Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

They are pushing for sales in my area too even though NBI is probably 2years away (had an email saying survey done estimated install July to Dec 2024) so I'm dreading how bad it will get in the meantime. Having said that I'm getting 80mbps down at the moment, maybe related to my call? Upload is under 3mbps though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Killed

Has anyone had an issue with connecting with apple devices, the connection keeps dropping but the Samsung, amazon devices are connecting ok to the imagine broadband.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I lost connection earlier this week and they decided to completely reset the router , now following that my speeds have gone up significantly.

Previously the connection was fairly stable getting about ~70Mb/s down and about 8Mb/s up , but now I'm getting over 275Mb/s down and ~20Mb/s up..

No Idea where those speeds came from but they've been solidly at that level for the last 3 or 4 days.

Long may it continue I guess..

You're lucky! Mine gets to 100+ after midnight but rarely hits 20 in the evenings. Been sliding for the last 8 weeks or so and had the router reset in that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Is anyone having daily droppages with all lights on the router lighting up except the SYS?

When I ring imagine tech support they say that's very unusual. They then tweak the frequencies to avoid "interference" from neighbours routers etc and tell me to monitor it.

It's happening all month now. Getting very frustrating and I know I'll get nothing off them in terms of compensation.

• Advertisement

I've been having a lot of dropped connections but not sure what lights are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shee7

Apologies if this has been asked already but I have a NetGear router I want to use with my Imagine broadband.

I asked Imagine for the router logins and they gave them but I can't find an option for bridge mode.

Model is WVRTM-127ACN.

Wondering if they only gave me user access and I need an admin profile? Or is there a way of configuring within the logins they've given me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Is there any particular feature in that Netgear you need to use? If not, why not use Netgear as access point? Disable DHCP in it, plug an ethernet cable LAN to LAN and enjoy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shee7

No just the router itself would be better equipped to handle the volume of devices I intend to connect to the service.

Forgive me, i'm not well versed in the technical side of things. In the past I had ftth with VM and OpenEir. In each case, I followed steps to configure the modem the service provider gave me to bridge mode or modem only mode. I then connected that through to the Netgear router (Nighthawk).

I assumed I would need to follow similar configuration steps to set up the router in conjunction with the device Imagine gave me. Are you saying I can take the router and connect it directly to the cable coming in from the outside? Am I not missing a modem then somewhere?

Thanks

Unregistered Users

Nope, doubt that replacing Imagine's router would work. Log on to Netgear, disable DHCP, set its LAN address to be in the same pool as Imagine's device, save and exit. Then connect each other with ethernet cable plugged into LAN ports.

I wonder how many things you want to connect you afraid it wouldn't handle? I currently have approx 60 various devices up and running without a hiccup. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭dollylama

I was chatting to Imagine last week as I'm putting in a new router to support a VoIP system we're putting in. They say they can put their router into bridge mode for you if you request it

Separately, does anyone notice when doing heavy upload on the service that it goes to the dogs? We get good stable speeds (approx. 150 down, 10 up) but whatever it is about their configuration, anything that involves upload kills the connection for all. I know a few big businesses using this service (20+ office employees) and they have the same issue. It's a pity as the service is fairly good but perhaps they need to tweak something so client uploads don't swamp the connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭rodge123

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They have to put it in Bridge mode for you.

Give them a call and ask for it - They'll ask you to send them an email accepting responsibility for any issue that bridge mode might cause but other than that they'll do it within a few hours.

Basically the email will say something like

"I accept all responsibility for any security and DHCP related issues as a result of setting my Imagine Router to Bridge mode"

I have a Netgear mesh setup that I've been using for the last couple of years.

The one caveat I'd add is that some older Imagine Routers do not support Bridge mode - My original router which was installed about 5 years ago couldn't support Bridge mode so when I wanted to change I had to pay for an engineer call-out (€100) for them to replace the router and the external aerial/receiver. But if you're router is more recent it should simply be a configuration change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Ive been with Imagine for 7 years now, Cappagh mast. Service has always been hit & miss but generally useable... over the last few months it has become woeful - no connection for hours, any upload crashing the connection, etc..

