Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempting to destroy famous paintings because fossil fuels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

China has about 1/3rd the energy consumption per capita as the US. US is 12,000 kWH per capita, China is 4,000 kWh, India is 800 kWh.

Ireland is 5,100 KwH per capita. It's not india that needs to clean up its act first. It's us.

https://www.worlddata.info/europe/ireland/energy-consumption.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Watch as militant climate activist glues himself to talk show desk – before security lift it away & tip him to the floor

Mr de Graaf is a self-described “intersectional activist, campaigner and strategic advisor”.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

🤣🤣😂Remember 🤣 Its 🤣 Not me making a fool of you 😂 You are the one pretending to understand stuff that you do not have a clue about.

This is a very important issue - You and me may not suffer the most

but we have to think of people other than ourselves. Many more will suffer if we dont take the problem seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

How much did the sea rise then in this melt off ? How much of the ice melted 00000.1% or 100% Remember we don't know the thickness of the ice sheet.

• Advertisement

lol was it even glue did not look the type to want damaged skin. Probably hand sanitizer. 😀

Thats better - at least when you are asking stupid questionns you arent copying and pasting extracts and pretending that you understand them.

I forwarded links to you previously to explain your questions - Did you read them?

Just give me the main thing that you do not understand - ok two things about the climate crisis (that the consensus of science agree is happening)

and I will forward you the relevent (reliable) information or summarise it and provide a link - Hows that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Destroying art is far from radical.

Greenpeace are / were activists, chasing oil liners around the oceans takes cajones.

People who destroy art are Tossers and utterly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Did you ever hear of a term or concept called 'less harmful'?

What do you think that means? In real terms.

To stick with the smoker analogy used earlier, do you think the Dr advising the 60 a day smoker with developing cancer would tell him there's no point cutting down to ten a day, or would he tell him that even 59 a day would be an improvement?

No one is suggesting that it is possible to move from a state of concern to an absolute perfect scenario, so stop trying to pretend such a thing exists and that that's all you are waiting for.

FFS. Nobody has destroyed art.

How is it you believe something was destroyed, which wasn't in the case of the art, and something isn't being destroyed, which is, in the case of the environment?

• Advertisement

But the technology is not less harmful is it. It's dirty and environmentally destructive. Also made by burning coal in China. Less harmful is a relative term in this case. Now Nuclear if less harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Vandalising art is not an artform and whilst it highlights their activism it is not endearing, to me anyay.

I love the enviroment, throwing cans of spagetthi hoops on verneers wont change that.

I'd be pissed if the Library of Alexandria had really been burned down because of a simple and unavoidable social grievance, so yeah.

Nobody bats an eyelid when Shell gets property damaged, they're faceless and worth hundreds of billions. That's true enough.

Art, etc. can be utterly irreplaceable, and utterly priceless. It can hurt to see it destroyed.

On the balance, climate activists would argue that the planet and the climate and the ecosystem equilibria are all irreplaceable and priceless.

Perhaps a few hundred years from now the only thing we will have left of old earth is the paintings of when it was blue and green. That would be apex tragedy. I'd trade all the works of art on earth to keep the earth alive.

Admittedly, we live in perhaps one of 'the dumbest timelines' and I'm not sure I have it in me to say most of these activists are truly the dumbest ones. Though I will say I cringe to see many of the humiliations they have brought upon themselves in the past few weeks. At least everyone is discussing the climate, and I think on the whole the world discourse has changed from 'are we causing this' to pressing forward and debating the agenda of making a green transition a reality, either way. Where I definitely detract from them is the idea that fossil fuels will be utterly banned or become a taboo technology etc. or any such consideration, there are far to many things produced and derived directly from the reaction of fuels (polymers, alloys, etc) that make up the built world.

Hay thats good

There were a few on here outraged at the damage to the glass covering the painting "the sunflowers" but seemingly didnt know or care that real sunflowers are going extinct.

Rain falls upward for some a these lads😵

I agree mostly

Can I just point out that we dont need to stop using fossil fuels for polymers lubricants ect.

we just need to stop burning them.

I admire the activists they have brought a lot of heat on themselves - they are braver than I am but they are fighting for a good cause and I agree with you they are being remarkibly effective in highlighting this crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

If you glue your head to anything, art or otherwise, you waive your right to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Energy consumption only really matters when you realize what is the source to create said energy.

