Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EX FG voters, why have you stopped supporting them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's why I'm still voting for FG.

Because any government that doesn't include FG will deliver the above and more in spades.

Do you really think FF or SF would not increase taxes, would not prioritize welfare recipients over workers, limit immigration etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

About 80 percent of their base must be "least worst option"

Its a shame they had a great opportunity and squandered it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Depends on what you think was squandered.

The reason we could get through COVID paying the PUP and TWSS was because of prudent running of the economy since 2011 by FG.

We have just had a budget with tax cuts and increases in welfare spending because of prudent running of the economy by FG.

These are things that don't make the headlines as much as homelessness, HSE etc, but I shudder to think what the country would have to do if we had another emergency a few years into a SF government.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....thats funny, as i thought eu deficit rules were relaxed during covid, making special government funds available, and bond yield rates went negative, allowing our government to implement critical polices such as pup and other funds!

....and funnily enough, i was of the belief corporate tax receipts have increased significantly over the last few years, allowing the government the fiscal space to also implement our current budget polices!

...dont worry, the possibility of a global financial crisis is now extremely high, largely due to rates being increased, ffg and co. are in serious trouble, if this comes to be!

...and dont be overly worrying about a sf lead government, as its very likely theyll be unable to change much, when theyre elected....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

You realise by voting for them you’re encouraging their behaviour.

FG need a good kick up the hole to realise where their vote lies at the minute they seem to think it lies with welfare recipients and illegal immigrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

No, but not even in their wildest 'open borders and tax 'em till they squeal' dreams could the shinners have done the damage that our so called centre right parties have done to this country. All of the current clowns in power need to taste the political wilderness to temper the arrogance and hubris that has demolished this nation.

I'm frankly going full accelerationist and voting SF next time around in the hopes they cock up. As far as I'm concerned our entire political system is going to have to be torn down and rebuilt from scratch and letting the lunatics blow it all up quickly will get us there faster than allowing FFG bring us to the same place eventually anyway. I just consider voting SF to be the political equivalent of ripping off the bandage quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

33% CGT and 40% on ETFs and USC up to 7% and VAT@23% and carbon taxes and fuel tax@49% and vacant home tax and property tax and VRT and stamp duty and standing charges and high income taxes and excise taxes not good enough for ya?

Ireland doesn't need MORE taxes. Go on outta that.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

I've emigrated and will be mailing in a vote for SF and friends, having been a FG voter since 2011.

It's the housing market and lack of diversification in the economy, stupid.

It's obvious Ireland needs at least a small but true right of centre party to pull coalitions out of the tax them to hell and giveaway freebies mindset of these meifeiner politicians.

There is no balance at all.

FF and FG have no pressure on them to reduce the squeeze on working people.

SF are going to be even worse, they think somebody who works hard everyday and paid 80k euro is rich and deserves to get EVEN MORE of their hard earned cash taken away to those who don't bother their arse going out working or stretching themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

All true but that can’t happen until a vaguely conservative media outlet gains a foothold, RTE would strangle at birth anything smelling of a right wing party and Irish people won’t associate themselves with anything deemed not respectable, that we took off the mask en masse the day we were told it was ok to proved that

• Advertisement

There is no emigrant voting permitted unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Again. Spoiling our votes would be far more effective, than not showing up at all... ffg have got a bounce in the polls because of the budget, from the welfare brigade. Fg are now more about placating welfare lifers than the poor in dublin on 40K, losing half their salary above that pittance of an income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

This is unbelievable! They ate reaping what they hace sewn!

Then we have ukraniams comimg in hre, gettimg the same benwfuts as someome hete who has worked and contributed theor entire life.

The corporatio tax returns are nothing but an endless get out of jail card for the criminal farce of ffg..

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭CarProblem

I never link to rags like the Indo or Times but saw someone post a link online today with the headline "Pandemic persuades Varadkar of the virtue of greater state intervention in the economy"

And there are people out there still calling Varadkar/FG right wing 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yes, more right leaning parties have a tendency towards strong state interventions and supports, particularly if its for the gains of the few, i.e. the so called 'trickle down' effect etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm fairly sure I remember you saying that you voted Renua in the last two elections, so presumably your reason to stop voting FG happened pre-2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Correct. I think I voted renua and nobody else... desperate state of affairs here , when the voting options range from the left, to the further left...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭amacca

The only reason I might still vote for them is I trust the other potential options/cretins even less

What a depressing situation we find ourselves in.

Housing crisis, health crisis, inflation, high debt, high taxes, high child care costs. A public transport system decades behind. Stupid green agenda's.

Something is very wrong when a person on less than the average salary goes into the highest tax bracket.

I think most people have just given up at this point.