Ive been onto Imagine a few times but today took the biscuit - they messed around with settings, move me to a different cell and the download became ~40mb but upload still 0.7m. yerman says to me that 0.7mb is the "best youll be getting", depite the fact that ive been 7 years on the same mast getting ~3mb ul. "everyone on the mast will be getting 0.7mb" he says.

So, Cappagh is totally over-subscribed and ul is contented to unuseable levels.

Just wanted to note that here in case anyone is thinking of using Imagine on that site.

Off to Starlink I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭rodge123

Yep on the same mast and uploads kill my connection too. NBI can’t come fast enough!

Internet down last night 8pm to 10pm, patchy again this evening. Gone from averaging 90Mbps a few months ago to probably averaging 10Mbps now, if I can get a connection. NBI 2 years away so no choice but to stick at the moment but would advise anyone who can to look elsewhere

Unregistered Users

I wish I had NBI 2 years away - my area shows estimate as end of 2026. :-(

My speeds are down 60% since April / May and Imagine thinks that's fine. Netflix is unwatchable 6-11 every evening their solution is to reduce the streaming quality nothing to do with their crap speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

Service Down in North Cork

Local Broadband Message Hi - Our engineers have identified a fault which may cause a disruption to your broadband service. We do expect this fault to be rectified quickly. We will continue to keep you informed and updated with further messages to come. Thanks Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭kazamo

My latest bill has a lot of contact numbers starting with 1890. Not sure when 1890 numbers were done away with, but Imagine still quote them.

Not a great sign 😕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Just had call today with imagine and was going to meet them next week for installation. Thats off now thanks to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

finally got NBI yesterday! Looking forward to cancelling Imagine but on balance they did fill the gap while waiting over the years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Got my router password from Imagine yesterday only to then realise I don't know what the username is. Anyone have an idea, is it something generic or based on some sort of account identifier?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Stewball

Anywhere you look up mast locations and the amount of people using it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No, the only people with that info is Imagine themselves and I doubt they would share it.

edit: Sorry you can find out where the masts are but not how many are connected to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Just wondering if anyone has experience with trying to port forward with an Imagine router that's connected to a second router (in this case a TP Link Deco mesh system in 'router' mode)? The service I'm trying to access is on a server connected to the second router and is accessible through its local IP and port just fine.

I've logged into the Imagine router and set the port I want to forward and using canyouseeme.org I know the port is reachable externally. I've set the local IP on the rule to the IP of the Deco router. And on the Deco router I've set up a port forwarding rule with the server and the correct port.

Am I missing something obvious here or is the only way to make this work switching the second router to access point mode so it's dumb as a brick and is essentially extending the Imagine router's network? I don't see any option on the Imagine router to switch it to bridge mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭dollylama

You have to request imagine put their CPE into bridge mode. This disables the WiFi radios on their unit and you get issued a static IP. I had it done some months back and there was no issue, they rang me when doing it and again afterwards to check all was good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I've been with Imagine for over 2 years now and generally speaking I am very happy with the service in terms of speed and connectivity. Rarely any issues there. However, my big bugbear is their data cap / fair usage policy.

We are not heavy users by any means (no gamers in the house - yet) but I WFH most of the time. My typical average daily usage is around ~30GB and that has me hitting ~900+ GB for the month, which has me uncomfortably sailing close to the wind. So, at least every other month I get their snotty warning via email that my usage is way in excess of the "average user" and basically advising me to reduce usage - or else! Fortunately I don't think I've exceeded the 1TB in a single month yet but I'm uncomfortably close. If they carried out their threat and throttled me I'd be snookered, especially given my WFH situation.

I actually think their online portal where you can check your usage is buggy as hell anyway, it always seems to show 0GB for off-peak which can't be right and today it seems to be completely down. How can they expect customers to monitor their usage if their portal can't be relied upon...

Does anyone know or have any inside info on whether they plan to tweak their fair usage policy? I'd even be happy to pay a little more if it was upped to 1.5TB we'll say... If / when FTTH comes to my area I will jump ship but it really would be for this reason alone. Speed/connectivity is fine but there's no comfort in having high speed broadband with a cap on it. I can't imagine how it would work at all if you had a couple of teenagers in the house glued to their xBoxes.

Advertisement