Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

Were hotels getting extra money for providing meals to the Ukranians? Just wondering if the Government announcing that there will be no food provided going forward will make even more hotels reconsider their contracts.

Also if a hotel has a mix of Ukranian and international protection people presumably the International protection crowd will still be getting fed, they're making such a mess of all of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

I think the fact that the vast majority of hotels were housing refugees purely for altruistic reasons should mean that not getting paid to feed them won’t have much of an impact on the availability of rooms for refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

It's when things spiral out of control like this you see countries turn to offshore processing .

Australia, UK, Spain and many others.

Perhaps all of Europe's Ukrainian refugees need to be in a centralised processing area and then allocated to different countries around Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You're ever a groundswell of brainstorms, but I don't think District-9'ing the situation is viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The Vacant Homes Tax will not be effective, as once you live in the house for 31 days, it is defined as not vacant, and exempt from the tax.

It can be empty for 330 days, and not be taxable.

• Advertisement

Also doesn't apply to people whos houses are vacant because they're in nursing homes. 1/3 of the houses on my parents street are unoccupied because their owners have been in nursing homes for years and there is no impetus on them to sell or rent and even though the people who used to live there will never live independently again, I doubt any of their children would feel comfortable disposing of their posessions while their parents are still alive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

If someone had such a thing a few short months ago they would be labelled a racist, far right etc.

Nah, they wouldn't have been. Pro-Ukrainian posters on here have been saying for ages that they shouldn't be getting hotel accommodation, three meals a day provided and full dole. I do wonder where they're supposed to get their meals, though? You can't cook in a hotel.

you don’t want the place to go to rack and ruin you start by control your borders…and putting limits on the amount of help and how many people receive it.

You don't want the place to go to rack and ruin, you don't have a housing policy that rewards developers for hoarding land banks, and property owners for keeping properties vacant, in the middle of a housing crisis. We have border controls. And the limit on amount of help wouldn't start with people who've had their country invaded, their homes blown up and their families raped and murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

There was the group in Killarney who were unwilling to move to Westport. And the local charitable spokespeople and business people rowed in behind them.

The group in Killarney had been there a while; many of them have jobs, many others have kids enrolled in local schools. It made absolutely no sense to move them to Westport so another group could be moved in to Killarney. (Westport is also lovely, a gorgeous part of the country. I'd happily go on holiday there, or in Killarney, but we've only gone on one Irish holiday in the last 25-ish odd years because Ireland is so expensive for holidays at the best of times!)

I doubt any of their children would feel comfortable disposing of their posessions while their parents are still alive

Well, they almost certainly couldn't sell their parent(s)' house, because it'll be tied up in the Fair Deal scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What we are doing is actually detrimental for the Ukrainians.

It needs EU united support through the winter by EU citizens.

But accepting any Tom Dick and Harry in Ireland who says they are Ukrainian has now started to turn people against taking more Ukrainians in as seen by todays polls.

Bravo…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

What is the government's refusal policy? It's not as if Ukrainians has got other options out there. So just the government looking as if they're doing something.

All the while they are fast tracking the building of modular homes for them but never mind about our own homeless and those on housing lists.

This is just a bitter rant. I have my name on the housing list for a year. I shouldn't have to wait 10+ years to get a place when they are fast tracking building modular homes for Ukrainians. There's something so unfair about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I think the homeless should camp out on these modular home building sites and not allow Ukrainians to move in. It might sound racist of me to say it but our own should come first.

In district 9 the prawns weren't allowed to leave. You can't be putting your own spin on it and saying it's my crooked idea.

There are two many stories starting to pop up such as :

"we are a couple currently in Netherlands who want to come permanently/long term to Ireland. We need an apartment "

Professionals looking for jobs and a permanent move.

These folks aren't refugees, they are taking advantage of the situation to bypass immigration and visa rules. Economic migration

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Ukrainians probably don’t have a problem with modular homes , someone seeking asylum is likely to be willing to live in unconventional circumstances

Modular houses are expensive for what you get vs traditional houses

They only last 60 years

They lose value as they get older.

They are not a solution. Bad state investment

• Registered Users Posts: 40,008 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You think other people should put their safety at risk so you can get a house? Why don't you camp out?

Building sites are dangerous places, especially in the dark, encouraging anyone to dwell there is beyond reckless.

We spent years opposing modular homes as a solution, for good reason, the only benefit they have is speed, which is actually debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This though is part of the problem, we as a state have a problem managing all these Ukrainian and non Ukrainian refugee and asylum seekers. The state needs to use whatever accommodation assets it can use to best effect, so if that means as a refugee you're happy out in Killarney but the state needs you to move, then you move. This wasn't an isolated case, I heard others housed in various places that didn't suit them and wanted to get to Dublin etc. This pisses off ordinary Irish folk, our kids might like to live in Dublin say but haven't a hope of affording the rent there even if they can find somewhere. So why should the state be bending over to facilitate the wishes and whims of refugees???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

If what you're saying is true, why did the good folks in Killarney rally around the refugees? Maybe your opinion that it 'pisses off ordinary Irish folk' is a minority one? Are the folks that helped in Killarney not ordinary Irish?

