Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The CSO publish figures regularly on the number of Ukrainians who have arrived, the number working, in school, where they're staying, etc.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Also, got any sort of link to your crazy allegation that “venues end up getting burnt out” if word gets out it’s to be used??

Yes, crazy allegation one: hotel in Rooskey, Jan 2019 - https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/nobody-was-seen-entering-probe-into-suspicious-fire-at-hotel-earmarked-for-asylum-seekers-37700702.html

Crazy allegation two: hotel in Moville, November 2018 - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/donegal-hotel-earmarked-for-asylum-seekers-set-on-fire-1.3709782

Crazy request: an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I dont why you are surprised.

Remember hotel in Achill.

First it was 70 young men, then when the locals complained and got uppidy it became men, women and children.

Notice how in one of the articles on this it mentions 200 with a hyphen mentioning women and children.

The fookers are learning how to try market this.

And why the flying fook are we taking any other nationality when we have thousands upon thousands of Ukrainians showing up that we can't accommodate.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No one was ever charged for either of the “sources”. So how can the motivation/reason be known??

If you know more about the fires you’d be better off calling the Gardai rather than posting crazy speculation on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Haha ill give you a hint, you don’t get to decide what’s relevant or otherwise :) The ‘thread’ isn’t just about blackouts. You simply don’t get to control or sway the narrative of the discussion.

10,000 working, marvellous.. hopefully they have every ability to contribute with the same gusto many seem to exude when it comes to being of the ability to ‘benefit’ from the assistance of Irish citizens and taxpayers . 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

The ones they wanted to build had a life of only 10 years IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Haha ill give you a hint, you don’t get to decide what’s relevant or otherwise :) The ‘thread’ isn’t about blackouts. You simply don’t get to control or sway the narrative of the discussion.

This isn't a 'gotcha' it's a self-own: the person you're quoting didn't mention the 'thread'

How is that relevant to the posters point which was blackouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Regarding the question on whether the government were correct in using no limits, now that we are full and beyond, any kudos the government got are over. The good reputation and credit that the country and government got is over, we are now getting negativity, which will get worse.

The Ukrainian ambassador has turned on us and imagine the stories she is communicating behind the scenes. This is where virtue signalling without substance gets you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Cheers, this is why I asked, could see 7k, but not 10k in any statistical data.

Forgive me if I don't believe Varadkar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

To be clear, this was your question:

Also, got any sort of link to your crazy allegation that “venues end up getting burnt out” if word gets out it’s to be used??

I gave you two examples of exactly that happening - word gets out about venue, venue gets burnt out.

But hey, maybe you're right, and it was probably entirely coincidental.

Which leaves us with the fact that The Powers That Be are presumably saying "oh, look, when we mention use of a venue, there's an entirely coincidental increased chance of that venue catching fire. Maybe we shouldn't mention venues?" Which does nobody any good, because then people rightly complain they weren't consulted...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The ‘thread’ isn’t just about blackouts.

I think you just poked yourself in both eyes, impressive. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

if I did I don’t think you’d notice such would be your one eyed myopic attitude to your debate on these subjects but it’s an amusing aside 😉

It will be working or looking for work like last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Have you ever been to Breaffy? It is/was a fantastic spot with good tourism & sports facilities with adjacent state woodlands.

The state have no business plucking this from the tourism industry in the area. Would you be in favour of taking say Dundrum Shopping Centre in Dublin, kicking everyone out and converting it for refugees? Probably not I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Yes. I read about that one. A place called Puckane. 12 three-bedroom thatched holiday cottages next to Lough Derg were bought/almost bought by some property firm in Dublin for 2 million euro with the intention to house 70 refugees/economic migrants in a village with a population of just over 200. The locals are not one bit happy about it and one would hardly blame them. It is disgusting what is going on in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

So I take it, you think the guy is not wrong about this issue then, as the video has clearly done you a favor by highlighting an issue you seem clearly opposed too and making it easier for you to speak out?

I still find it ironic that you say it is not right wing to speak up about what's happening but call someone in a video highlighting an issue you are also against as "right wing".

I think alot of people use these terms and for the most part do not understand what they mean.

For example 40yrs ago someone who may have described themselves as left wing would be calling for peace, while today the supposed left wingers are calling for an escalation of the war and increases in "military aid"

Resorting to using labels in reality will only distract you from your real concerns, there is right, there is wrong, and there is moral or immoral...

You probably have more in common what are supposedly "right wing" beliefs than you think. I'm sure more people will come to realise this, as when as you say the "craziness becomes more apparent to the public".

As for the government being right wing, history will tell you that the political backgrounds of the two main parties in response to societal trends of the day were what would be considered as right of centre/conservative, but that's not trendy policy right now, so hence the mess you find yourself in.

In time reactionary politics will lead to the so called right wing policy change you really want, and see a reversal of these decisions.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Despite my warning this US flight nonsense continued

Overheal and Tonesjones threadbanned

And a reminder to the rest of you - remain civil or you will be following them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

You'll forgive me if at this time of serious real life consequences I don't get sucked into a right wing left wing juvenile twitter style bullshìt situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭glen123

Why wouldn't one work 2 days and keep their social welfare and free accommodation and meals? Or even work full time when they've no expenses on rent, bills and food?

When they find work, they aren't forced to leave hotel accommodation to find their own place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Latest Irish times/MRBI poll shows the majority concerned there are too many refugees coming here.

The only important polls are the ones where people actually vote. Most people see the importance of supporting victims of oppression and war…….until it comes to their doorstep. Interesting times ahead.

• Advertisement

That's odd though when FG/FF are up in the polls it's great news. When they are down in them they are no longer important. 🤐

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Needs to be clearer options in this poll regarding Ukrainians crisis versus growing "international protection " situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

Fair enough if you don't want to have that discussion, but it is a discussion forum after all, and people will respond to things you say, and points you make, that is the idea.

I'm really not trying to provoke or challenge, I'd be actually quite sympathetic to the predicament you find yourself in. All I'm trying to point out is that if it is as bad for you as you are saying, you might be better off setting aside any prejudice or bias you may have about people who are portrayed as far right or whatever, as they may not be quite as bad or lunatic of people as you think.

Are there more people in your community that feel the same way as you, getting together with like minded people sharing concerns at a grassroots level is your best chance of dealing with this.

I, like many on here don't like seeing what is being done to communities, villages and towns up and down the country. The solution will be about community movements coming together in a peaceful way to find solutions to help change what's happening.

Post edited by Thou on

We’ll have to wait and see. Plenty posters on social media….but do they bother going out and exercising their civic duty and actually voting? Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Are you suggesting we have a referendum on refugees? To gauge public opinion?

No. I think that we’re doing the right thing re Ukrainians. It’s the Putin factor. He cannot be allowed ride roughshod over democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

The Ambassador may be turning on us, as you put it, but at least she’s looking out for her follow Ukrainians by trying to discourage them from coming here as there is no room.

We could do with the same loyalty here from our own politicians, instead of burying their head in the sand pretending it’ll be grand, while the whole thing severely impacts the Irish people.

Completely spineless government are causing irreparable damage to this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

We're doing the right thing by saying don't come here as we can't house you. Is that what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

I definitely feel the tone towards refugees is changing, even in the media. We simply cannot accommodate and afford to feed that many hungry mouths. The Non Ukrainian refugees should be turned on their heels and bye bye, especially the absolute chancers.

I have heard locally of certain demands that were placed on hotels to provide this and that. I really feel the hotel 'residents' should have went out and bought these things themselves out of their generous weekly income.

I can see a lot of communities fighting back and saying no to housing a high number of refugees and they are well within their rights to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Yes, the tone is changing. It's actually quite refreshing that we can begin to talk about practicalities and numbers in a mature manner without it descending into a left/right thing.

It now seems obvious that around 50,000 was the magic number we could take in. I suspect government knew that all along, they just didn't want to advertise it as to do so would have brought in a rush, particularly as early on it seemed our offer was a lot more generous than other countries. That should have been corrected long ago, but they've waited until they got to the magic number, to save face.

Now we get a slow drip feed of information about longer terms and perhaps permancy for some. The problem that leaves for government is that it probably means eating into the proposed social housing pipeline at some point. The selling point will be that the Ukrainians and other foreign nationals are taking up jobs we won't do.

Advertisement