Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ugly side of Ukraine joining the EU

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Stories huh. But all the ones you’ve frantically googled don’t support that claim? In fact one of your stories mentioned they made an IED out of a mortar, if they were getting in regular shipments of munitions, or even irregular shipments, I doubt they’d have to Jerry rig such a piece to fashion a bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

So AGS are lying? I’m done. No point arguing with someone so entrenched.

LMFAO, you haven't provided any reporting from the AGS, just personal conjecture about stories. You're jumping a bit far to say I'm calling the entire AGS a pack of liars - we needn't go that far. Suffice easily to merely say you've presented without evidence what can be dismissed without evidence - and what you presented as evidence was critically considered for content, hence my research and remarks about the RPG-22, etc. and the observation that none of the reporting frantically googled to date actually has demonstrated the point you were trying to make: that bombs and military equipment are being smuggled into Ireland in the modern day and post-Troubles, as a refute to the claim made by another poster. Suffice to say you could opinionate 'it could happen' - absolutely it could. But the evidence presented here hasn't confirmed it has truly happened.

It has happened. I gave a link to it happening.

“And they found the rockets -- one of which has been identified as a Russian-made RPG-22

They do not think they were part of the shipments of weaponry smuggled into the country by the Provisional IRA, prior to its ceasefire.

Three years ago a joint operation by gardai and the Serious Organised Crime Agency in Britain foiled an attempt to smuggle rocket launchers and other weapons into Ireland for the McCarthy-Dundon gang in Limerick.”

Yes as I literally already said that's a rocket first made in 1985 and we have no way to evidence the rocket made its way to Ireland after the Troubles, which is what you are trying to argue with this article.

There's an RPG-22 or two in Ireland yes but this doesn't prove what you've been trying to argue. You've only shown the police foiling post-Troubles efforts to do so.

• Advertisement

Did you miss the second paragraph?

They do not think they were part of the shipments of weaponry smuggled into the country by the Provisional IRA, prior to its ceasefire.

They ‘think,’ and they do not know.

Circling back to where we agreed earlier, it could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Before even talking about them joining the EU a question that needs to be asked is who is going to be footing the bill to rebuild the country?

Everyone knows the talk about getting Russia to pay for it is just hot air because it won't happen.

Even if all the 27 agree to grant them membership which is doubtful it will probably take years after that to make them a full member.

I don't see what benefit it would be either, have they got anything to offer the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

let Russia, the UN and the Ukraine debate that. It’s got SFA to do with EU countries, EU citizens and their / our resources.

spent billions here and probably trillions across Europe, across the EU housing Ukrainians, giving financial support, giving healthcare, childcare, travel / transport and more besides to Ukrainian people.

they have very little if anything to offer the EU. The EU isn’t a babysitter/countrysitter or country rebuilder..

Ukraine…they have EVERYTHING to gain by being accepted as members however but the payback will be negligible… I can’t think of a single benefit to the EU, EU countries, EU citizens of having the Ukraine as members…

GOOGLE : ‘Ukraine Corruption’ … it’s actually scary….

no way in hell should it be contemplated… this is MUST READ

• the Ukraine applied to join the EU… 4 DAYS AFTER THE RUSSIAN INVASION

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Ukraine is an agricultural powerhouse. From a food security POV alone they're pulling their weight from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭brickster69

9 million tonnes knocked out up to now Yurt under this agreement. Found it quite sickening hearing an Italian minister pleading to send more to those most in need this morning.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Actually Croatia and Greece were fast tracked through even though they did not meet those EU accession standards.

So the EU may also fiddle the rules regarding Ukraine.

Advertisement