And the problem your kids might be having with rents in Dublin didn't start with Putin's war. I predict once that war is over, which can't happen soon enough, and the Ukrainian refugees here start to return home, nothing will change with rents in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Pretty sure homeless have different worries right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

From interviews I heard, more than a little of the campaigning in Killarney was by business people. They didn't want to lose a handy source of cheap labour that they'd just trained up.

You know full well what I mean - there is a growing realisation that many refugees and asylum seekers are getting it too good here. And that there is a creeping sense of entitlement in some.

As I've stated multiple times, we should provide reasonable shelter to Ukrainian women, children & elderly, on our terms. As for Ukrainian men who are eligible for service of same nature back in Ukraine, they have NO business being here and should be returned. And we need to call a halt temporarily to international asylum seekers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Let me give just one example of the madness thats going on.

A little village 5k outside of Castlebar called Breaffy,population approximately 1000.

It has a lovely hotel complex called Breaffy resort comprising of two hotels and a sports event centre.Last year one of the hotels was given over to Ukrainians,it's houses 350.The community generally supported this,the Ukrainians integrated well,found jobs where they could etc.Any of them I talked to are very grateful of where they are,their main concern is when they can go home.The local school of course is overwhelmed, you can't get into a GP etc but the situation is accepted by most as an emergency and temporary

Now the sports arena attached to this hotel has being converted into a direct provision or "international protection " centre.This was done covertly over a period of 3 weeks.A team of workers were brought in from the North rather than anybody local to keep it under wraps. The locals are furious with these underhanded tactics where a community of 1000 people now has to deal with 350 Ukrainian refugees and 200 "international protection" refugees,one in 3 people in this small village are now refugees. The hotel took the government blank cheque but its the community who pays in reality.This news broke on the same day that Michàel Martin said we have to do more.The anger is palpable.

It's not only a question of what was put into the community but also what was taken out.That hotel complex was the main driver of tourism in nearby Castlebar.Restaurants,pubs,beauty salons,barbers,shops,too many other things to mention are going to suffer and a number of them are going to close ultimately because of this decision.

All local councillors and even TDs aswell as locals were blindsided by this,why would a government department feel this is the way to go about things?This is wrong,there's simply no other argument.

If you think you're not effected by this then think again.This and the knock on effects are coming to everybody's door in the country.

THIS.HAS.TO.STOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

have you a link? A quick google shows:

which housed the former vaccination centre. Quote from that article:

The new centre is one of the finest of its type in the country with a range of support facilities put in place. Some concerns being raised across social media in relation to the centre are unfounded.

A number of local elected representatives have visited the site.

It is located beside the Breaffy Woods Hotel which is accommodating 300 Ukrainian refugees whom have been made very welcome in the local community.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

They rallied around the Ukrainians as they were getting replaced by 100 odd male asylum seekers. Here's the knock on effects of replacing tourists with Ukrainians n asylum seekers, who could'a guessed it?! Literally no one!

Irish Examiner: Loss of more than 3,700 Killarney hotel beds 'decimating' town's bars and cafes.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40994321.html

Im not sure what you're asking me?

The sports arena as per the link you've posted is now an "international protection " centre as I pointed out.Its also attached to the Breaffy Woods Hotel which is now an Ukrainian refugee centre again as I pointed out

I would disagree with the contention that if one of the finest in the country of its type,its bunk beds in a sports hall.Theres a viral vid doing the rounds which isn't hard to find but I'm not sharing it as it's filmed by a right wing,anti vax,Ukrainian basing racist.

Also just to note,the editor of the Paper you link has ties to the hotel owner and is not an unbiased source.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

You believe the local councillors and TDs did not know about this. That is a bit innocent I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Strange. If the councillors are not actually running the council or even informed of policy, who exactly is running the council?

If I had read my posts even 3 weeks ago I wouldn't have believed it,it's literally unbelievable.I don't blame you for questioning my posts are it sounds so outlandish, I'm in shock myself.

To answer you're question,a government department contacted the hotel and then this was a done deal.As little as two people were involved in this situation,that's scary in a democracy.

This is the point I'm trying to make,this is not normal or acceptable even in an emergency situation.

It doesn't really matter what anyone thinks at this point,the tide will turn pretty quickly,any right minded person can see this can't continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Just post the link, as easy you say it is to find it, I'm failing on that challenge .

• Advertisement

Advertisement