Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 adjourments and counting

• 29-10-2022 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

So, I was charged with non payment of a taxi fare in 2018 (complete bull, I paid, he got lost, wanted more money, rang the Gardai).

5 times I've attended a court date and every time it hasn't reached me on the list. Naas court, absolute disaster.

That's 5 days off work for nothing plus travelling expenses etc. Also, I'm pretty sure my solictor will charge for each date but not 100% on that.

Is there anything I can do here or is this the norm in the Irish justice system?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You could start a judicial review and also take a constitutional challenge. A lot would depend on the reasons for the adjournments.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭the 12 th man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Every reason is because my case hasn't been reached. Last Thursday I was number 201 on the list, they managed to get to number 66.

This is just not acceptable now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It would hasve been adjourned as a result of not being reached. There would have been an announcement at some point that all remaining matters are adjourned.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billgibney

Probaly caused by Zaiden running his mouth off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Is there any merit in an application to have the case struck out on the basis that the defendant is being dealt with unfairly and unjustly by being brought to court repeatedly and not being dealt with. Justice delayed, justice denied and all that jazz.....

Alternatively, could the defendant approach the prosecution to complain about the situation with a view to having the matter struck out on a consent basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭phildub

There are people sitting in prison over 3 years waiting on circuit and central criminal court trails that keep getting adjourned. The application cam certainly be made when the matter is called but I don't know that it necessarily has merit.

If the case is called and all parties are present and ready to proceed the judge will proceed. These long lists are a direct effect of adjournments due to coivd and unfortunately all cases cannot be struck off for this reason.

The 'Justice delayed justice denied" adage is more about not being able to properly defend oneself due to passage of time and death of witnesses or witnesses now not recollecting etc. It's not really about the length of time it takes the matter to go through the courts, once it is able to proceed once it is ready.

I know the whole thing is very frustrating, the courts know they can't get through the lists so they really shouldn't be brining the defendants in under these circumstances. You might get lucky and the garda could be just as fed up and not show up when the matter is called, in which case your solicitor would be fully entitled to ask for a strike out.

Advertisement