Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Coverage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

In my opinion, forget about ‘lags’ and all that.

The most important thing in the mix is the quality of the product.

People are used to HD and it’s variants and won’t pay money generally speaking for second rate product.

GAA would be very un savvy if they didn’t see this, and they are a savvy bunch by and large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Do they even have an app for televisions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

no, just for the roku box in the US

As it is now you need to cast to a chromecast or apple tv, which is fine in principle but towards the end of last season that wouldnt work for me with live streams. I think stuff from the archive did work.

Anyhow, an app would be the business all right and save all that messing. Surely its not that difficult. The only logic in there is basically a login and then a link to the live or archive stream. The website is not much more than one page/ screen, and the app would be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

What’s this bleedin muppet Kilkenny doing speaking in irish on the all stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Yes, how dare someone speak in their native language. Off to the gallows with him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Ger Gilroy put the boot in to RTE & The Sunday Game on the Hard Shoulder this evening. According to Him sky was far better as was BBC compare to rte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,533 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yet fellas from counties with actual Gaeltacht regions didn't indulge in such showmanship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Well, he's certainly an impartial commentator 😒

He might be right, but then again he has skin in the game.

That must have been awful for you, thoughts and prayers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I do think that a monopoly isn't healthy and RTE essentially have 1 now and RTE's sports coverage not just GAA has regressed in the last decade, seems to me its happened since Ryle Nugent left and Declan McBennett took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

It leaves abit of a sour taste in my mouth. When Joe Brolly is hailing it as being the best thing for the GAA then I feel its playing to an agenda. Its the Anti Brit thing again. The BBC GAA sports is going to be run by Republicans / Northerners. I dont like that as there's enough politics in the GAA as it is. The organisation should have no opinion on politics.

The second thing I'm concerned about is the actual viewing. I have GAAGO and I cast it to the TV. The picture is poor in comparison to Sky. It has a long way to go...and they ll charge alot for it. Like someone said...wheres the likes of Timmy Dooley now complaining about the pay wall. If he's not out giving out now then we know it was all populist anti Sky/Brit stuff that makes me sick

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Well said, far too much politics in the GAA.

They should try to rise up against that fcukkery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭spakman

He might be right, but he's also biased, and also a dose!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭deise man

There's a bit of a 'reds under the bed' vibe to some posts here.

Clearly, Sky and GAA couldn't come to an agreement, so rather than take it as 2 entities kit able to agree a deal (price/coverage/schedule etc), it's spun as a political conspiracy because Sky aren't Irish, or worse again 'Brits'.

Don't mention of course that the GAA has a deal in place for years with the BBC (the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation), a deal that by all accounts is bound to expand under these round of agreements.

It seems that some are very anxious to see political motivation (maybe reflecting their own bias, I dunno) rather than seeing the main motivation (€€€)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭roadmaster

What would take Technolgy wise to get GAAGo up to a standard that all viewers would be happy with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

GAA Go announced the games that will be exclusive on that platform which includes a number of the big Munster hurling round robin games (Cork v Tipp) and c.15 games from the All Ireland football championship group games including 2 football quarter finals. Will there be an outcry over all these games being behind a paywall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

>Will there be an outcry over all these games being behind a paywall?

if Donegal or Mayo get to the quarters there will be a gigantic outcry.

It is amusing how people from a couple of dozen smaller counties who cant make it in person have to make do with radio for their do or die knockout qualifier games over the years but the big counties, in particular Mayo and Donegal, not only need to have their games televised but also it must be free.

On other matters, the press release above mentions that the phone apps are being re-jigged but no mention of a TV app any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Advertisement

Dublin are on the box, Louth just happen to be playing them if we're honest about it.

RTE find it hard to provide coverage of D1 teams to be honest, let alone a D2 team that few expected to push the tip half of the table a month ago. Not defending RTÉ, they have the shows spread thin enough and are too interested in providing a vehicle for the likes of Cora and Seani to put the boot in rather than showing the actual games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

The comment from Joanne Cantwell that Ardee wasn't suitable for TV coverage was bizarre considering TG4 shown highlights a few weeks ago from the venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What was the quality of the highlights like? Camera angle etc must have been awful for RTE to not be arsed with there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Seems ok, although it really is jus a one camera set-up place

Smaller subcontract companies like Nemeton who do a lot of TG4 stuff (there are others) will make it happen.

With RTE they will need custom made platforms with leather seats and an assistant to the camera man, and an assistant to that assistant, a Health and Safety Risk Assessment, Ergonomics, a canteen... Etc.. {I'm obviously exaggerating here for effect). Then, they will need another platform to house a TV and a radio commentator, a Co commentator for each, and to keep Joanne, Cora, Sean Eamonn OH in the comfort they are accustomed to.

Where there is a will there's a way, I suspect games are being streamed and covered in worse locations than Ardee without any issues. Camera and other tech is improving leaps and bounds every year, and often smaller agile companies will just make it happen. The super-d-dooper camera weighing half a tonne that was bought through someone's brother in law back in 2010 may not be the best anymore.

As I said yesterday though, RTÉ haven't the screen time for showing these games at present, especially with the format (intro/ highlight/complain about referee or managers for 10 minutes they currently use

I don't generally watch the Sunday night highlights show, but have it on here and it's really poor IMHO.