And no. It is not us. If we want to be petulant and go in some more details with your "energy consumption per capita" we are way far behind following countries: USA, UAE, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, New Zealand, Luxembourg, Kuwait, Korea, Canada, Brunei, Bahrain as all of them are over twice of our consumption.

Sweden and Finland consumption is double of ours, Norway triple actually, and they are getting rid of their respectful ministers of green nonsense yet we are supposed to be the last one, retarded child left in the class? Thank you but no.

Iceland is over 3x more than USA and 7-8x more than ours. Make them lead by example, make them pay...

Btw you still failed to address point of what would happen if 7/8 of the people come even close to the current consumption of 1/8 (so called golden billion). Because they are heading that way.

Your arguing about us having to cut our consumption is moot since rest of the global population, 87.5% are on a way to significantly increase their consumption. Is this green movement another hidden colonialist agenda in disguise - how to keep 87.5% of people broke so the rest (us) can have it easier?

• Advertisement

How so? They did what they set out to do, get the topic on the news.

How about if you throw yourself in front of a horse, could that ever be taken seriously?

I would wager the same types wonder why glue does not stick to the inside of the container. Well until what ever solvent evaporates. 😁

Nothing.

It's your post, you spent last night complaining about there not being enough context about a post that showed (amongst other things) the volume of ice disappearing in recent times.

Here, you post a link with no explanation or detail. Why do you expect others to do what you won't do?

But there is context Hydrogen is the Green hopium. Maybe I should have said that ?

To a point, or we need to burn them more sensibly. The crude is broken down into a lot of different things and none or few of those things can be produced in isolation, which is where your byproducts come by, like bunker fuel, etc.

The conundrum is if you want to produce lubricants, virgin plastics etc. you need a market for all the other products in the chain, etc. and most plastic sadly is not infinitely recyclable, the polymer chains break down.

In perpetuity it would be fine to run this process if there is sufficient a carbon sink for the waste. Forests etc. provide that. We exacerbated the problem though with explosive population growth and converting many natural forested areas into farmland and ranchland globally, which led to more demand for energy and cheap materials, etc.

Interesting - so it is not ecenomically feasable to use the same process just to get the products that we do not burn .

Maybe there are substitute products or alternative processing methods just to get the products that we do not burn from crude????

It's an extremely complex process you cannot for example guarantee the conversion processes. Why you get less Diesel from oil than petrol. Also see the Diesel/Gas part. Not all Crude is the same. You basically waste energy if you don't try and process everything out of it. Several thousand different hydrocarbon compounds in crude.

There are bioplastics for example, and of course agriculturally derived oils from vegetables etc.

I haven't looked into it, but I'm sure it has its ups and downs.

Once we could replace every product on the list I think we could as a civilization, make the transition off fuels - but that's probably never going to be practical. At some point the largest demand for fuels will be from space industries. At the same time at that some point you could reasonably fly some vessels on less potent stuff like gasoline, if they have no need of taking off from the ground etc. and the ramifications of carbon exhaust to space would be astronomically negligible. By contrast to today though if the electric car transition happens fast, in the next 10 years etc. then some kind of bubble or burst or depression is going to happen in petrochemical derived products because there will be almost no demand for gas, or, gas will become so useless and cheap people just burn more of it to mine crypto on their gas powered GPU etc. and it's going to be a very disruptive few years where nobody is **** happy really.

Gasoline Power Plants are probably up next then. Burn the gas much more efficiently through turbines stacked to the gills with economizers and ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Comparing Nelson Mandela and Rosa Parks to these tossers is an insult to these 2 great individuals .... they suffered real racism real hated real deprivation whereas these current vandals have it soft ... so soft they can go out and protest in a warped way instead of working ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm still waiting on your explanation of how to manufacture a wind turbine without the use of fossil fuels, so how about you stop asking other people to make efforts you wont, or more likely can't.

Speaking of fossil fuels, and apart from burning coal - do you stil have the Pajero, the R6 track bike, and the 15' speedboat?

To say your support for anti oil protesters seems a bit odd, given your love of things with hydrocarbon guzzling ICE engines and coal, is putting it mildly. Wind-up, comes to mind.

Advertisement