Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭byrne249

I meant mortgage rates, the ECB rate in that scenario would be approx 5% which I don't think is utterly impossible, indication of slowing rates is obviously the more likely of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

True.Could be walking into another EUROZONE crisis if ECB go too hard though. It is hard one to gauge.

If more and more EURO Countrys go into recession (Ireland will be one of the last if it does occur) then rate increases could come to halt sooner than we think

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/amp/2022/10/27/energy-crisis-half-of-eurozone-countries-are-heading-for-a-recession-imfs-chief-predicts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

I see Leo is spouting more doublespeak saying ecb rate rises will help push down prices and help people buy. While he isn't wrong he fails to mention the higher monthly mortgage payments. Good news for you though as you are more or less a cash buyer by the sounds of it. Id be tempted to wait 6 months to see how further rate rises go. You are not renting so no panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Exactly. People are talking like the sky is falling and buying is now or never.

In 5 years' time we could be sipping pina coladas and buying apartments off-plan in Bulgaria.

I've been looking to buy for the past 4 years. 4 years of people saying "this is the peak, it'll burst in 6 months". So I just bought a house. Feck it, I need a place to live. The house will do me come what may for the next 10 years at least. My mortgage is locked in for 5 years, and I can easily afford the repayments. I don't care what happens in the next few years. I'm not planning on selling it, so it doesn't matter if it loses 30% or gains 30%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Do not, I repeat Do not let them into your apartment, you’ll never get them out, when it comes time to sell they’ll have a list of excuses why they can’t go, and there’ll be nothing you can do, be very wary about letting anyone into your property at the moment, obviously if you need rent money to cover the mortgage do, but if not I’d let it sit there until we know where we stand with this eviction ban etc, I’ve had the same around a property I have, not a chance too risky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The rules as they are now means you'd be mad to any temporary housing favor's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

foreign qualified teachers are more than welcome to come here .. but will they stay in dublin once they discover that there is no where decent or affordable to rent or that they cant afford to buy a house in dublin .. will the new foreign teachers we would gladly accept stay in dublin on current wages after tax or will they too start to wonder why so many irish teachers are fleeing en masse to dubai, canada, australia or down the country and away from dublin as fast as they can..... we have the same problem for other professions too e.g. nurses, gaurds etc. it is not specific only to the teaching profession

its more than uncertainty about ukraine many small businesses that survived the last crash in 2008 are closing this time simply because they cant afford the electricity prices .. after christmas period will tell alot which direction things ar going ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭fliball123

Why are people making this point about teachers, its not just teachers there are a whole swarm of low paid workers working in Dublin and not getting enough wage to live there.

I assume if you're closing a business you're not really in the market for a house to start with.

• Advertisement

its all the workers that will be let go as a consequence that i would be concerned about .. and the overall knock on effect on the economy, government revenue, expenditure, debt levels and general consumer confidence plus ability of mortgage holders to repay loans rather than individual business owners who may/may not buy a house .....

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mike_cork

But this is a thread about the property market no? I get what you're saying but I'm not sure where you're going with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

Congrats on buying a house ! Honestly I would avoid this and other similar threads as it can add to anxiety when people speculate where the market will go. You bought a house, no hassle of renting, it is all gravy!

If you asked someone who bought in 2007 what they think about someone else buying the same property next door in 2013 for 70% less what do you think they would say?

It shouldn't be this way but thats how it is with this boom bust farce. Its not right. Maybe once anyone buys they should unsub from these threads as the previous poster said. It would only melt your head.

The person who bought in 2013 paid more than the person who bought in 2000.

The lad in 2007 paid less than someone in 2019.

Honestly, the value of your house is irrelevant unless you're going to sell or leverage that value. All that matters is your situation right now. You may as well be flipping coins trying to predict the property market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

He said He is not paying rent!! So the rent argument is not valid!

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ask him would he swop places with the lad that did not buy in 2006/7 and could have, could not buy from 2010-2018 because he could not get a mortgage for his forever home and would not buy a cheap apartment. He then started to wait for the next crash to buy and is now heading for his late thirties and paying 25k/year in rent with his spouse and kids

Slava Ukrainii

Don't do it! You will never get them out of the apartment. You are better off having the apartment free and available for viewings. You don't need some willy nilly fair weather friends to stay in your way of selling the apartment. Also apartments don't sell very quickly so keep it free.

