Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

Ah lads, this start is up there with the worst of us.....

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Absolutely brutal.

Not got off the bus

Edit: Ospreys 9 looks a tidy player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Jack Aungier is looking the part

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Connacht deserve to lose for the state of that barnet alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Jesus Murray…That Mullet! He must have spent a summer in Australia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Looking better now! Great runs by Farrell and Hawkshaw for our second try.

Much better 2nd period of the 1st half. Should really be further ahead but good to see us turning things around. Need to drive on now.

Also kudos to Jack for 2 very good conversions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Some very bad stuff to go down 12-0 obviously but massive defence off the 50-22 to avoid Ospreys being nearly out of sight.

Byrne, Porch & Wootton can hopefully click and cause some damage, lot of pace there

Closer than it should have been but that’s a huge win and a big improvement on similar games in recent seasons.

Being a bit more pragmatic with some more kicking is really paying off, reality is there is no need to go from own 22 and it hasn’t been a positive over the last couple of years.

Pack impressive again and Blade with Carty managed game well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

impressive is not the word

so light, again

poor game

A win is a win vs Ospreys A

Hawkshaw is the real find the summer, unexpected leadership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

A win is a win.

Leaked 3 tries without osprey ever really looking dangerous so definitely something to work on there. Didn't think the forwards got motoring at all in the first 20 but took over from there. Silly mistakes in the attacking 22, but you can copy and paste that for every game this season.

D Murray looks a big physical player, great to see. Put in a massive shot on their replacement loose head in the last minute that stopped him dead.

Munster up next is something we can target, which I wouldn't have dreamt of saying 4 games ago. A win there would really seta us up for a tilt at the rest of the season. We'll have bundee back so the question is where do we fit in hawkshaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ernie McCracken

Atta boy Carty. Stumbling around like your a 90 year old man. Soon Hawkshaw will take over your years of honourable service. Brave heart came on for a cameo in place the much superior Dowling I do t know what he offered if not a bit of bite in the hearts of the men around him inspired by his hairdo. Connacht keeping it real keeping it Celtic and giving a bit of munch for the brave hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Jack has been so rubbish for so long at what point do you say let's call it quits

While there are quite a lot of obvious work ons overall.

Once we went 12-0 down so early that is a game we would definitely have capitulated in previously and ended up losing quite badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I'd keep him at 12 and move Bundee to 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

What are you on about. Jack played well tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Fully agree on this. The early errors could have resulted in them dropping their heads and succumbing to demoralisation, we saw a bit of that last season. While it was a pity not to get the bonus point, it was almost more satisfying seeing them grind out the tight win. Our mental strength just received a major boost. I love how vocal Hawkshaw is, behaves like a captain :)

Darragh Murray had a good debut, the argument for Fifita as a NIQ lock is weak now that we have such strength in the row. Considering who we've lost (Ultan and Quin), and the injury crisis we had there just a couple of seasons ago, that's pleasing. Illo's was industrious when he came on. And congrats to Byrne on his debut, will definitely be an asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ernie McCracken

Aye, but you have to admit that wig was fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

With Joe Joyce coming in too, you’d imagine Fifita will be gone in the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Of course, you're right, I forgot about Joyce.

What are going to do with all our second rows? We might have to convert Dowling to a 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Jack should really be retired at this stage. This experiment has gone on far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Give over with the retirement talk. thats incredibly stupid thing to say regardless of how poor a player may have played.

The delusions are as strong as ever for some posters here on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

It's not even a full moon

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Awful start but a win.

Thought 1 of their tries was short and I thought Aungier had a good shout for a try, neither reviewed.

Pity to give Ospreys a lbp and pity not to get the BP ourselves but a wins a win. Thought jack played very well,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Throw me into the Carty was decent camp. That dropgoal was absolutely crucial to put us 10 ahead. That kinda thinking could've swung some close defeats in the past 5 years in our favour.

Was fairly impressed by Wootton considering his lack of gametime. DTM starting to allay fears we had about him not breaking into the side in the past couple of years with another good showing too. Delahunt will have a lot of work to get back into the 23 when he's fully fit.

Lads Hawkshaw is so good with ball in hand. If he builds even a metre of momentum he can make 8 or 9 metres off it and commits 3 defenders to stopping him.

I think not hitting a TBP tonight and against Munster show how much work is needed by a potential new coaching ticket but the players are there. The win tonight was the important thing to keep momentum going.

Not the prettiest of wins and the BP would have been nice but that's one we would have lost the last couple of seasons. A good way to end this block of games and keep building some momentum. Before the block started I think we would have all been happy with 3 wins and a BP especially after the first 3 games.

Defense is massively improved not withstanding the occasional mistake, lineout both on out ball and opposition is really showing the work being put in.

Attack still a worry but with the emphasis being put on defense in training I guess that's to be expected.

All in all pretty happy going into the international break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Porch was great .

• Advertisement

Watched it in company so didn’t see it as closely as normally would but from what I saw bar an early penalty and a harsh late penalty when Connacht scrum was driving forward well on top, the scrum was very solid and the line out was good throughout. Don’t think we were turned over at too many rucks either and had some big turnovers on them.

Wasn’t porch badly at fault for the third try? He’s had a very solid start to season regardless

Advertisement