Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I agree timing is everything and Russia on full retreat would be the ideal prelude. However the winter may well slow down the Ukrainian momentum. Putin knows he cannot win a total conquest and will hardly even hold what he has 'annexed' which is why he is playing dirty and going after utilities to cripple the economy and bring down morale. It will be a long hard winter for both armies. Hence my prediction that we could be in negotiations before Xmas. I may well be utterly wrong which is why I asked for other endgame projections - objective ones ideally. Nobody seems to be volunteering any though. Russia cannot be trusted in any negotiations anyway so maybe total expulsion is the only outcome possible. That could take many years.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think you're looking at this from the wrong angle. At best, what we might see is a ceasefire over the Winter months, but there's no immediate end-game here; Putin is already slamming every civilian target he can think of right now out of a desperate attempt to shake morale - yet there's no sign of resolve slipping, inside or outside Ukraine. Whereas ... what's the morale of the Russian forces, its fresh recruits told to seek tampons 'cos they aren't given proper first-aid kits?

It's going to be a harsh winter, but as recent surveys have shown, there's little appetite to appease Russia for the sake of a little more warmth. Ukraine might be able to make do - what will those poor Russian sods have? All that might change once things really bite but maybe the one small advantage of Climate Collapse is these milder Winters mean it won't be as bad (sarcasm). we know the Russian forces are barely holding it together, their morale in a terrible state. We saw the response by those within the homeland when Putin declared the mobilisation - what chance of a mutiny on the front-lines?

I suspect Ukraine are in a race to take Kherson before winter kicks in; and aside from anything else, no army's momentum is infinite. Eventually those rapid advances will stall, or slow down at the very least. But ultimately, Russia is in Ukraine's backyard, not the other way around. The Ukrainian army and people have resources from allies, and the resolve to punish invaders attacking and killing civilians. All they have to do is wait in their own homes; the Russian army doesn't have that advantage 'cos they're the aggressor - they're the one having to expend more resources to stay where they are.

Good objective points and i won't argue with any of it.

So what is your endgame prediction and timeline? (this was my original Q but I offered my own guess knowing people would ask).

It sounds like you are suggesting total Russian expulsion by end of 2023? A complete Ukrainian victory on the battlefield?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not being smart, but I don't know what the endgame is and reluctant to make one. Far too many balls in the air to speak with confidence. Short-to-medium term events that could utterly change the playing field include:

• GOP retaking political control in the US, with current Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy already speaking to reducing Ukrainian support (via "we gotta look after ourselves first" rhetoric)
    • Putin drops a tactical nuke. Nothing like Hiroshima as a low-yield would (apparently) not be completely apocalyptic, but still. Big game-changer that upends the entire course of the war's approach.
    • EU support does indeed collapse across winter; the UK seems in particular trouble with Brexit making a bad situation worse. And as a more vocal ally, could suddenly swing away from supporting Kyiv and make a deal with Russia. The current crop of Tories seem indifferent towards basic political morality and wouldn't trust them to tell the time.
    • Putin dies, or is ousted in a coup. But even that isn't an instant positive for Kyiv: if an ultra-nationalist takes over and decides to cause chaos by invading Moldova, Georgia and anyone else within the sphere of "Historical Russia", things have escalated.

Those are hypotheticals, some more likely than others - I do worry America's support might falter thanks to the GOP's love to do the polar opposite to the Democrats. Suddenly all those experts, all that training and infrastructure helping Ukraine disappears.

A desired End-Game then? Ukraine should retake the 4 provinces at a minimum - retaking Crimea might be regarded as too large an investment in soldiers, money and time. Russia has had a decade to shore up defence, and reshape its demographics. I could see a scenario where quiet backroom words are had, Ukraine told to halt its advance with the promise of lots of cash to rebuild its country. Either way, Ukraine are winning this war, it's just a matter of Russia deciding when or if it can take the hint.

Good article here from a historian on the endgame - I like historians because they tend to be more objective. And to be fair the endgame will not be black and white, it will probably be murkier.

Historian Timothy Snyder on how war ends in Ukraine | On Point (wbur.org)

"Putin began this war for basically political aims. He's not going to be able to achieve those aims. And at a certain point, the costs for him politically at home will become great enough that he will have to find a way to change the subject. He'll have to find some kind of a way to pivot. I think if he takes too long, what happens is that his popularity, which is going down, will be a problem. His rivals, who now have much more articulate voices, will feel like they can take even more public stands.

"The people who have made some kind of career fighting in Ukraine will also want to have a voice. And he's going to face a situation of a kind of growing, oligarchical pluralism around him. And as that struggle for power continues, and in my view, it's already begun. At a certain point, the people involved will not think it makes sense to have troops in Ukraine anymore when there's a struggle for power going on in Russia. That is a normal ... I admit not as exciting as nuclear war, but that's a normal way for the war to end. And I think that that's the track that we're on."

