Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Internationals 2022

Options
  • 29-10-2022 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭

I couldn't see a thread for this year's Autumn Internationals.

The matches start a little early, with Japan against NZ now, and Scotland playing Australia later today.

So far NZ up 21-3 near the end of the first half. NZ's first 2 tries had questionable passes, with the third being a fantastic set play from a lineout.

Japan just scored to make it 21-10 as a type. It's looking highly likely this match could turn into a very loose game with the ball being thrown around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

And Japan have scored another lovely try. They're definitely up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Retallick red card, dangerous clear out, nz commentator trying to talk it down but always red

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I can't remember the details but when SBW got the red card it was the first that nz got for ages. Now they seem to get them with similar frequency to other teams.

Go on Japan

Unlucky Japan, NZ management will be under pressure again. Japan are great to watch, just need a bit more grunt up front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

Good effort from Japan. All you have to do against NZ is play with intensity and hold a decent defensive line. I think Japan got away with a bit at the breakdown, but generally played a really good game.

What's was the story with the final Japan try? I had to mute the TV, so couldn't hear what was being said. It looked like a knock on?

Yeah I thought they'd disallow it. Cane knocked it out so no knock on is what I think the tmo went with. In fairness the NZ commentators both agreed it should stand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Some brilliant games throughout this year

ire v Springboks

france v springboks

eng v nz always a belter

really looking forward to some games

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

A reminder that the TV rights for games hosted by Six Nations unions have changed this year, VMTV will have Ireland’s games and the two non-test matches (Ireland A v NZ A and Munster v South African XV) and Amazon Prime will have all the games, including Ireland’s this time (but not the non-tests).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

VMTV in Standard Definition unless you have a Subscription Service.

Beyond a joke In 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

New Zealand are facing similar problems to those Ireland faced a few years ago. Their attacking patterns have yet to develop even amongst their strongest 23. So as soon as they rotate players into the side their play becomes disjointed to an even greater extent.

They scored 38 points today, but they're not playing with any sort of fluency or continuity in phase play. Their best attacking moments are coming off pre-planned moves from line outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Great performance from Japan - they are a major positive to rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Their best attacking moments are coming off pre-planned moves from line outs.

The Joe Schmidt playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

On the evidence of this game NZ are in trouble. They were lucky to win when at least one of their tries could have been called back for a forward pass and I also thought the ref was hard enough on Japan and reffed their defensive breakdown more harshly than that of NZ. But more significantly, Japan's discipline and line speed in defense forced NZ into errors and bad decisions, panicky kicking and generally poor play. Their subs tightened it up somewhat but still they couldn't finish off Japan who were dead on their feet in the last 15. I just don't think NZ have the players right now.

I just watched the Scotland match and I don't envy their fans.

I just watched the Scotland match and I don't envy their fans.

Reading through the report, it looked like a close game, they should have won?

NZ have had that problem all year. If you can bring good line speed and aggression to them. They panic. Most unlike NZ, which is why they might need a more structured platform with starter plays to fall back on.

They should have won and should have put the game away early on. Errors and a couple of periods of losing concentration cost them, along with some poor box kicks and brutal penalty kicks. Oz are decent but Scotland should have made Murrayfield count but couldn’t.

It reminded me of so many nearly days for Scotland.

As for NZ, yeah, set plays are one area that’s working for them, but they just don’t deal with pressure well these days. Telling that even down a man in the scrum they crushed the Japanese pack but in play Japan dominated physically more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Note Ireland vs S. Africa is on VM2. Think I'll watch Amazon Prime for better PQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

There's a huge John Cooney shaped hole in that Scotland team

Cane replaced by uncapped Billy Harmon. Dane Coles, Jordan and Retallick (probably) out, Whitelock a possible return for Wales and the Barrets back. Maybe it's a wash but NZ are a little stretched. They've been hot and cold game to game and probably got a lot of rubbish off their backs in the Japan game. Still though, best chance Wales have had for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

If Wales win vs NZ for first time in almost 69 years it will be watched by only a fraction of the TV audience that would have watched if it had been on BBC/S4C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

So England put players names on shirts to help identify individuals during the Autumn internationals.

And we respond by camouflage. That will help the Spectator wouldn't it?

This is pure stupidity. Beyond the fact that I think that Irish alternate jersey is ugly, I would also question the point of it? It's still going to clash with teams wearing green or blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I actually think Ireland's home jersey would clash less. Its a crazy decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Hi

Will the games on Prime be available to people living in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Including Ireland’s this time which wasn’t the case last year.

Literally there is only one team in the world we need to change strip against. Yet we keep making the alternate strip as close to theirs as possible. It’s kind of bizzare.

Apparently in a couple of years we will have to change strips against any team wearing red as part of a new World Rugby directive around helping people who are colour-blind also.

I've always liked our historic white alternate kits too.

Yeah I don’t see the issue with white. Or even predominantly white.

• Advertisement

I suspect the issue is Canterbury's. If you're an Irish rugby fan who buys shirts, the likelihood is you might already own a relatively recent white-ish jersey, so they keep coming with the quirky designs.

Advertisement