Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I fix my tracker mortgage

Options
  • 28-10-2022 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi, Im not great in this area so trying to collect and learn as much as I can. I have a tracker mortgage with ptsb still 20yrs remaining. My tracker is 1.1%. With the ecb rates increasing some people are saying fix it. My question is if I fix I obviously lose my tracker then, would u be better off sticking through the next say 5yrs or so with the hope that eventually the rate drops again and in the long run of 20yrs I would still be better off trying to keep the tracker??? Hope that makes sense. Any advise greatly appreciated

Post edited by Spear on
    Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭who what when

I don't think anyone can really answer that but I will say one thing.

Interest rates are being raised in order to curb inflation. Inflation has mainly gone mad because energy prices have gone mad. I just cannot see how raising interest rates will have any effect on energy prices.

I've a feeling the whole thing won't settle down until the war in Ukraine ends.

Any advice offered would only be speculation as nobody knows. If the rate increases will hamper your ability to pay the mortgage and put food on the table it would be best to try and lock in while rates are relatively low. If not it might be worth the gamble that they will come back down soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I'm also on a tracker mortgage but I would just like someone to tell me how is rising my mortgage payment seriously going to make any difference unless for maybe seeing me default on my mortgage. Totally mad explanation on news links probably we'll definitely wrote by people making decisions who wouldn't know what paying bills or a mortgage is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

at 1.1% and 20 year left - I'd stick with the tracker. There's an argument to fix for 10 years at 3%, but borderline. If you fix for 7 years at 3% you have 13 years left without a tracker

The reason is that after the fixed rate expires you are subject to the rates ptsb have then and their standard variable is extortionate. Also they treat current customers differently to new customers so the better rates will never be available to you.

No one can say for certain what the ecb will do, but with a slowdown on the horizon it will be mindful not to increase too much and when inflation is under control rate will fall back.

Banks usually want about 2% margin on mortgages. They have 1.1% with you. So you are ahead of their average and whilst you may see 2.5-3% ecb for a short while, it will likely move back to 1.5% (that's what the money markets are suggesting at present)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Nobody can say with any certainty but the whole tracker thing is in Irish psyches now because of the crash.

Realistically if you just look at it objectively and say what's my current rate, what's on offer to fix and what am I able to absorb if you factor in another rate rise or two. Then just make your decision based off that like you would anything.

Forget about the past and the 'omg you've got a tracker, you lucky duck' mentality. Just work with the facts of today.

• Advertisement

some scaremongers are saying "extra €6,000 a year" (yes if you have a 800k mortgage - and therefore you have the salary to match and 4k is not a major rise)

Some people are reading UK news where there's a totally different regime.

But here's real figures

Balance 250k, 15 years left, 1.1% tracker. Repayments earlier this year when ecb was 0% = €1507

ECB at 2% = 3.1% interest - repayment on this example goes to €1738

About €2500 extra a year. And still much lower than they were paying in 2007 & 2008

Such an example would be based on an original mortgage of circa 475k in 2006

Thanks for that, but my point is I'm being told raising my mortgage repayment will curb my spending elsewhere so bring down inflation.

My wages are probably 20 to 25 per cent down on Last year's spending power due to rise in the cost of living and believe me our spending and nights out are cut back to the point of non existent.

Something seriously not adding up to the normal low or middle worker.

I suppose the gamble you are taking is that the ecb rate doesn't being your tracker above fixed rates and stay there for the long term. I know the figure of 2500 extra a year doesn't sound like a lot extra but over the 20 years that's 50 grand more.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dublingaa

Thanks for the feedback, this is definitely more where my heads at, I feel we could manage a few more ecb rises and just get through the next few years then at least I will still keep the tracker and its more within my control and if inflation settles down after some time this might take the sting out of it over time.

Has anything ever added up for that cohort? The logic is rate rises remove money/investment from the economy and bring on a recession. Crude but effective.

Feather your nest in the good times and hunker down in the bad. Survival 101.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Rising energy costs aren't the main reason for inflation, it's one of many but it certainly is not the main. Inflation was always going to happen after Covid-19 and lockdown. Governments can't take loans of billions and billions and pump in into the economy without any effect. The estimated cost of this is estimated to be at least €37bn for 2020 & 2021.

It's a simple principle of economics that when people have more money, it leads to an increase in demand which leads to higher prices. People's savings had risen massively during Covid as they weren't able to spend it during lockdown, once the lockdowns were finished it was inevitable that the economy would get over stimulated as demand for goods and services became very high. This is called demand-pull inflation.

But you also had cost-push inflation across the economy. The housing sector had to deal with a shortage of construction materials, which increased construction costs and these increases have been passed onto the consumer with increased housing costs. Shortage of construction workers, you guessed, lead to an increase in wages and thus an increase in house prices.

And obviously you had to Ukraine war, which limited the supply of many goods, not just gas, which has lead to an increase in their prices as supply was lower.

And once again the Government is getting funding, taking loans out, now to provide support and accommodation to refugees, over 25% of all hotel rooms in the country are being paid by the government. Obviously this has lead to an increase in hotel room prices but there's the knock on effect too, billions is being added to the economy without an increase in production capacity which only leads to inflation.

Now we're also seeing build in-inflation. Workers are expecting pay increases to cover the cost of inflation, which will in turn lead to increased costs of goods and services in the economy. This can be a vicious cycle of increased costs leading to an increase in wages which leads to increased costs and so on.

So mortgage interest rate increases are being implemented to reduce the amount of money being introduced to the economy while also resulting in negative consumer sentiment so there'll be reduced spending.

This is OK, but what about the people already on limited and reduced spending before this. It doesn’t make any sense to me to be putting more pressure onto certain people who are already under massive pressure.

But it's Always the same, people making these decisions have probably never had to deal with budgeting or living on just above the bare minimum.

It won't.

Banks will be under pressure to start paying interest on deposits and once that starts they will be back to their normal 2-2.5% margins over ECB.

The risk is the 13 or so years in the future where you don't have a tracker and subject to the bank's rates then.

If op only had 10 years left, that would lead to different advice as only the final 3 years (and small balance) would be subject to the bank's rate policy after the fixed term

I have 4 years left on a Tracker. What would you suggest at the present time.

Unless you're overpaying it I'd be comparing fixed rates with another 1% onto the current rate. Whichever is cheaper is your answer.

If you're overpaying then theres a little more to workout

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Interesting thread. Interested on opinions on my situation.

€150,000 outstanding

2.25% tracker

15 years left. Any thoughts? I'm leaning to breaking to a 10 year fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Who is to say what the cheapest option will be but the answer to me is simple.

Investigate what rate you can lock in for 5 years or 10. If you can afford it with certainty, do it because who knows where rates will go.

You may end up paying more but you will have certainty and that is something money can't buy.

Your tracker is worthless if it's 2.25% above ECB which would mean 4.25% rate from next month.

If it is 2.25% fix immediately and go for as long as possible for any rate of 3% or lower

I'll assume you are ECB +1% or thereabouts

It won't make much of a difference as your balance is probably quite small and dropping by a decent amount every month

If you can get 4 years at 2.7%, take it, but still it won't be a huge difference either way due to the probable balance of circa 75k-100k

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

Here's an article in the Irish times that gives an excellent summary. It's by the founder of the askaboutmoney.com website

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2022/10/31/all-you-need-to-know-about-mortgage-options-as-interest-rates-continue-rising/

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Was in a similar situation, 17 years left on tracker ended up fixing it for 5 years at 2.35%. I plan to wipe most of the mortgage when the 5 years fixed rate is up. Good advice on this thread

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/i-have-an-ulster-bank-tracker-%E2%80%93-should-i-consider-fixing.228533/

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bre26

Hi I have just under 12 years left and tracker is .75% above ECB rate, and owe 143k , any ideas what to do, thinking of fixing for 5 years @ 2.95% - Just so confused!

0.75% - leave it as it is.

In the UK they now expect inflation to be under 2% by early 2024 (BOE statement today) and the market is pricing in rate reductions at that time.

BTW, if you are KBC, they won't give you the 2.95% - they give you 4% but allow you back on the tracker.

Advertisement