figure out the golden path one on my own.

Nevermind that, Metal Hellsinger is out today! Have it ready for a go, but may not be able to play it properly until the weekend (me thinks headphones will be better). Also, The Outer Wilds got the PS5/XS update today, free for anyone who already bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Looking forward to your thoughts on MH. Been watching its progress for a while.

• Advertisement

Headphones will = latency I reckon from my hour or so with it though it can be calibrated. It's a Doom knock off lets not pretend otherwise here but for the hour or so I spent tapping my foot and nodding to keep time I had fun with it. I beat the first boss and aced one of the torments. However I had to replay the level as I ran out of revives (you get 3) on my first run but blasted through it on my second attempt on Lamb difficulty which was challenging enough starting out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Just finished up 1,000G on this, about an hour before it's due to leave GP, but what a great little game! Full of emotions I am now!! 😊

Really enjoyed it.... once I turned on the accessibility features to make gameplay easy. There was enough to it with the world and puzzles without the need for the difficulty I felt and a nice touch they added an option to accommodate for that. The guidebook was genius and I'd love a physical copy of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

I let my game pass lapse last March/April and just resumed last week. I don't think I've switched my Series S on since then, nothing to do with console really I just have so many different ways to play games and go in phases using them.

The amount of games I can no longer play on game pass now though...I usually go for indie/roguelite games and there was an abundance of them before, not sure why they've all gone. I assumed Microsoft had done a deal with the smaller publishers and that they'd always be there. Had to uninstall Luna Nights, Lumines, Gonner 2, Katana Zero, Cyber Shadow, Xenocrisis, Guacamelee!2, SoR4 and Hades 😥

I was planning on this being my indie machine tbh, at a bit of a loss now. Funny thing this Game Pass, depending on when you subscribe you could have a completely different experience to someone else.

Still feel the Series S is a terribly under utilised machine as well. If Nintendo had the hardware, or maybe Valve running Steam OS, I think it could be doing great things. So much to like about it, nice and small, completely silent, flies around the software and plenty good graphics for quick and basic gaming imo. If someone could put half-decent desktop pc components into its form-factor I'd be all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I was loving this until the first boss which hammered me.

Might go back if I have time and turn down the difficulty.

Ok, so, I like it. The music is good, it looks pretty good, the movement is responsive, weapons so far are fun, and the story is thin but there is one there to keep you spurred along. The only problem I'm having is the timing. I set up the test but it's completely off in game and having them both set to 0 is nearly better, but still off. I spent an age trying to get it right, but as soon as the song/level changes with a different tempo, I feel like I'm back to square one.

Now, I don't know if it's just me and my aging timing, or is it the Xbox controller, because I really dislike the feel of the RT when playing this. Too much resistance maybe, not sure. I've only 4 levels left to beat (that I'm aware of), and I've done the challenges for each level complete so far, all on Lamb. I feel with my accuracy at the moment, whatever the cause, I won't get far in the higher difficulties.

Still, it's different, and when the on-screen madness matches right with the music, it has some amazing moments. I'd wager there will be some amazing videos of people nailing the levels with non-stop rhythm action. Not sure if I'll struggle on here, or wait for the PS+ inclusion.

I'm on the 2nd to last level/boss and the timing gimmick wore thin a long time ago. The music is great but the gimmick isn't enough to carry a game of it imo. It's very repetitive in terms of enemies and how levels play out and to be honest I'd nearly prefer it was an on rails game.

I will do, I do find the timing at times getting in the way of a good ole fashioned murderathon, but I have to remind myself it's a rhythm game. Shame to hear it doesn't hold out, but I suppose it's limited. Will see how I get on.

Started Deathloop and it is good so far. Well worth the download.

Started it myself (but on PS5 and I can already "feel" the difference), and yeah, it's well made by the looks of it, and it's interesting enough, but the repetition of the areas may dull my progress, as it usually does with these loop type games. Thankfully, if you want to go all out, the affected area (so far) is limited so you can blast through a certain area and stealth away afterwards.

• Advertisement

I died twice in two levels so far. But luckily you get three lives which I was careful about when I was on my last but the levels so far aren't too big well parts of the level I was in and was near the end of the level and each time and I just had to make it back to the tunnels.

I was foolish for a few of those deaths. One a turrent got me and another I was messing about with this laser gun thing and got killed by that. And another death I was in a massive shoot out and people just kept coming and ran out of bullets for my favourite gun so had to switch to a worse gun.

Also afaik it is made by the same guys that made dishonoured and you can see it in the art style of the characters and style of the levels.

With the reports of it crashing, I'm gonna leave it a while, mainly because Hardspace Shipbreaker is out today! I am excite.

Right, loving Hardspace. I'm playing on the no time/oxygen mode because 15 min days seems excessively short and I read that even with full O2 upgrades you'll be renewing once a day. I wanted a more relaxed game anyway so suits me fine.

Still early days, learning new stuff. It's zen like at times, and is giving me Powerwash Sim levels of satisfaction. But it's not all plain sailing.

