Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Theres a viral vid doing the rounds which isn't hard to find but I'm not sharing it as it's filmed by a right wing,anti vax,Ukrainian basing racist.

Viral vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

I already pointed out that I'm not sharing that on a national platform as the guy making the vid is a right wing racist.If you want I'll DM it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

errr ten million visitors who contribute to the economy.. who pay in not just look for something or everything free gratis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

That's a lot of exaggeration?

That hotel complex was the main driver of tourism in nearby Castlebar.Restaurants,pubs,beauty salons,barbers,shops,too many other things to mention are going to suffer and a number of them are going to close ultimately because of this decision.

Castlebar is going to collapse because one of two hotels and a "sports complex" that not that many people have heard of (*) is closing to the public? Pull the other one! Yes, Castlebar and Westport are somewhat over-dependent on tourism. Tourism in the west is mostly seasonal, though, and that season isn't winter.

So a hotel that would have been - if not closed, at least on reduced staff - is remaining open over the winter. A tourist who probably would not have actually gone to visit a barber while on their weekend break (!) will stay somewhere else in the area. A refugee will get a roof over their head, and will still need a barber or hairdresser at some point over the next couple of months. A hotel gets a fixed income from a contract over the quiet winter months. Win-win-win?

(*) It appears you're just talking about a hotel's leisure centre. The Breaffy hotels/leisure centre aren't mentioned in Mayo's own "top 10 things to do in Castlebar." They're not mentioned in Tripadvisor's top 20 things to do in Castlebar. Maybe not all that crucial.

I think it was a case of better the devil you know. Families were being moved to allow made refuge seekers in. Can’t say that I blame the locals.

• Advertisement

Seems the government is belatedly doing what should have been an obvious first step back in February, and seeing what all the other EU countries are doing. Better late than never, I guess? Hopefully this will result in more appropriate aid - e.g., full dole for those in tents, reduced social welfare for those in hotels with 3 full meals. I don't see how you can house someone in a hotel with no cooking facilities, not provide them with meals, and cut their dole, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Why would you distribute right-wing racist videos?!

That’s a good move and the right one. It’s better to have the Ukrainian refugees in self catering accommodation, even if they have to share a kitchen with others. It gives those unable to work something to do. Cooking for themselves will occupy them physically as well as mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They were only disallowed from leaving in the movie because they had technology to exploit. In the preamble the people of earth very much don’t want to care for these refugees and want them to leave contrary to your argument here. And by putting refugees in concentration zones are you not suggesting they aren’t allowed to enter other countries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

It’s the usual shenanigans in Ireland when any public money is handed out. This time the business is people. Corrupt to the bone as per

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Again you brought a movie about Aliens into it!

I said Ukrainian refugees should get out of harms way into a centralised processing space and then be allocated to different countries

No more Aliens please

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 40,008 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

How is that relevant to the posters point which was blackouts.

I'll give you a hint, it isn't.

Also there is 10,000 Ukrainian's now working here, I am acutely aware that is a very uncomfortable fact for the Gimme, Gimme, Gimme Brigade.

Christ,

This is what wrong with trying to have a discussion with someone who is completely clueless.

I fear I might be wasting my time here and I dont mean to be confrontational but this is close to the bone for me as I run a small tourist based business that won't survive this.

There are two hotels (Breaffy House and Breaffy Woods) a sports arena and a leisure centre on the complex. Breaffy House is a well known resort and is open all year.The Woods Hotel is smaller and seasonal,the sports complex is used for exhibitions,dancing competitions,weekend events, drama events ,sports events.The leisure centre is as the name would suggest a leisure centre (I never mentioned it and it has no relevance to this situation so I'm not sure why you brought it or TripAdvisor up)

The Woods Hotel was given over to Ukrainians and was widely supported by the community. I supported it even though I knew it would directly effect my business (my business was down 70% this year but I'm not going to lie and say that was solely down to the situation in Breaffy,it was the main factor but not the only one)

The sports arena is as the name suggests a sports arena,it's now full of bunk beds and cubicles and "international protection " refugees have been bussed in there since Thurs morning and all day yesterday.

The conversation of the sports arena was done without the knowledge of anybody (Tds,councillors or general public) If you saw the set up you would agree its madness.

The Woods will never be a hotel again,when/ if the Ukrainians can get home it'll be an " international protection " site.

I'm a lot more familiar with the dynamics of tourism than you in this area.Its too late for this area now,its a done deal.This is happening all over the country now and no matter what you view is of it today it'll change when the realities hit home.

It's saying permission problem when I click on your name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Where is the 10k figure from?

Thats very impressive

Build a city for them maybe. Good way to keep the economy ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

I still don’t believe that the local politicians did not know about this, I suspect some of them at least are lying.