• Advertisement

Great post. There are a lot of moving parts to consider, especially around Putin's future. All I am looking for is a best guess, nobody knows.

One question - did Ukraine have any plans to retake Crimea since 2014? I haven't heard anything about that in the media. Was there even any rhetoric about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If Russia stays in possession of Crimea it should not get any rights to its territorial shelf \ waters etc etc

Its resources need to be reparations for Ukraine. Although Ukraine then would need to restore water access through the canal.

There needs to be limits on Russian military there except for protection of the existing naval base.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

.The Russians have made it very hard for themselves to row back on the invasion. They've built a narrative of a Ukraine that's an existential threat to Russia, a murderous regime seething with hatred for Russia, wiling catspaws of the evil ''west'' and its nefarious schemes, a population of brainwashed zombies manipulated by a gang of-take your pick-Nazis/Gays/Degenerates/Drug-addicts/Satanists/what have you. Their media figures have been foaming at the mouth, showering Ukraine and the west with invective that would do credit to Josef Goebbels, calling for ''re-education'', destruction and extermination. How can they walk back from that? How can some border adjustments be reconciled with this monument of hatred and horror that they've built?

Post edited by ilkhanid on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

If you're new here, please read the charter before posting. You're expected to make your own points and back up your own assertions. Dumping links to videos or articles saying "read this" or some other one line comment is not an acceptable contribution. Links are meant to support your assertions, not replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Can't see it happening,

Crimea will need to be returned to Ukraine fully including savestapol Naval Base, since they built the kirsch bridge they expelled Ukrainian fishing boats from the Azoz sea and pretty much every where else close to Ukraine, telling the Ukrainans fishing they are in Russian live artillery ranges , what makes you think they would stick to any agreement over who and where can be used by the Ukrainans,

The only option is full return of Crimea to Ukraine who will then in turn have to carry a derussafication program,

People in Crimea either stay and become Ukrainian or they leave via the kirsch bridge, while Ukrainians forcibly deported to various parts of Russia are returned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

Prior to the 2022 invasion, Zelensky was tending towards (and was voted in on a mandate to) de-escalating the war with Russia. See this from 2019:

Arguably that was towards long term acknowledging the status quo as it then was.

The 2022 invasion changed that considerably from the perspective of the Ukrainian population.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

I should have stopped reading after your first sentence as this a predictable tactic to riddle those you disagree with and avoid proper engagement. But I did stop as soon as I noticed that you misquoted me to fashion a counter argument and you referenced an incorrect Ukraine figure.

Not sure where you got the notion I have swallowed Russian propaganda, there' some very intelligent, smart western experts who know a lot more about this situation than you or I or anybody else on boards, speaking in practical terms about what's going on. Plenty out there to research, and you do not need to look too hard. Also, when you critically look at the all the inputs into an issue, it should not be too taxing to form an intelligent enough opinion.

That being said, if it makes people feel safe within their blinkered vision to riddle and dismiss those with an alternate view, in other words, able to see the bigger picture, on the Ukraine situation, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Everything you said is straight from the Kremlin hymn book. You have a one dimensional view. Smart western experts can become useful idiots and start believing propaganda too. The facts are different to what you claim no matter how much you believe you are right.

Exactly, you have validated my previous point.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@JL555 dismiss those with an alternate view.

Alternative views,no speaking nonsense while claiming something as fact and then claiming Russian propaganda is based in reality,

When it's absolutely not ,let's blame nato , let's blame the west , lets blame Nazis let's blame Satanist now ....

The only one to blame for the current situation in Ukraine is Putin,

Everything else is made up bs masqueraded as "Alternative views"

I see you are unable to actually counter any of the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

The Afghans beat the British and later on the Russians and did it in combat. They never beat the US in combat. A few days after they invaded, they had cleared the Taliban out completely, and took over the administration of Afghanistan. 20 years later, after having done everything possible to bring Afghans into the 21st century, they withdrew. This withdrawal and handover were planned more that 2 years before they actually physically left Afghanistan. If they decided to return in the morning, they could take control again in a very short time, and most Afghans would welcome them back, with flowers and handshakes. Afghans defeated Afghans, and that's what happened. Age-old tribal rivalries and with Pakistan stirring the pot did the rest. The US were never beaten militarily to the extent that they had to leave, unlike the Soviets and the British. Theirs was a planned withdrawal. That it got messy at the end is true, but how else could it have been done? A phased withdrawal? Maybe, but everyone saw the last days at Kabul airport, and how that went, imagine a month (or longer) withdrawal time? And a lot of the problem was that Afghans did not want the Americans to leave.