Inbetween the moments of serenity and dismantling, there are moments of panic and oops. I can still die, and mess up big time. At one point I found myself being pulled into the incinerator, prompting crazy flailing to grapple onto something in the opposite direction, and just about managed to pull myself out of it, danger music creshendoing. Only to elastic band myself towards the opposite processor and perform the same panic actions again. Coupled with slight mistakes causing explosions, it keeps you on your toes.

One upgrade I've avoided, and I'd recommend others to, is the Audio Resynth. It replaces the dull space sounds with fake versions as if there wasn't a vacuum. I reckon that could ruin it.

Anyway, recommend it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

@Potential-Monke , good shout on Shipbreaker, I'd forgotten that was coming out, and I've heard good things about it, apparently theres a very good story to it as well.

A quick tip for Hellsinger - much like playing an actual instrument, it gets a lot easier if you can nod your head or tap your foot along to the beat, if you set yourself up at the intro to each section when the arrows are pulsing, it helps a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Can't recommend Chivalry 2 enough, I'd never heard of it until a friend mentioned it's like a medieval Battlefield. The combat is amazing and hilarious at the same time - screaming all the way down a hill only to get shanked by the first person you run in to, one on one fighting a man missing an arm and leg (the gore is very nice 😂).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I haven't played it, but whenever I see any game that involves medieval battle I only think of this:

Chivalry is a great game, but it also suffers from the fact that you will go up against people who play it religiously and wipe the floor with you. But, it's an amazing feeling if you go on a long life kill streak. And full of random moments. Will never not be amazing when someone takes out the person you're fighting with a ballista.

Scorn isn't great, is it? Really not sure what all the hype was about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

It's all puzzle game. Not my cuppa either . Uninstalled and downloaded the Dyson sphere program

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Plague Tale sequel out tomorrow, loved the first game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Been playing a good bit of Hitman recently, found myself spending so much time looking for the most elaborate ways to kill someone

Started Plague Tale the other night, it's grand but I'm finding it painfully slow and I'm on chapter 9 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Anyone setting up a Xbox family account , would interested in joining

Gave that new 505 game on GP a go, a first person FPS roguelite apparantly. I was getting motion sickness from it so had to turn it off. Not sure what was causing it, but it felt "not 60fps" to me. Gunfire Reborn is the name. Maybe it was just me. I'll give it another go over the weekend. And Phil says GP is profitable but probably won't get much bigger as a percentage of overall revenue:

“Game Pass as an overall part of our content and services revenue is probably 15 percent,” says Spencer. “I don’t think it gets bigger than that. I think the overall revenue grows so 15 percent of a bigger number, but we don’t have this future where I think 50–70 percent of our revenue comes from subscriptions.”

Honestly expected it to be a bigger slice. Wonder what the other 85% is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It looks nice but I found the 30fps a bit off putting after getting used to playing solely 60fps as of late. Also the kids voice acting is just kind of annoying, not sure I want to spend an entire game listening to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭recyclops

Stop playing a plague tale to give signalis a bash. Played it for a fair few hours there feeling liking it. Old school survival horror my only complaint is I feel a tad overpowered but I've a feeling that will come to a very quick end and il have no ammo left eeekk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Finished up the forgotten city today before it leaves gamepass. Really enjoyed it, probably took just over 5 hours in the end. Nice and contained and the city has a decent bit of depth to it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Silly question probably, but I always meant to ask - How do you know if its 30 or 60fps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭djan

If you can't tell count yourself lucky and keep it at 30fps. Being used to 144 or at the very least 60fps on PC, the 30fps looks like a sideshow to me. Some people are much more sensitive to it than others.

• Advertisement

You notice it more once you get used to 60 FPS and it's especially noticeable on an OLED TV.

In a 3D game rotate the scene around a character. There is a distinct lag between the user input and the screen rotating. Also, yiu may see blurring or worse.

Some games are worse than others. Fenyx Rising is awful in 30 FPS for me on OLED. Terrible input lag and blurry screen. by contrast, it's lovely and smooth and very responsive in 60 FPS.

30 FPS on OLED on certain games is so bad for me, it makes me queasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Game pass update 1 for the month. Return to Monkey Island going up on PC, Xbox and cloud next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Delighted to see this, I was holding off buying monkey island for this reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah as others have said, once you know you know. Even 12 months ago I'd have said I don't care about framerate at all, but once you get used to 60fps and start noticing the difference it's very hard to go back to 30.

Just finished the main game in AC Origins. Great game. I enjoyed it a lot. Way, way better than Odyssey, much shorter and less grindy too. After Odyssey I said I'd never put myself through a game like that again, but Origins sucked me right in and I flew through it.

Won't be big news to many 😂 but it's a game I'm looking forward to so hope it's true. The gameplay is aiming to be like the great AKI wrestling games on N64 (Revenge, WrestleMania 2000 and No Mercy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭Treppen

Payday 2 was a bit of a blast with pumping techno and bank heists etc. Not easy either.

Really looking forward to a few of these games especially Starfield, Lies of P, Atomic heart, Wo Long, Forza and Silksong.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭Treppen

Silksong is like Schroedinger's Cat, it may or may not come out on a particular console in April 2023. I really don't get the delay, the game design is as basic as donkey Kong.

Redfall has done nothing for me so far I have to say, probably because it's more geared towards MP. Even if it can be played properly all the way through in single player, it still isn't interesting me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement