Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David McSavage

12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I think he's great, see's it as it is and it's creativity.

If people take him personally, it's obviously they're in need of psychotherapy and counseling.

He's a comedian and that's his act, FFS if you read into his work and how he describes his satire and observations.
    He's not getting personal with anyone.

During the lockdown I found him very funny, I laugh at his metaphorical stories and anology.
    Not the people, groups etc he basis his sketches on.

As Christopher Hitchins said if you don't like it, GO **** YOURSELF

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Looking forward to the first comedian who massively rips the piss out of cancel culture. It needs to be done. For everyones' sake, jokes get lonely without a brunt.

I think Ricky Gervais is starting the momentum, no doubt the Plebs, SJWs and liberals who were all for cancel culture will be saying "I never really liked cancel culture anyhow" trying to go with the trend again.

Shower of ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

nthclare wrote: »

As Christopher Hitchins said if you don't like it, GO **** YOURSELF

Hitch also cheerled the Iraq War, acted as an apologist for mass torture at Abu Ghraib and grossly defamed Mother Teresa out of sheer spite.
    Not someone to take pointers from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Bobblehats wrote: »
    I think if anything they’re dancing in the light of bob’s pearly whites. A fantastic advert for smoking

I just hope the urban myth about reincarnating into James Cordon is lies.

Bob didn't deserve that.

I think Ricky Gervais is starting the momentum, no doubt the Plebs, SJWs and liberals who were all for cancel culture will be saying "I never really liked cancel culture anyhow" trying to go with the trend again.

Shower of ****

All true but plebs' and ****' lives matter too. Even in America.

Liberals don't matter, think about it.

All true but plebs' and ****' lives matter too. Even in America.

Liberals don't matter, think about it.

Well the liberals don't matter no fact's that's the truth of it.

I see the backlash in America at liberals and their Nazi friends Antifa is gaining momentum, no harm either.

Well the liberals don't matter no fact's that's the truth of it.

I see the backlash in America at liberals and their Nazi friends Antifa is gaining momentum, no harm either.

They should go hunger games, get it over with. Starve them and see who wins. It has become an impossible place for still life sculptors to get ahead. Tragic really.

If I lived in the states I would get a house near a river in Wyoming and dress like Clint Eastwood. There is no point living anywhere else all things considered.

All said Porkys is a better movie than American Pie.

I think Ivanka Trump is beautiful. I would cross the ocean for her alone.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    He's given a show because they know it will make money. He has a track record of big hits.
    The same goes for Chappelle.

Cancel culture won't affect them because they have already made it.

It's the comedians starting off that are vulnerable to cancel culture, because nobody will take a punt on an unknown who has Twitter piling on them because of a joke they made that offended someone somewhere.

The chilling effect this will have on comedy is obvious. In fact it's already here for years.

Anyone pointing to the likes of Gervais or Chappelle getting greenlit as evidence that cancel culture doesn't exist is talking out their hoop.

Im not suggesting for a second it doesnt exist, but there is a double standard at play here big time. Certain classic comedies are cancelled while others are left and you hit the nail on the head when it comes to money and big hits and money. Netflix, etc's wokeness boils down to this at the end of the day.

Bring back the Golly Wogs. They have rights too. Noddy was a masterpiece and an essential part of my youth.

You would have to laugh at the modern anti racist SJW's, I mean I am sure Marcus Garvey is smiling and proud from above, as is MLK and that guy with the glasses. But they really are different gravy to some millennial spoilt brat whose parents worked at the mall and lives in a 4 bed on 26th and Maine. Good luck with that. Tearing down statues because they were comprehensively educated by a system that told them their forefathers were stolen from West Africa. Big deal. Zachariah the 19 year old stooge in a facemask burns a few bins and raises hell in downtown Memphis. When I was 19 I was off my face on yokes locked in the boot of a Ford Sierra somewhere on the M25 with 2 other random people looking for a party. I didn't give 2 hoots where they were from, I taught a guy from Lahore how to French kiss I was so off my Barney. We had things to be doing. That's the biggest problem with the US, they lack imagination. Too much TV ,Pizza and blatant war propaganda movies and not enough free love and party. They need to get a grip, they are only young once the fools. Its the real thing the Bush's stole from the class of the 90's. They only knew how to launch ground to ground heat seeking phosphourous missiles at unarmed civilians in downtown Fallujah. I don't see any Iraq's bitching about it on the internet either. I hope they are having a snigger at Zachariah in Memphis however and his misspent youth. If you are reading Zachariah ditch the mask and the Molotovs and buy some drugs and a guitar just like Marvin Gaye and Bill Withers did, there is still time. Laurence Fishbourne agrees with me btw, so does Whoopi Goldberg. Louis CK is still funny even if he is a sex addict. I mean the hypocracy of it...... if he was a heroin addict they would write a book about him and get art students from Dallas to build a statue of him ( for free ).

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

There is always a man with a plastic bag standing in the middle of the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Bring back the Golly Wogs. They have rights too. Noddy was a masterpiece and an essential part of my youth.

You could bring back Noddy, maybe the whole reference as in golliwog might be lying uneasy on some sectors of society.. can we call him a wolligog ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Strumms wrote: »
    You could bring back Noddy, maybe the whole reference as in golliwog might be lying uneasy on some sectors of society.. can we call him a wolligog ?

There’s a, new enough, “version” of Noddy on Netflix. He goes around investigating things, like Noddy PI.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Strumms wrote: »

No you cannot..... and lay off Big Ears as well, he is a sensitive chappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No you cannot..... and lay off Big Ears as well, he is a sensitive chappy.

No Eig Bars ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

Saw Dave MC savage in opera house in cork last night , would say 95 % sold out . great response from crowd - brought along x2 friends who were sceptical about him but they loved him.

Dealt with a few hecklers very well, comes across as nice person ( met him in street in cork a few years ago and he was very pleasant ) and is a genuis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Hitchens recanted on waterboarding after getting waterboarded himself. Put his money where his mouth was and admitted his ethical error.

He was dead right about Mother Theresa btw. Fetishised the poor and provided substandard to unethical "treatment" to the sick and dying. Germaine Greer (paraphrasing here) put it that she was more interested in snatching the souls of dying Hindus for the Catholic faith, racked up and collected coerced deathbed baptisms as if they were Pokemon cards.

All while taking her miserable poverty roadshow around the world on private planes being feted by shady people.

She was a fundamentalist creep who thought you could pray away cancer instead of alleviating the suffering (which she had the means to do but refused).

He’s usually wise after the event. That’s my issue with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Waterboarding would be preferable to going to a McSavage gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I always found it a bit weird how McSavage is vilified on boards and other online platforms. Sure, he's a smug git, lots of comedians are. The savage eye is the best Irish skit show ever created, his stand up is also very funny.

Were responsible for exporting some of the very worst talent across the pond when it comes to comedians, Aisling Bee, Ardal O Hanlon, Ed Byrne, Jason Byrne, Andrew Maxwell etc. all at some point had regular TV appearances - and at the same time RTE have consistently put people like Des Bishop, PJ Gallagher, Meave Bloody Higgins, Alison fcking Spittle, Niel Delamare, Katherine Lynch etc etc. And most of them were even given their own tv shows while savage had a super successful TV show and was banished forever because...?

He's by no means "the worst". Look at the list above, Jesus Christ I'd rather eat my own ears than listen to any of em'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭dontmindme

The electroconvulsive therapy must really have done the trick so as he was always a very angry man previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Mixed feelings about him. Can be very funny but there's always been an undercurrent of snobbery and cruelty running through his act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Savage has a unique style and dares to be different.

Fair **** to him , some of the skits are hilarious. He isnt afraid to lampoon conservative Ireland.

Maybe he could do a decent youtube show to get his stuff out there. He probably needs a few strong collaborators to be more successful though and less repetitive and in your face all the time. Balance.

Anyway its clear hes a smart fella and cluld have done well in other professions, gotta respect him for following his own path.

As above poster said he can be very cutting but that is what you need, so many irish comedians are soft like jelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He’s just a fooking oddball. Not remotely funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The Savage Eye is one of the best things ever broadcast on RTE. Seems to be gone from the RTE Player though, is it now being disowned because someone might get offended. Still plenty of clips on YouTube though e.g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Savage Eye was brilliant. One of only a few RTE comedy productions you wouldn't be embarrassed to show people from other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Savage eye is the best comedy show RTE have produced, love stumbling upon the old clips. He was spot on with all his sketches and were proper funny.

The catholic church sketch when he's the bishops and grabbing the kid of its parents, in tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

The best one was the father and son in the art gallery, looking at a painting. Suddenly the father notices that the child is missing and appears to be trapped, crying, in the painting of the priest on the wall behind.

Advertisement