I couldn't;t be bothered as the predicable responses are boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

there' some very intelligent, smart western experts

There are plenty who masquerade as "objective" experts when they are anything but.

Individuals who personify the same basket of democratic free countries as the "villains" in every scenario, assume the worst geopolitical intentions, cherry-pick history and always end up repeating the exact same talking points of dictators all over the world.

In this situation, which is about as black/white as you can get, you'll notice these types are "smart" enough to preface their views with some criticism of Putin, but it's just lip-service before they launch into the same cookie-cookie tirade.

They rely on the usual array of false equivalence, "both sides-ism", whataboutery and Iraq to make all their points. Which are always in line with Putin's propaganda.

• Advertisement

It's because you can't.

You know it.

We know it.

The Ukrainians aren't people to you or Putin - just biomass to be consumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

You're the second person to respond to that post with a response like this which makes me realise that I worded my comment badly since it's being mis-interpreted.

I wasn't implying that the Taliban beat the US Army. Of course they didn't. I was saying that they routed the Afghan army. My post was in response to people basically saying that "Of course the Ukrainians are winning - just look at all the military aid they have been given". The Afghan army have shown that military aid is useless if the will to fight is not present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭amandstu

Are you being unfair to the Afghan army ?

Why did the US and its allies not stay the course?

Do we think that the population did not support the status quo?

It feels to me this was a simple case of "imperial" overreach where support for the Afghan mission had evaporated and the US felt that Afghanistan was a distraction.

As soon as the date for withdrawal was given in advance the game was up-there should have been notice of eventual withdrawal when conditions were acceptable.

As it was ,it turned out to be acceptable only to the Taliban.

I don't doubt the Afghans had the will to fight ,but they are not stupid either and knew that they were betrayed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Calling the outcome of a Maidan revolution as a "western leaning puppet being installed" is not an alternative view, its just either deeply misinformed or an outright fabrication - i.e., not true.

Putin is out there constantly making it crystal clear why they are invading Ukraine, and it is because he doesn't think Ukraine exists, or should have the right to exist, as its own sovereign nation. He believes it exists only under the auspices of Russia and due to their benevolence and because he didn't like that they were moving towards a western-leaning world view he decided to try and subjugate them. Sometimes it really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The way that the American withdrawal played out was a disgraceful shambles. The majority of the Afghan army had no will to fight. These are not mutually exclusive and can both be true.

Why did the US and its allies not stay the course?

Define "stay the course"? They were there for 20 years. They spent over 2 Trillion dollars there. The Taliban had the ability to hide in the mountains or disappear across the border into friendly regions of Pakistan. It became clear a long time ago that the Americans could never fully eradicate them and they would likely re-emerge whenever they left. Short of staying there forever there was no solution. The only question was who was going to be the President who would say "Enough" take the political hit for the withdrawal. As it happened, Trump called time and Biden took the political hit.

Do we think that the population did not support the status quo?

Local's attitude to the Taliban very much depended on what party of the country you were in. They likely didn't have too much support in Kabul but they certainly did in many rural parts of the country. They never would have been able to survive so long in the wilderness without local support.

Well as I see it, where the US is concerned, and they get it wrong, and when they get it disastrously wrong (Iraq being such monumental cock-up) and I'd call it exactly what it was,,, a disaster. But there is far too many jumping on the big bad US bandwagon, as if the US are the biggest and baddest Country in the world, and they get the blame for all the evil in the word. I lived in Afghanistan for several years, and I experienced firsthand what the US did there. I saw what it was like under the Taliban, and it was a grim primitive lifestyle. Depending move on Inis'h Allah than anything else. Then the US arrived and completely improved the life of Afghans in every way possible...but critics who denigrate the US only speak about " The American Invaders"; Basically, criticize the US where they deserve it, but by the same totem, praise when its due too!.

Go back in History, and aside from the Marshall Plan postww2, what "Invader" ever spent so much on the "Conquered Country" as America spent on Afghanistan? America tried to bring Afghanistan from the Middle Ages into the modern age. After 20 years and spending trillions of USD, Trump decided to call a halt, and withdraw. Trump did this to improve his election chances, and that was that, had he not been elected, maybe a different President would not have withdrawn. But just for arguments sake, just how long do you think that course (your description) should have been? Another 10, 20 or 30 years? And why?

