Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

First the Swedes and now the UK:

UK’s Sunak Demotes Climate Ministers, Opts Out of COP27 Summit

Decision raises questions about climate change commitment

Sunak restored fracking ban but has dismissed onshore wind

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-27/uk-s-sunak-demotes-climate-ministers-opts-out-of-cop27-summit?srnd=premium-europe&leadSource=uverify%20wall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Uk seems to be going nuclear. And progressing on fusion. I know I know 50 years off.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Yes i know. As i recall Greenpeace got their real shot in the arm in the early 70s. I could be wrong but most nuclear facilities were built in the 60s early 70s. After the hype of the disaster film w Jack Lemmon and 3 mile island a de facto moratorium was placed on nuclear by the west, especially after Chernabyl. I mean, everybody was against it. So was i. And nobody was fact checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭ginger22

Ah sure we will be alright so. They can send us over the nuclear electricity, that will be acceptable to the "greens" once we dont produce it ourselves.

Europe is turning: France,Sweden (and Greta T), now the UK, Germany will take longer but are facing a rapid existential crisis. I expect by february they will have turned as well. Then we can talk proper green in conjunction w oil and gas as transition fuels going nuclear..

Industry will still need fossil fuels but electricity will go nuclear.

But i think Europe needs to get behind it fast tracking procedures, investment funds, long term commitments so the private sector can jump on board and make everything more competative. Or have state companies running nuclear power plants like France. Or maybe both would be best..

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Advertisement

It's interesting that one of the founding members of Greenpeace and former head of the organisation, is an AGW sceptic and advocate of nuclear energy. He's also a biologist and scientist - Dr. Patrick Moore - and my, oh, my, do climate tards hate him with a passion.

Plenty of nuclear plants were built in the 80's. It's been in decline since 1993, roughly, but its well and truly on the move again.

One of the biggest factors in recent cost overruns and delays is that a lot of nuclear engineering expertise and skiils have been lost, so people with practical expertise in building NPP's are a bit thin on the ground, driving up costs and introducing delays, but hopefully that is in the process of being corrected. Once the first western SMR is built, and if the claims are proven, I think there will be a sea-change in attitudes to nuclear and the rate at which they will be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@cnocbui

One of the biggest factors in recent cost overruns and delays is that a lot of nuclear engineering expertise and skiils have been lost, so people with practical expertise in building NPP's are a bit thin on the ground, driving up costs and introducing delays, but hopefully that is in the process of being corrected. Once the first western SMR is built, and if the claims are proven, I think there will be a sea-change in attitudes to nuclear and the rate at which they will be built.

The other problem is the nuclear industry by and large wanting to go big, so you also have the issues that come with all civil engineering mega-projects. This is basically why I am in favour of SMRs rather than the likes of Hinkley Point C.

I am in favour of SMR also, but the South Koreans are really on a roll with building large reactors also. They have built them in as little as 4 years, but in the UAE the first took 8 - which is still less than half the 20 year plus timframe the boof-heads claim is the norm. Between 2001 - 2005, the average construction time for reactors was 5 years. It takes 3 years to build an offshore wind farm that lasts less than half as long.

I have uncovered a bit of a mystery. East Anglia One - one of the worlds largest and most recently commissioned wind farms took 3 years to build. The BBC and other news sources in the Uk keep saying offshore wind power is now the cheapest source ever, blah, blah at a strike price of just £47 mWh, yet EAO is earning £120 mWh. I find it hard to belive that new entrants are prepared to accept £47 when a wind farm completed 2 years ago and cost £9.1 billion per GW (£6.5b 700Mw) is getting 155% more.

Underneath a short excerpt copy and pasted. Sorry, couldnt link.

Top Dems Urge Biden To Nationalize Oil & Gas Industry

Calls for Biden to socialize industry have moved quickly from fringe to mainstream

MICHAEL SHELLENBERGER

OCT 28

PREVIEW

SAVE 

https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch/w_2912,c_limit,f_auto,q_auto:good,fl_progressive:steep/https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Ff2821655-490a-47f5-87b2-ea08d69ec53d_2868x1550.png There was an error displaying this embed.

Democratic U.S. Senate Candidate from Wisconsin Tom Nelson (left) and energy expert Jason Bordoff (right) are urging the Biden administration to nationalize U.S. oil and gas companies.

The energy crisis is worsening. The U.S. has fewer than 30 days of diesel and other distillate fuels, the lowest level since 1945. Supplies are so low that there will be shortages and price spikes within six months unless the U.S. enters recession, experts warn. In response, the Biden administration is releasing more oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. But the reserves are of crude oil, not refined oil products such as diesel. And the releases are stifling investment in future oil production. “People are depleting their emergency stocks,” warned Saudi Arabia’s energy minister earlier this week. “Losing emergency stocks may become painful in the months to come.”