Living the life

Im not tryin to piss in anyone's cornflakes here. I agree with these comparisons. What Im trying to get at is we've been failed by FFG by even having to call the top and bottom of the market. I just cant agree with the idea that it shouldn't matter when you buy if you are not planning to sell soon after. Disagree if you want but its the result of complete mismanagement of our economy by those paid handsomely to ensure it doesn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Even in 2015/16 when the government was starting to put in place supports for FTB to encourage builders to start building there was a substantial swell of opinion against it.

The other choice was for government to engage in a large public building of social housing. If they did that at the time there would have redirected a large portion of builders away from any private house building.

Brexit and COVID complicated things. Brexit because it pushed demand in Dublin for commercial buildings ( which we probably have too many of now for WFH due to COVID)

To say that they have mismanaged the economy is not correct, every other country in Europe would love to have the Irish economy. Our problem is we have a low historical housing stock.

Historically our build labour is very mobile and still is. I know 2-3 young lads that are my eldest lads age that are working in the UK and Australia.

Workers from elsewhere in the developed economies in Europe ( Germany, UK, France, the Benelux countries )are not as mobile as they do not have this historical mobility.

Dublin of all the places has exactly the same issue the population that is there 3-4 generations are not as mobile as workers in the rest of the country

Slava Ukrainii

If a country can't house workers and allow for growth due to its housing situation being a disaster thats mismanagement of the economy to me. Especially with our heavy reliance on big tech companies choosing to locate here. On government policy back in 2015/16 I dont think theres anything wrong with helping first time buyers at the bottom of the market. However to still be interfering at this stage is criminal. REITs should have been banned long ago also. The global or European wide argument is presented a lot and is definitely valid but we see time and time again the Irish government make terrible policy decisions that leave us with the vastly shittier end of the stick when compared to other countries. Other countries who dont throw the people under the bus for vested interests as much as our bunch of crooks do.

Anyway is the housing market softening? I think it is but its too early to know for sure The next 6 months will be telling. Theres been a lot of chicken licken calling round these parts for saying that but its my opinion. The speed of whats happening with the cost of living and rates rising is shocking. Of course the other argument is lack of supply. No-one knows for sure.

House prices are dropping. Fact. They seem to stay on the market for way longer in the last 4 months. You do see drops between 25 and 50 k.

The prices are unsustainable at current moment.

I still wonder who are the buyers who can afford houses around 600k and more that need a lot of work. Even if you can do the improvements yourself, prices of materials are really high.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 20,023 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Definitely houses staying longer on daft around Cork. Just saw once house that’s been up for over six months drop from 440k to 400k, interesting to see does this help shift it. Nothing obviously wrong with it other than being a bit unorthodox in design.

6.96kwp South facing

I'm seeing something similar, but I'm putting it a lot of it down to bandwagon jumping.

Someone in an estate sells a house for a big price and immediately there's 4 houses in the same or worse condition on the market listed at that price, and they're hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

Well it is odd how the Irish market works though. 6 months ago a house in our estate went sale agreed for €560K and 2 months ago got sold. It was a 3 bed room and sold for over 70K the asking price.

Now a 4 bedroom is on the market for the last 3 months at 540K. But house "A" went sale agreed in less than a month and yet house B has hung around. I would also say House "B" is better than house "A", as it is owner occupied vs the other one that was rented out and will need some major refurbishment especially kitchen and toilets. That being said, I am not sure if house "B" has an offer and the owner just wants more than asking price.

But just odd that the market can go from one extreme to m'eh so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Well in that time IR's have gone up. The US, Canadian, Aussie, and NZ markets turned south quite quickly after IR's started to go up in earnest. I wonder is there any reason to expect otherwise here?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yes but the person who bought in Dublin in summer 2012 bought at the same price as those who bought in 2002 , obviously you can’t time things to perfection but I don’t think I’d ever recover from a 2007 buy after what followed

it’s likely that was a twice in a century crash however so anyone who can buy now probably should, personally I would not buy a “ stepping stone “ house , I know a couple who bought a mediocre house in May of this year in Kildare for 250 k , they were renting a much bigger and newer house off me for 1330 per month, nothing would do them but leave and buy down the road, suspect their mortgage today is creeping towards what they were paying in rent

• Advertisement

Yeah, but that's the point.

It doesn't matter that prices were cheaper 5 years ago, or that they could be cheaper 5 years from now.

If you need a house to live in long term, and you're paying rent at a similar rate to a mortgage then just buy the house. It's far more than a purely financial decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement