Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempting to destroy famous paintings because fossil fuels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Lol.

'In order to convince those who don't want to be convinced, climate scientists must be able to present the entirety of the argument in a single tweet'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Politicians convince people Scientists present Data. I will ask one last time What % of the ice sheet was lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I oppose all fanatics, cranks and extremists no matter what the cause ... and feel that the way such individuals act is more a reflection on themselves than their cause ... in the Middle East or parts of the USA it would be someone acting in an extreme way obo some Ayatollah or Mullah (ME) or putting horns and a furry cap on to storm the Capitol for Jesus Trump ... but in non-religious Europe it is someone with a warped take on climate change (in this case) or economics or whatever ... secular fanaticism replacing religion ... it all shows that there is something very wrong in such people's lives when they have nothing better to do and join a cult and act in a cultish manner ... and not all cults are religion as this crowd Just Stop Oil show ..

All I have asked for is data behind a graph and then being labelled as not wanting to be convinced. It's clown world tbh.

it all shows that there is something very wrong in such people's lives 

You are absolutely correct in this bit here, 100%.

There is categorical, definitive proof that our societies mode of operation over the last several decades is having serious consequences for the health of the planet and if we continue in the same manner as we are doing, that it will result in destruction of entire ecosystems, displacement of millions of people and the suffering and deaths of many millions more.

This situation is influenced by, and backed up by the evidence of highly educated people working in the field of natural, environmental and other sciences.

Do you believe that these experts are incorrect in their findings and predictions? If yes, can you answer this. If there were experts who were able to convince you about an impending doom, whatever it was, are you saying that you would do nothing to try to initiate some meaningful conversation and action to prevent whatever prediction was made from coming to pass?

• Advertisement

You've asked me to do your research for you. Keep asking, I ain't here to run around google for you.

So again we have no idea where the graph is from who did it and what data. I'm sorry but the onus is on those posting this to provide the data. If the ice shelf melted by 1% in this time period it's nothing. Would you move house if someone came up and said there is a 1% chance your house could flood. Sell up and leave immediately ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It’s not even that. He’s demanded you do his basic reading skills:

If the person who came up to me was a structural engineer and they told me the house was likely to collapse, then absolutely I would. Would you not.

Your focus on the % value of the ice shows your incapacity to be involved in a meaningful conversation on this topic.

If there was a storage tank of lethal gas in a storage room, and you were told that 1% of the gas had escaped and as a consequence the room was likely close to a hazardous environment, would you ignore all warnings and say 'Pfft, it's only 1% of the tank'.

That is literally what is happening on a global level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

“There are none so blind as those who will not see”

They don’t want to learn

Post edited by mufflets2 on

So you would have been very much against the “illegal” actions of nelson Mandela or those of Rosa Parks?

is that right?

they were terrible extremist upstarts - is that your position?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

what are these green taxes that are crippling all of you that you people bang on about all the time? the tiny carbon tax that all parties are in favour of?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

5.3 Basal mass balanceBecause Karlsson et al. (2021) provide a steady-state annual-average estimate of the BMB fields, we divide the BMBGF and BMBfriction fields by 365 to estimate daily average. This is a reasonable treatment of the BMBGF field, which does not have an annual cycle. The BMBfriction field does have a small annual cycle that matches the annual velocity cycle. However, when averaged over all of Greenland, this is only a ∼6 % variation (King et al.2018), and Karlsson et al. (2021) found that basal melt rates are 5 % higher during the summer. Thus, the intra-annual changes are less than the uncertainty. The BMBVHD field varies significantly throughout the year, because it is proportional to surface runoff. We therefore generate our own BMBVHD for This Study.

7 Uncertainty

We treat the three inputs to the total mass balance (surface mass balance, discharge, and basal mass balance, or SMB, D, and BMB) as independent when calculating the total error. This is a simplification – the RCM SMB and the BMBVHD from RCM runoff are related and D ice thickness and BMBVHD pressure gradients are related, and other terms may have dependencies. However, the two dominant IO terms, SMB inputs and D outputs, are independent on annual timescales, and for simplification we treat all terms as independent. We use Eq. (3) and standard error propagation for SMB, D, and BMB terms (i.e., the square root of the sum of the squares of the SMB plus D plus BMB error terms). For D, extra work is done to calculate uncertainty between the last Mankoff et al. (2020b) D data (up to 30 d old, with an error of ∼9 % or ∼45 Gt yr−1) and the forecasted now-plus-7 d D (see Sect. 7.1). Table 3 provides a summary of the uncertainty for each input.