In response, influential Democrats, including a leading U.S. Senate candidate, a former Department of Energy official, and an influential energy expert, are urging the U.S. government to socialize America’s oil and gas firms.

At a Houston conference last week, Jason Bordoff, Dean of Columbia University’s Climate School, called for the “nationalization” of oil and gas companies. “Government must take an active role in owning assets that will become stranded,” he said, “and plan to strand those assets.” By “strand” Bordoff meant “make financially worthless.” Bordoff made the point at least twice during the confrerence. Bordoff’s call shocked many in the audience. “Jason is smart, well-informed, and well-connected to the Biden Administration,” said someone who was at the conference, “so these comments are scary.”

The calls come on the heels of two other Democrat-led efforts to expand U.S. government control over oil and gas production. One is a piece of legislation called “NOPEC,” which passed the Senate Judiciary Committee in May. The bill would change U.S. antitrust law to revoke a policy of sovereign immunity, which protects OPEC+ members from lawsuits. If NOPEC became law, the U.S. attorney general could sue Saudi Arabia and other OPEC members in court. The result could be a disruption of global supplies of oil and other commodities if nations retaliated against the U.S.

The other is an effort led by Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen to cap the price of Russian oil sold on global markets, which I and many other experts have warned since June is unworkable, because China and India have said they would circumvent it, and could backfire, resulting in far higher oil prices. Last week, analysts with Rapidan Energy told the same Houston conference that the December 5 implementation of the Russian price cap could reduce global supplies of oil by 1.5 million barrels per day. Such an amount would create an oil price shock.

Earlier this month, Bordoff told the World Economic Forum, which has called for a “Great Reset” to quickly move from fossil fuels to renewables, that climate change required a “massive transition” that is “going to be messy, it’s going to be disruptive.” Said Bordoff, “I think part of the broader macro environment that's happening now is one of more disruptive change because of climate impacts, but also more disruptive change because of geopolitics coming out of the pandemic, coming out of this conflict, completely rethinking what the World Economic Forum is all about.”

Bordoff then sounded an even darker note..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sure of course, just like lithium & cobalt mining and so on for all the batteries. https://www.foreignbrief.com/africa-geopolitics/cobalt-boom-recharging-trouble-congo/

As long as it's far, far away from our Green washed holy island - that's grand. Nice clean batteries my arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Tippman24

I see the Green Lord Mayor of Dublin has decided off her own batt that there will be no crib at the Mansion House this year.

Yes.i had been following Moore. I have a book of his. People would be wise to scan the various points of view about the climate, climate change, climate change measures and energy policy. At the moment we are allowed only one by the West.

Thanks for the update about nuclear power plants in the 1980s. Was that in the EU? France always had a troublesome relation w Greenpeace. They destroyed the Rainbow Warrior back in the 1970s (1980's?). Mitterand

it always amuses me how environmentally conscious the pro-fossil fuel lobby become when presented with alternatives. No environmental concerns seem to exist for the extraction, refining, transportation and consumption of fossil fuels though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I forget which NPP it was but I think the record was 3.5 years in Japan. Think it was a site with 6 single-reactor self-contained units that were built consecutively (probably by the same people as well) and the record was Unit 5.

There are no viable alternatives, the basic problem you and the Gretards can't seem to ever comprehend.

Wind turbine masts are made from chinese steel, shipped to the EU on ships made of steel, using engines powered by bunker oil, and all that steel is made from iron ore mined in Australia using diesel powered equipment, shipped via diesel powered trains in many instances, and loaded onto bulk Iron ore carriers, that are made of steel and powered by engines made of steel burning bunker oil to get the iron ore to China, where vast amounts of infrastructure made from steel, offload the iron ore and get it to steel mills using diesel, which then use coal to make the steel from energy produced by burning coal, that was shipped to China from Australia in ships made of steel using engines made of steel powered by fossil fuel, which was mined using diesel, transported using diesel...

The blades of the turbines are mede from resins like vinyl ester or epoxy, the latter of which is made from ethylene gas which is made by refining crude oil, which is shipped in tankers made of steel, using engines... The blades are also made from fibre glass and carbon fibre, which are made from, and using energy...

Each offshore turbine requires 28.63 tonnes of copper, which is mined in various countries, but most comes from Chile, which is mined using... shipped using... transported using...

Without fossil fuels there wouldn't be any wind turbines for you to shag or solar panels for you to lick clean of dust. Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,456 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Are the coal and gas plants not made of the same basic raw materials? I don't understand the consternation from the tard-projectors here. This is more of the same whining and whinging that, because green tech isn't pissing minted gold bullion, it's not worth it.

Even with all these factors, the lifetime carbon footprint of the green tech is vastly smaller than the carbon tech.

As for those cargo vessels, they're reinventing them, benefiting all industries.

More bad news for the fossil fuel industries as many EU govts are pulling out of the ECT which allowed energy companies to sue govts if policies hurt their profit margins. As this was fundamentally contrary to the Paris agreement and other climate goals, a lot of EU govts decided to withdraw to allow them to proceed with climate goals and transition away from fossil fuels.

Note, there is a sunset clause which gives the fossil fuel lobby legal position for 20 years after a govt withdraws, so there may still be cases. Either way its a good move from the various govts to pull out of it, hopefully more will follow

Putin's gamble seems to be speeding up the transition to 100% renewables for a lot of EU countries with several speeding up their transition plans. Where they had been targetting 2045 or 204 or 2035, these have all brought plans forward, along with investment, to 2030 timelines

• Portugal - 100% by 2030
    • Netherlands - 97% by 2030 with a further 3% from nuclear
    • Denmark - 100% by 2030
    • Austria - 100% by 2030

More movement coming from the EU on tightening up on air pollution to bring limits closer to the WHO limits

• Advertisement

I don't have a problem with oil, or CO2, so be my guest.

But your problem with green tech is that it's too dirty? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I often have time for the Greens but this is straight out of the “you couldn’t make it up” school of right-on idiocy

There’s a secret about sails: they can be retracted and extended. No negative drag to worry about.

“The hard sail automatically extends, shrinks and rotates depending on wind speed, wind direction and strain on the base. Sensors on the base and at the top detect wind conditions.”

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Heard the Lord Mayor on Newstalk earlier and Car Crash interview would be putting it mildly. Ciara Kelly thankfully called her out on the bullsh1t decision.

That is the sail fully retracted. It will cause some aerodynamic drag. But this is a minor issue, the main one is that its all for optics.

Back in the day of sail power, with clipper ships plying their trade between England and Australia, as well as India and other places, a typical journey would take 100 days with ships a fraction of the size and weight of todays beheamoths. This idea of sail powered shipping in modern times is nonsense. The urgency of moving cargos like food is significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Like Junior Minister Ossian Smyth, Caroline Conroy is attempting to play the old political game of distract now that their retrofit scheme is falling apart and the cost of their madcap renewables plans are becoming obvious as to how economically unfeasible they are.

The greens being the greens though rather than distract, have only managed to further show how inept and out of touch they are.

“Optics” and a 10% improvement in fuel economy.

the ships will not be entirely sail powered no. Every bit saved is trillions of barrels over the long run zero sum game of having a finite amount of oil in existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Netherlands can't get there except by a massive wave of de-industrialisation. No Industry, No Agriculture, No Jobs, No Life. I think the NetZero madness will disappear when we have a cold winter with blackouts, and with death for people who cannot keep warm or feed themselves.

Steel, aluminum, chemicals: There are so many things that need cost effective energy. Do the great and the good not realise they are not only putting core industries at risk but directly ensuring imports will result that will come from countries with vast amounts of coal to burn and do not worry about supposed consequences. You have to exchange something of value. Which leads to the question how you are going to pay for imports when your high value products are not produced? These businesses will wind up being owned by Chinese or US companies. Not only that, the intellectual capital and know how to operate them will disappear from the likes of Germany.

BASF to downsize ‘permanently’ in Europe (sub required)

BASF, which produces products from basic petrochemicals to fertilisers and glues, spent €2.2bn more on natural gas at its European sites in the first nine months of 2022, compared with the same period last year.

Brudermüller said the European gas crisis, coupled with stricter industry regulations in the EU, was forcing the company to cut costs in the region “as quickly as possible and also permanently”.

The company announced two weeks ago that it would reduce costs by €1bn over the next two years, targeting mainly “non-production areas” such as IT, communications as well as research and development.

It's not just the continent, Ireland is affected by lack of energy, and hopium is not going to do the job to bring costs down.

Intel executive urges State to tackle energy costs (sub required)

A top executive at Intel, one of the largest multinational employers in the Republic, has urged the Government to look at ways of tackling soaring energy costs in order for the State to remain competitive in the international hunt for foreign investment.

Speaking to The Irish Times at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Intel’s chief operations officer and head of manufacturing, Keyvan Esfarjani said that the US chipmaking giant has seen its energy costs in Ireland, currently its main European manufacturing base, rise sharply at a time when power inflation remains more muted in the group’s home market.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Advertisement