As it was, Trump had been negotiating with the Taliban for 2+ years, before they signed a handover and withdrawal agreement. From this date, a gradual handover and incorporation of the Taliban into the existing elected Afghanistan government was to take place, and only after this was achieved, would the Americans start a gradual phased withdrawal, which would have taken anything from 6 mths to one year. But what actually happened? Despite all the training and preparation for the handover, the Afghan army (with few exceptions) surrendered to the Taliban. They handed power over to the Taliban within a few days, and they simply reverted to Afghan Tribal governance, the same system they had been using for centuries, IE Loya Jirga. But this collapse of the Afghan forces, meant that there could not be the orderly withdrawal that had been planned. With the Taliban in complete charge, and the Afghan Government fleeing, the US had to do an emergency evacuation. And that's how and why it was so disorganized, but don't blame that on the US, blame it on Afghan Tribal politics. And neither did the US betray the Afghans, as you suggest, that was also on Tribal Politics. The best 20 years Afghanistan ever had, was while the Americans were there. And if by some twist of fortune, if the US were to return to Afghanistan, they would be welcomed with open arms by the Afghans.

The US should have been negotiating with the elected government of Aghanistan and not with the Taliban.

If the US decided to cut and run it should have been done in public and the terms of US support should have been public and either approved in an Afghan general election or rejected.

If the Afghan people was OK with whatever terms the US had on offer then the US should have backed up their words with deeds in the same way we ,in the West count on their support (which we have to reciprocate according to our abilities)

As for how long -as long as it would have taken and was possible.

Yes this is on Trump but Biden seems to have been happy with it and the policy was popular in the population.

(1) " The US should have been negotiating with the elected government of Aghanistan and not with the Taliban."

The US had been negotiating with the democratically elected Afghan Government for the 20 years they were there. It was the US Govt who organized the first Loya Jirga so that Afghans could rule themselves. For 20 years, they financed the State of Afghanistan, everything, the civil service, the Military, the Health Service's, reconstruction of roads, bridges, airports, hospitals etc. Everything in fact. In 20 years, they completely transformed Afghanistan. Before they came, Afghanistan was a time machine, step into the countryside, and step back in time, hundreds of years, where cows were used to till the land, pulling wooden plows, and donkeys were used to carry sacks of wheat to the water wheel driven to be ground into flour. Most of the countryside did not even have proper roads, just semi-desert track's, in some cases, just dried up river beds. For any kind of road trip, you needed 4 Landcruisers,2 loaded with spare wheels and leaf springs, and lots of workshop equipment plus a team of mechanics.

(2) "If the US decided to cut and run it should have been done in public and the terms of US support should have been public and either approved in an Afghan general election or rejected."

Just who do you think were involved in the negotiations with the Taliban? Only the US? These talks went on for several years before they started to reach any kind of agreements that allow the Taliban back in Afghanistan. And the outcome of these talks were agreed with the Afghan Government. How else could they have been signed and passed? The amount of publicity was at the discretion of the Afghan Govt. To hold an election based on the agreement, was also at the discretion of the Afghans, not the US.

(3) "As for how long -as long as it would have taken and was possible.*

For 20 years, the US financed Afghanistan, from top to bottom. They spent that time and money, educating and training Afghans to run their own affairs, including security. For years they had been using Afghan military to secure the Cities, Towns and Villages, with less and less US presence. In the months before the handover, most US troops had left, with only a skeleton crew remaining. They were confident that the Afghan military were capable of securing the Country, after all they were equipped with the best weapons and vehicles. So according to the plan, in the time frame, an orderly planned withdrawal was possible. But in reality, the Govt and military collapsed, and aside from some isolated pockets of resistance by Afghan special forces, the Taliban got a walk over. The rest as they say, is history.

(4) Yes this is on Trump but Biden seems to have been happy with it and the policy was popular in the population.

You seem to forget that Trump signed this into Law, and that Law was binding on Biden. Just like Laws signed now by Biden will be binding on the next Govt as well.

Now, had the US stayed in Afghanistan for another 20 years, can you guarantee that there would have been a different outcome?

• Advertisement

I am not saying how long the US should have stayed, just that it should have left on terms that were acceptable to the Afghan people .

I am not talking about veiled threats to politicians but the whole country should have had a stake in whether or not the US left or not.

If the country as a whole wanted the US to leave and indicated this in democratic elections ,then the US would have been morally free to do what it obviously wanted and left.

On the other hand if there was a genuine democratically expressed wish for the US to stay then the US had the choice of saying "tough **** we have had enough" or "ok we will be your friends and allies"

As things actually transpired it is obvious there was a lack of communication between those two countries and both have come off worse (the Taliban are the maggot that has crept into the rotten apple of this mutual misunderstanding and disregard)

By the way I am not impressed by the amount of money that was poured into infrastructure (probably a drop in the ocean of US's wealth and I can't say how essential it was to Afghanistan,'s well being)

The compact was to prevent another 9/11 and to do the decent thing by the Afghan population in the aftermath whatever that entailed.

Advertisement