FG have delivered precisely the opposite of what they should have delivered.

Ridiculously high taxes; weak on crime; obsessed about the welfare state etc.

Then there's Helen McEntee; the woman responsible for so-called hate speech legislation (which is really just offensive speech). Curbs on freedom of speech and expression, from a so-called right-wing government.

By any standards, this government has been left-wing in effect. And don't get me started on mass immigration and the inability to deal with the housing crisis.

They are a disaster.

And that's why I won't be voting for FG at the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Why I don't vote for FG anymore, mainly Varadkar I just absolutely detest the man.

I actually laugh when people call them right wing, the are anything but and really are only lap dogs for EPP party in the European union. First of all conservatives like what FG were supposed to be are supposed to 'conserve' and be prudent, they are anything but by blowing away our golden goose of corpo tax since 2016. Had we conserved it and spent it wisely on housing then health wouldn't be in the mess its in today with every doctor and nurse emigrating once finished med in college. Likewise education would be half as bad as it is today if they didn't screw up the housing polices so bad here.

Realistically QE and low interest rates pushed by the major western central banks has caused the housing problem throughout the globe, as pension funds and hedge funds couldn't make returns on safe government bonds so they had to go else where and when interest rates were so low and QE was endless then the risk factor was completely taken out. FG policy should have been to up the tax on intuitional landlords and REITs they had to do it. They also could have offered tax breaks for companies who wanted to participate in social housing projects, and tax breaks for companies that were offering affordable housing, they didn't the caved into the big lobbyist sure wasn't Enda Kenny employed by one vulture fund and now here we are - in an absolute disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

According to who are FG 'supposed to be conservatives'. They currently define themselves as a party of the 'progressive centre'. I'd say you'd have to go back to pre-Garret days to find them marketing themselves as a conservative/right-wing party...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We do not have postal voting for emigrants.

If you qualify for a postal vote from abroad, you have not emigrated

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You thought you were voting for a right wing party up to now.... so who pray tell is the right wing party you'll be voting for next time around?

As for the CT rate it would not have mattered a fig who what in power, the days of being a tax haven and a member of the EU is gone. The windows of change have seen Switzerland, Luxembourg and so on having to give bank secrecy etc. And no Irish government would have been able to resist. Believing otherwise is a bit like thinking FG is a right wing party.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

When a public transport system decades behind and a green agenda both being held up as problems I get confused. The Greens are pushing very strongly to improve the public transport system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I never once stated I thought Fine Gael was a right wing party I said I find it funny when people say they are a right wing party because they are so clearly not.

I never once stated stated I was right wing or that way inclined, I stated I wished FG were more prudent in the way they spent our golden goose of tax receipts from the multinational sector. I also stated only upping the tax rates for vulture funds, institutional landlords and REITS not multinationals post 2016.

I don't know where you got all that from my earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

I would say the words for that are "deceitful populism"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I'm not sure if it's still legal to insult the Minister for Justice, she is on leave for a few months...again, and she is known for getting emotional, like the other Minister, Harris!!!

We have a Minster who actually believes women and gay people are more at threat than the rest of us from climate change... he actually said that....should they be moved up the mountains for their safety I wondered!!!

We have the worst Minister for Education in our history, an utter shambles, another person who only got the job because of her gender, she was a town councellor in Kerry before she became the Minister.

Don't get me started on the Minister for Health, thankfully the madness of what was imposed on people over the last number of years will unravel in other, more normal countries.

I'll never vote FF/Fg/Lab/or SF for that matter....never, I'll look for the most deluded nutter on the ballot and if they are not a Social Democrat I'll give it to him, it won't matter if he is elected anyway, we are governed from Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

FG could have enshrined themselves as a pro-business, small government, low tax, financially prudent, socially conservative party. Things we once regarded as the tenets of conservatism.

Instead they spent the last 10 years pandering to SocDem voters, who will never give them even a whiff of a transfer. As missed opportunities go, its up there with Ronnie Rosenthal v Aston Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Lads as disgraceful as it is now. Imagine how much worse it will be in five years. You cannot solve the housing crisis, while opening the flood gates of uncapped immigration to the welfare land of milk and honey. Now imagine the magic money tree dries up and they keep on allowing unlimited immigration, its going to be a right riot to observe...

The state went through serious upheaval one hundred years ago. It's coming again... the level of moron that runs for election here, is criminal...

Instead of cutting the marginal rate of tax. They cant even bring themselves to do it. The rich over 40,000 would benefit from it... they will increase the welfare pay out if made redundant, which is right. But they wint touch the marginal rate. Its disgusting...

They wonder why many are qualifying and leaving the place ? Losing fifty percent of your pay over a pittance and housing crisis...

Advertisement