Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a used bike in NI

Options
  • 28-10-2022 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi guys, longtime lurker here! it’s been a while since I posted. hope someone can help, I have my eyes on one or two motorcycles for sale in Northern Ireland, just trying to figure out the process of changing the reg over to a ROI reg, because obviously I live down here. The bikes I’m looking at are generally 2019 bikes and before.

Am I right in thinking I will need to keep the V5, and make sure the seller doesn’t keep the whole thing, just only sends off the corresponding part that they need to the UK authorities?

Also, proof the bike wasn’t brought into NI after Brexit ~ 2020?

On the V5C is there usually a section stating when and where the bike was first registered? IE in Northern Ireland ( not UK mainland)

Any help would be great guys, before i bite the bullet I want to make sure of course!😊

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yes, you will need the FULL V5 in your hand. If the seller is in any doubt, it's actually written on the V5 itself that exported vehicles need to have the V5 going with them for the new owner to register it overseas. No V5, no sale.

Get a receipt from the seller, dated. (handwritten is fine).

For exports there is no part of it he has to send off - he can just tell the DVA by letter etc. (he could keep a photocopy and post that off)

If it has previously been registered in the UK it should have the date it came to NI on it and/or the previous UK reg (if it didn't get a new NI one). If you're doing a vehicle search (Cartell etc), then it should show that up too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Honestandy

Excellent stuff. The dealers I have been talking to have told me they only have the V5, no other documents supporting that the bikes have been registered or owned outside NI. I guess my follow up question is, will the V5 suffice for the VRT process? From what I understand in the website, as long as there is evidence or it’s clearly stated on the V5 that the bike was originally registered on NI, all I will have to pay is VRT? Is this more or less correct? Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Malolan

Hi, I just registered my fireblade which I bought less than two weeks ago in the North. I bought it from a private owner so you may want to check the process of buying from a dealer.

Basically to avoid paying brexit customs you need to make sure that the bike was registered in NI before end of 2020. You will find this information on V5 form (NI logbook), there will be address of the owner and date when the bike was acquired by him/her/them. Ask the owner/dealer for the V5 form.

You will need an invoice (if buying from dealer) or handwritten declaration (if buying from private) stating the details of the bike (make & model, reg plate), date you purchased it and amount you payed.

These are basically two documents you need to get from the seller.

You have to fill up and bring to the VRT office the VRTVPD2 form, proof of your name and address (invoice from Vodafone, bank statement etc), proof of your identity (driving license or passport), proof of your PPS number (P60 etc).

Book VRT appointment as soon as you bring the bike to the country, there is plenty of dates available but you must complete the whole process within 30 days.

These two websites are handy with information on VRT and importing vehicles to ROI:

NCTS and Citizeninformation.

As I said, I bought my bike from a private seller so you may want to review those two pages in regards of buying from dealers.

There is also information about buying a bike from NI which was brought there from the UK after 1st Jan 2021 but I didn't go that route so will not comment on this.

Shout if you have any questions. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

if the V5C is dated before the cut off point and has an NI address on it that should be fine.

I had to show a ferry ticket for my bike coming over to ireland before the cut off as the V5C was reissued to my name last october.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

This was a great help, thanks for the post.

Was it just a flat rate of vrt you needed to pay or did you also need to pay VAT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Malolan

I only payed the VRT and for my blade it was 134€ plus the environmental management cost fee on tyres, it was like 3€ or so. Then of course the 88€ motor tax plus ROI reg plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Brilliant stuff, so it looks like bike shopping over the border is on the cards again.

Nice one, thanks for getting back to me.

Advertisement