You are correct though that it is permanent. Look at Lisdoonvarna where it has been made permanent with refugees from new locations being taken in on a regular basis. The tourist industry is being intentionally replaced with the refugee industry. It’s a more efficient industry for maximising profits for the usual small number of connected individuals.

Bingo. It’s all about the money at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

Is it not very "right wing" and "racist" of you to be speaking out against this international protection centre, same as the person did in the video you mention...

You're right to be skeptical, it doesn't sound believable but I'd know a couple of them well and they were genuinely blindsided.

Several have gone on record.

You're correct about the tourism industry being replaced.I find it hard that some people still can't recognise this is happening. I guess some are slower to join the dots.

Maybe some have copped it but think " ah shur it won't effect me,I never stay in hotels,rip off ireland,I go to Spain for half the price " That's not how it works,if the tourism industry is completely hobbled it'll directly or indirectly effect the whole country and everybody in it.

The guy in the vid is wrong about nearly everything he's ever said,I know him.Hes a fringe lunatic, people would cross the street to avoid him.

Unfortunately it was his vid that broke the story,they'll be no more vids as the next day there was security guarding both the entrance to the carpark and the building itself.

To speak up about what's happening is not right wing.Will you be calling our government right wing when the current policy changes? It will change by the way as the scale of this craziness becomes apparent to the general public.

I support Ukrainians being here even though it directly impacts on my livlihood.I think it's the right thing to do.

The Ukrainian crisis will pass,some will stay,any of them I talk to will go home.The "international protection " scam has quadrupled since last year and the numbers are only going one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,008 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Varadkar said almost all of the Ukrainian refugees who have arrived in Ireland have secured accommodation, that there 12,000 Ukrainian children in schools, 10,000 people in work and 1,000 people studying in Irish universities. However, he said there is a “severe accommodation” shortage.

Also word has been put out.

The Ambassador said she wanted to "underline" her gratitude to the Government and Irish people for welcoming Ukrainian people here and providing them with accommodation "under such horrible circumstances".

She said that the Embassy is aware of the accommodation problem in Ireland and that efforts have been made to communicate this with Ukrainian people who may be thinking of coming here.

"I recorded a video message for Ukrainians and we shared on Ukrainian media and on our social media of our embassies, the information that the Irish government cannot guarantee accommodation for Ukrainians because of lack or absence of such accommodations," Ms Gerasko said.

The ambassador said she asked Ukrainians to consider planning to go to other countries.

Bloody ungrateful woman, should be expelled immediately, something, something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yeah you keep talking about concentration camp n racism. Meanwhile we'll keep taking them in with 80k here by Christmas. Let's hope ye yanks can hit you're very generous 100k figure, hope it doesn't put ye out much. It is very far to fly them though says u, so who knows!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Looks like I've a load more posts to delete

Stick to the topic as you will be threadbanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

the ambassador is very ungrateful

Fair enough, I bow to your superior knowledge of Castlebar tourism - it's decades since I was a regular visitor, because as I've said, I've always found Ireland way too expensive for anything except weekend breaks. I mentioned tripadvisor because you were saying the "sports arena" was a major draw, and frankly I've never heard of it (and I'd know a bit around athletics). I've subsequently found links to 'Breaffy International Sports Centre' - it has a page (with two lines of text) on Mayo Coco's website, and 'Breaffy Sports Arena' (same place?) has a directory entry on a site called https://ie.locale.online/breaffy-sports-arena-70275377.html - so it may not have been the draw you think it is? I also came across a facebook page for the latter which has some out-of-focus photos of things like an Irish-dancing-in-scary-wigs competition and a "lip-synch battle", whatever that is.

I agree with you, permanent removal of amenities is retrograde, but this won't be permanent. The war in Ukraine won't last forever, the vast majority of Ukrainian refugees want to head home, and the government's stated aim is to end direct provision - so I don't see the likes of this sports arena being kept as a direct provision site. It's not in anyone's interests. And from what you're describing, it really doesn't sound suitable, in any case.

Totally agree also that better communication is necessary. The problem is - as has been seen in other locations - non-locals arriving in to meetings to stir things up, to the extent that proposed venues end up getting burnt out.

Source for your 80k by Christmas, please?

50,000 here now plus 1,500/week (at current rate) until end December is 62,000. Even if the rate was to double to 3,000/week from Monday, it'd still only be 74,000.

I mean, debate the issue, but at least let's debate it with vaguely realistic numbers rather than ones plucked from thin air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The gall of someone telling someone who lives, works and depends on tourism in an area, that you know more about their town than them because you did a google search. Breath-taking.

Also, got any sort of link to your crazy allegation that “venues end up getting burnt out” if word gets out it’s to be used??

Advertisement