7.1 DischargeThe D uncertainty is discussed in detail in Mankoff et al. (2020b), but the main uncertainties come from unknown ice thickness, the assumption of no vertical shear at fast-flowing marine-terminating outlet glaciers, and ice density of 917 kg m−3. Regional ice density can be significantly reduced by crevasses. For example, Mankoff et al. (2020c) identified a snow-covered crevasse field with 20 % crevasse density, meaning at that location regional firn density should be reduced by 20 %.

Temporally, D at daily resolution comes from ∼12 d observations upsampled to daily, and those ∼12 d resolution observations come from longer time period observations (Solgaard et al.2021). Because the velocity method uses feature tracking, it is correct on average but misses variability within each sample period (e.g., Greene et al.2020).

Spatially, discharge is estimated ∼5 km upstream from the grounding lines for ice velocities as low as 100 m yr−1. That ice accelerates toward the margin, but even ice flowing steadily at 1 km yr−1 would take 5 years before that mass is lost. However, at any given point in time, ice that had previously crossed the flux gate is calving or melting into the fjord. The discrepancy here between the flux gate estimated mass loss and the actual mass lost at the downstream terminus is only significant for glaciers that have had large velocity changes at some point in the recent past, large changes in ice thickness, or large changes in the location (retreat or advance) of the terminus. We do not consider SMB changes downstream of the flux gate, because the gates are temporally near the terminus for most of the ice that is fast-flowing, and the largest SMB uncertainty is at the ice sheet margin, where there are both mask issues and high topographic variability.

The forecasted D uncertainty is the average historical uncertainty plus a 1 % increase per day for the past projected and forecasted period.

Wow you are so clever.

If you know what that means - why dont you sumarise it for us?

(and just remind us what the study is and who conducted it?)

cant wait!

PS its great to see you explaining stuff in simple terms (as though you understand it)

instead of just asking questions👍️

If you go looking for an answer you find it simple really. They already said they don't know the ice thickness.

I’m waiting - you haven’t a clue - have you? 😂🤣

Did we read the part where they don't know the ice thickness and are modelling. If they stuck that under the title no one would read the walls of text. Some could easily ask could this model be completely inaccurate. Answer well yes.

• Advertisement

Honestly, if someone asked me to post a meme showcasing the arguments against protecting the environment, I'd struggle to find better than this.

Trite dismissal of scientific fact using QANON/4Chan/Fox rhetoric.

I'd be embarrassed to think that this image makes my argument for me.

Were not being asked to protect the environment though are we. Greens want more windmills Battery banks electric cars that destroy said environment.

Here I will start you off

The study is about..................

done by................................

they concluded that................

I disagree with it because.........

you remember plain english - its what people who understand stuff use to explain their point

instead of those who throw in obscure convaluted quotes - to show how clever they are - see below

but realy dont have the first idea😂

We are all waiting?

it's simple. They don't know the ice thickness then go on to tell you how much of that ice has disappeared.

and how does your extensive quote prove that ????

you dont need to summarise it all - just something to show that you understand the extensive piece you produced on the statistical analysis of the study

🤣😂 Get ready folks - 😂This is going to be good🤣🤣 (remember plain english shows you understand)👍️

Lol. If you cannot quantify something it cannot be measured.

This may help.

express or measure the quantity of.

"it is impossible to quantify the extent of the black economy

so 00000.1% or 100% has melted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Just to see the science there, two most vocal an mentioned in several articles are Gianluca Grimalda (experimental economist) and Agisilaos Koulouris (PE teacher). But hey, they wore lab coats so there it is.

🤣🤩😂🤣😅Not🤣 😂A😂🤣CLUE😂🤣

Ok

just explain this little piece - or what its purpose is.

"Temporally, D at daily resolution comes from ∼12 d observations upsampled to daily, and those ∼12 d resolution observations come from longer time period observations (Solgaard et al.2021). Because the velocity method uses feature tracking, it is correct on average but misses variability within each sample period"

I cant wait - again🤗

Remember its from your post🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Whole developing world as it seems. Like India and China for example. Throw in Bangladesh and one - two other neighbours and suddenly you talk about more than a half of world population. Or perhaps over 3/4 of the world population since the only people who are reasonably well off are being referenced as golden billion. That is 1 out of nearly 8.

So when they get on whole carbon and green agenda count me in.

If you think 1 out of 8 people can do enough work to carry on other 7, you need to have your head examined.

• Advertisement

I suggest contacting those that wrote it if there are any issues with what's written. 😀😁😂🤣😃😆

Advertisement