Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

On #2, the correct thing to do would be to get the system to clear its learned data and start again from scratch, and learn the new environment. Right now, there is such a strong rule that says “M8 south requires greater access to tunnel in the morning” that it’s starving the other paths of access. I also have a suspicion that construction work may have removed or interfered with the queue measurement sensors/cameras, so the lights could be operating wholly on trained behaviour.

Doing that reset is outside of the power of the builders. It needs to be done by whoever works for Cork City Council to manage the traffic lights. But if the queue estimation part of the system is missing on some of the approaches, there is zero that can be done apart from manually setting weights to each approach for different times of the day.

Either way, when it comes to the lights, the ball is with Cork City Council.

(On #1 there has progress in constructing the new slip, but it’s much slower than expected, and they should have communicated better)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

On #1 they also lied in the weekly newsletter a few weeks back saying they'd have crews working over the weekend to help get the lane re-opened as soon as possible.

Why even lie about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I also reckon the sensors are not working yep.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

My experience with traffic light sequencing over the past few years (especially since Covid started) is that sequences are horrific in general. Many of them even causing serious jams being left as they are for long periods of time (N71 at Bandon Road, N27 at Bull McCabes are 2 prime examples). It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see issues at Dunkettle with light sequencing take unnecessarily long to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

One thing I’ve noticed is that sequences in Dublin are longer than in Cork. In Cork you don’t get many cars through on a single sequences.

Less changes of lights reduces time wasted when no cars can go through interchanges due to safety concerns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

In Dublin anyway they adjusted light sequences to give pedestrians more green time - so they could socially distance at crossings. But they hasn't changed back yet, and probably won't now.

They are doing some work with a cherry picker on the lights at the moment, not sure what though.

My knowledge of the inner workings of traffic lights isn't great.

Unless they’re installing / updating sensors the physical work on the lights isn’t the issue. It’s the programming, which isn’t done at the road side.

They should have loads of data for that junction.

The traffic lights have sensors but so does TII’s signage system for those new timing signs.

There’s very sophisticated APNR approach used to track cars though the N40 and all of the approach roads to the tunnel.

It takes a sample of reg. numbers and tracks them though the cameras and that generates the journey times for the signage.

Between that and SCOOT/UTC and whatever else is on the lights, they have oodles of data.

There’s also an extensive CCTV system for looking at it with old fashioned human eyes.

You would struggle to find a junction with more systems monitoring flow! It shouldn’t be hard and this is fairly inexplicable if they can’t manage to tweak a very fancy traffic management system that’s already fully in place…

They know exactly how many cars are queueing, passing though and even the patterns of cars though the junction if they use the ANPR data.

Whether they have the resources to analyse it in house is another question entirely though, but they should be calling in a contractor urgently if they can’t.

As they’re all N roads, it’s an issue TII needs to sort.

That being said, during the recent flooding in Cork that closed the South Link in bound, the fancy new signage didn’t have any useful info on it. It just continued to display journey times, which to me indicates they’ve a lot of high tech toys and nobody to operate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jaffleywaffley

Tried this today, 18 mins from Carrigtwohill up through the back roads to Knockraha and on to the M8. 8 mins from getting onto the M8 to the tunnel entrance.

No traffic at all on the back roads, a small queue on the M8 where the road is reduced to one lane but got through it pretty quickly.

Only saved about five or ten mins I'd say but I'd much rather be moving than sitting in slow moving traffic!

*(Journey began at 15:38, so if I'm leaving around half 3 every evening I should be fine to go N25 to tunnel, but it's good to have another option if I have to stay later!)

Post edited by Jaffleywaffley on

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Whoever in the city council designed the Churchyard Lane/Well Road/Skehard Road junction lights when its roundabout was replaced needs to be employed for all other lights. The City Council don't seem to be the best at light sequences. The new sequencing at the N40/West Douglas Street/South Douglas Road is so bad, with cars coming from the city centre struggling to get to under the N40 and into Douglas due to the yellow box being so large. I find the Sarsfield Road Roundabout lights to be good too

• Advertisement

The lane restriction northbound from the tunnel has been reduced by around 50÷

They must have heard me bitching a few posts ago, yes that looks like it's changed as of this morning.

This weeks newsletter -

"The traffic light sequence at the Dunkettle Interchange Roundabout has been fine tuned over the last few days to best suit the new layout."

They definitely heard me bitching. To be fair it hasn't been AS bad on the N40E.

Looks like part of Link A (N40E to N25E) will open before Christmas too. More details next week but it looks for the time being that it'll be a new exit off the roundabout. That'll be great, but crash central as the lanes to get into may well change!

My prediction of link A opening and being facilitated via the roundabout seems to be coming true. This will facilitate the closing of the slip up off the roundabout to N25 east which will allow the M8 east to tunnel movement to be completed.

My previous thoughts on how link A will work temporarily before the roundabout stops being used.

It'll take some traffic light work will it, to get that N40 traffic past the N8 traffic at the West of the roundabout? I don't think I'm fully following what you're describing properly if I'm honest.

For N40N->N25E you'll come out of the tunnel, to the West of the roundabout, down a slope, under the M8, and head East from there.

But what about the Tivoli-N40S traffic? Will they cross that flow with lights and then continue onto the roundabout, with another set of lights separating them and M8 traffic (as it is now, basically)?

Or will they merge with that N40 flow exiting the tunnel, head under the M8 and then loop back and re-approach from the East to merge with the M8-N40?

Edit: I think it'll just be the lights, but just checking!

My view is that the roundabout will still be used for now for the same movements. Where you exit the roundabout will change.

1. Tunnel to N25 east. The exit off the roundabout will now come before the M8 north exit. No new set of lights will be required. Previously the N25 east exit was after the M8 north exit.
    2. The current exit from roundabout onto N25 east will be closed.
    3. The new Tivoli to Tunnel movement will open. This slip was where the previous N25 east exit was located. This will allow the old Tivoli to roundabout slip to be closed.

At some point, the big decision to close the roundabout altogether will happen. This is the biggest cutover of the project and will require a certain number of slip roads to be open. Essentially all movements which previously involved going 90 degrees clockwise around the roundabout will need to be facilitated via slip roads before the roundabout is completely removed.

Post edited by AugustusMinimus on

Thanks: it's the number 3 there that I was struggling to visualise! It goes over the top of the M8 traffic, and then drops down to join it! It WILL approach the M8 from the North East, just from above rather than from below. There's a nice bit to go before that's done I'd say: plenty of earthworks needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Can someone jump up on the pole and refocus the camera looking into the JLT? :-)

I see they’re starting to surface the new M8 east to Tunnel link road. They’ve surfaced the new bridges over the roundabout and appear to be pouring concrete on top of the new embankments formed over the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Thanks to whoever it was! "I can see clearly now the rain has gone" 😁

Great photo in this weeks email showing the new link road for Tunnel to N25 east movement. Shows how it will be temporarily accessed via the roundabout as a normal exit for now. (Middle right of picture)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Also confirms pretty much that N40N -> N25E as above and M8S -> N25E will open before the end of the month.

As stated before, that means the N25E onramp can close and complete the N8E -> N40S loop, followed thereafter by the closure of the N8E offramp.

N8E to N40S loop will take some trunking. It’ll be quite straight forward once the old slip is closed though.

EDIT: The loop will be quite tight given space available.

One more prediction. When the loop opens, the area boxed in red will likely be closed for traffic as no further movements will require to pass through this. It will be the first piece of the roundabout to be closed.

It will also remove the need for traffic lights releasing M8S traffic onto the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Wow, didn't realise that loop was so progressed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Where will the permanent route for that movement be? Would it not still be in that area?

Also, the email states multiple links opening, will that just be the 2 obvious ones (n40n to n25e and m8s to n25e) or would it include the temporary realignment for n25w to n40s...although that's not quite a full link.

The tunnel to N25E movement will still be in the area. However, the roundabout will eventually be removed with that link being a single continuous lane from the tunnel exit to where the new link is being constructed.

I think you’re right. All 3 links mentioned will open before month end.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That makes sense, so it'll be more just alignment works for that link in the future so.

Huge progress, I assume it will probably be a good while until there's more to open. Mad to think this time next year it will nearly be all done

• Advertisement

Yeah. The loop for City to Tunnel movement will basically be the final thing to put in place north of the roundabout. These new openings will improve M8 south and traffic exiting the tunnel dramatically.

Advertisement