The hurling is on, they showed highlights of both semifinals so far. Both games, they showed the highlights, then spent the same amount of time talking sh1te about the game. Then there are so many games to cover, why pad it out with the likes of this analysis. There are several radio shows and podcasts available on RTE and elsewhere if people want to hear former players talk, just show the fvckin games.

BBC 2 NI is showing 3 games in the Ulster Championship, starting with Armagh v Antrim today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00d0c9j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭howiya

On satellite BBC Two NI HD 10773 H.

https://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

• Advertisement

Thanks knew how add this on a sky box. Is there any of adding it with a Vodafone box?

Don't know, maybe someone on the Cable / IPTV forum could help. But I see the Vodafone TV thread is a zombie.

https://www.boards.ie/categories/cable-mmds-iptv

Thanks anyway. Looks to be a bit of a damp squib anyway from the scoreline. Hopefully same issue won't occur during rest of bbc games

The same issue will recur, unless you sort it out. It is not the fault of the BBC. What version of BBC One HD do you have? Look at all that there are on the link I gave.

Just out of interest, they have two new analysts this year, Michael Murphy and Philly McMahon. Oisin McConville is still there.

I appear to have two versions of BBC 2. One is advertising Porridge on the guide and is showing it. Channel 109 on Vodafone. The other is advertising the championship on the guide but showing porridge. Channel 139.

Virgin media customers also experiencing same problem per reports on twitter.

One guy is calling it scandalous. Not sure it merits that description

There are four versions of BBC Two HD. BBC Two, which until recent changes was BBC England. BBC Two Scotland, Wales and NI HD all have opt outs for sports, and other local programmes.

I have TV on satellite dish, and being near the border I also get BBC and others on the aerial. I don't know anything about TV which comes in through the internet.

If anyone is interested in knowing if their system is getting the BBC Two NI version, there are opt out programmes on Sunday 09 April from 10 pm to 11.30, about John Hume and Ian Paisley.

If you get those, but can't get the games next weekend, then it must be down to human error somewhere. Or your system is subject to some restriction agreed by the BBC and the GAA. BBC Two NI on satellite has no restriction. If people in London or Liverpool want to see the GAA games they can tune them in on satellite.

It's probably not a great place to place cameras and stuff, but a very basic production on gaago of NY and Leitrim. It's fine, but no replays and limited cameras.

Commentary from Frehill is OK, well informed, but Emlyn Mulligan is a pain, adding nothing except Des Dolan banalities, he'll be disappointed type thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

You cannot add any channels on a Virgin Media or Vodafone box that are not on the EPG. They are closed systems and only get the channels that are sent down the cable from the head-end. Ditto for eir TV except that runs on an Apple TV and as such the box can run all apps on the relevant App Store in Ireland.

Until recently both Virgin and Vodafone carried BBC Two NI. This seems to have changed lately since the closure of the SD version of the channel as part of the BBC’s migration to HD services on satellite. It is still on Sky albeit in HD only. These changes have nothing to do with the GAA and everything to do with the BBC wanting to shut down its remaining SD channels on satellite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

That possibly explains a few things that have happening leading me (VM in Dublin) to record the wrong programmes around 10pm when NI shows a local programme whilst other regions show a network comedy that I'd want to see. So I've taken to recording on both 140 and 109 channels.

However, there seems to be an issue that VM are still being fed the BBC2NI EPG whilst showing a different BBC. So for example last Saturday it said GAA Live at the top of the screen as I was watching the Porridge film.

Could RTE ever get a more monotonous pundit that Fitzmorris?

Watching paint dry is more animated….. what a disaster.

Fitzmaurice knows what he's talking about. He's much better than the nice looking and nice smiles of Keegan and Cavanagh who are providing vacous and sterile analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,432 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This new Sunday Game highlights programme is dire.

Dire pundits, Shane Dowling and Ursula Jacob.

They have 2 football pundits on now who looked like they just finished school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Of the gaago crew, Tommy Walsh and Seamus Hickey are very good on the hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

• Advertisement

Has the most monotonous delivery I ever heard.

Like a drone buzzing around Dublin Airport.

Look, it depends on what you think the second commentator is for?

IMHO, he should be looking around and filling us in on what's happening off camera, in terms of team layout and any tactical stuff not obvious on camera. For others the likes of John Gillanne roaring and loooing and telling you what's in front of your eyes is the thing.

I think Eamonn adds more light than heat, regardless of his line of patter. If you want entertainment, go to the pictures 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Fitzmaurice has a very monotonous voice but he's by far and away the best analyst in terms of content, I'd have him number one by a long shot - if you want the same rehashed cliches over and over, Dessie Dolan is probably your man.

I genuinely think given that the most intrinsically important unit of a broadcasters qualification is the voice, that at least that would rule out Fitzmaurice.

We could go on all day pontificating about how much he knows and all the rest but listening to his droning delivery is pure torture.

Surely, surely there are folk from GAA circles who are capable of putting a bit of life in their delivery and who know a bit about the game.

And don’t go on with the ‘if you don’t like it,don’t listen ‘card, I’m commenting on a service I pay for based on broadcasting acumen, nothing personal.

And in my opinion Fitzmaurice as a commentator does not fill the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Fitzmaurice has possibly the most monotone voice in punditry history. Whether it's handpassing back and forth for a couple of minutes or a last gasp match winning goal you couldn't tell the difference in his tone. Funnily enough i find him a good listen apart from that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement