Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurbished/Secondhand or New PC?

Options
  • 28-10-2022 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

My self build PC of many many years went black screen and wont even POST no matter what I do or don't do to it (back working after a while so wouldn't have the time to build again and would rather to plug and play again I get one)

The nephew is going to try his PSU tomorrow, but after that its old old tech and no point attempting to find matching spares and work your way through what's likely gone

I'm looking for basic web browsing, downloading etc., the most CPU intensive be converting music

I have 2 SSD, windows OS activated, then obviously screen/keyboard/mouse

I'm not sure on price, like I've seen 200 up too 500 plus, suppose mid of cheap and worth it to last/future proof

Only real MUST is 4 or 3 USB3 ports at the back for external drives and phone if possible, lan connection (did see some without it)

Thanks for any and all ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just a very quick look came up with this box HP Elite 8300 SFF Quad Core i5-3470 https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-i5-3470-3-20GHz-Professional-Computer/dp/B071KWKYPW/ (4 USB3) . I'd get the cheapest one which would have least memory and an old mechanical hard drive then put at least 16GB of RAM in it. With 16GB of RAM upgrade that would cost in pounds around £160.

My experience and I have bought a few "refurbished" computers typing on a similar spec machine now is that the cheapest route is definitely to get the lowest spec and upgrade. Sometimes you can really cheap out on the CPU and upgrade that but normally I'g go for the best CPU in relation to the other components. Obviously don't forget to look at the original manufacturers specs for any refurbished PC so you can see what upgrades might be available and what internal room you have. The one above has a slimline case so you'd want to check it could take your 2 SSD's.

Probably better ones out there for the money just takes some time looking. Check adverts for the guys that regularly refurbish PC's and ask if they will supply a working one you can put your own SSD's and RAM in, saves them time and you money.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Anyone any ideas for Windows 11 ready or even pre installed machine

Just too future proof it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭horse7

God that's a great price , I got an elite refurb from Amazon awhile ago,it's super quick just use a SSD drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I wouldn't bother buying upgrades. There are loads of ex Office PCs for sale on adverts with 8 or 16gb ram and 256 SSDs on Android adverts. Try you get the newest you can stretch to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The OP has the SSD's and you pay more than 16GB of RAM would cost if you buy an 16GB machine rather than a 4GB.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I couldn't be bothered with all that. You can haggle on adverts. Got a almost brand new machine recently for very little. I was looking for one with NVME support and USB 3.1/3.2 and newish CPU. A machine tha is still almost 1k and I got it for 300.

That machine on Amazon while cheap (depending on shipping and import tax) and fine for office stuff is 10yrs old. I wouldn't be putting any money into it.

Though buying the cheapest machine you can that will do for office stuff is perfectly fine.

Advertisement