Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Or what every other politician, of all political parties, have been doing for decades, right up until Johnson and his Trump-lite band of merry men (and women) came along.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's obviously a very pointed attempt to distance himself from Truss' awful comments about Macron at the start of her tenure. It speaks to how far UK politics has fallen that a bare minimum of international diplomacy becomes something to laud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A week is a long time in politics.

And 45 days is too long for some. The damage done by his predecessor in those 45 days will live long in the British economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭rock22

Not really, he made it clear he wants to agree a pact with Macron to manage immigrations across the channel because "the French are not doing enough". That is all, no real rapprochement with EU and no statesmanship either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's exactly what I would expect. Truss was so unintelligent that she didn't realise that her empty virtue signalling would cause the French to kill negotiations on that front. For a certain portion of the electorate, this is something they want to see action on so that's what he's doing.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The 'Moron Risk Premium' as it is called means borrowing is costing about 1.27% extra.

The good news is the Bank Of England didn't spend all of the £65Bn set aside to stop a run on pension funds relying on derivatives (complex things where you bet your house on a sliver of a %, generally they are a safe bet , until they aren't )

It was a warning that current economic practices could be destabilised and need to be changed, but the lesson learnt will be that throwing money at the problem solved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭serfboard

In fairness, I think that Rishi Sunak knows that the real lesson is that if you go to the market without your homework being done (AKA an OBR report), the market will mark you F for failure and dump all your gilts, driving up your interest rates. Donald Tusk’s “sketch of a plan” came to my mind during the financial meltdown that followed.

And again, in fairness to Sunak, he warned during the leadership campaign about the voodoo economics of Trussonomics, but lies are what all the old farts wanted to hear.

This is why the membership didn’t get to decide on the leader this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Pretty clear that Truss was/is an unintelligent shallow individual who is now being used as a scapegoat for twelve years of Tory misrule. No other reason that the phone hacking story mysteriously appears now, or that two Tory journalists all of a sudden decide to lift the lid on her time as trade secretary as one big jolly to get the best Instagram photos.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Yes, and the phone hacking story turns the attention away from Braverman and thus the current government, thereby keeping Braverman in post, and a hopeful government getting some stability. Until the next issue to surface. Cue the Tories going back to being the prudent financial gatekeepers with Labour as attack dogs as that means austerity 2.0.

I can see the Tories getting back some of their faithful following but not enough to avoid an election defeat. I wouldn't be too sure of a Labour majority either.

At the same time, the last 2-3 years have been a political rollercoaster. The next, could be just more of the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,850 ✭✭✭growleaves

What on earth..? That is much shorter than I expected.

How is xenophilia going to solve "the overall economy’s weakness in innovation and manufacturing"?

The foreign-born population of the UK is 14.4% and the foreign-descended population is much larger than that. That is unprecedented historically. If that is the key to large economic growth (how?) then the UK should be seeing that growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Xenophilia? Seriously? What's your definition for that one? You should ask Liz Truss how that was supposed to work out - hint: she wasn't 100% wrong.

I'm bemused that you've managed to extrapolate this from the article. That's not what it says at all.

Xenophobia led to the Brexit vote. Not all Brexit voters are racists or xenophobes but there does seem to be a substantial minority at least in that cohort. Over half of all migration to the UK was from outside the EU. This was entirely within HM Government's control and they did nothing. Why? Were those migrants productive? I don't know. Theresa May was Home Secretary from 2010 to 2016 and she was no xenophile.

It was an imaginary problem used to scapegoat the consequences of years of government policy. The UK's economic problems are structural - poor infrastructure, expensive housing and poor productivity. This is the point the article makes. By all means, reduce the influx of foreign workers but that's not, nor ever will it be the paean that the Leave campaigns promised.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

That video posted the other day really can't be recommended enough, even to thickies that say things like "xenophilia."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭rock22

@growleaves wrote "The author just repeats a couple for paragraphs that 'hating foreigners' has ruined the British economy, doesn't say how or why, then the article abruptly ends. Lol"

You need to re-read the article then. That's not what he says

As I've just said: 14.4% of the British population are foreign-born. A much greater percentage are 2nd or 3rd generation.

The Tories themselves let in millions of immigrants.

The trend over the last few decades is an historically unprecedented openness to outsiders and especially foreign workers.

That is the "open economy".

A constant supply of cheap labour into a country is not going to arrest a decline in wages for obvious reasons.

I'll believe the tired old "immigration lowers wages" trope when I see evidence. Not before.

H. H. Asquith

I could introduce you to business after business that have profited from immigrant labour over the last 30 years, to the detriment of local workers. It was most evident after 2004 when the eastern Europeans arrived.

I wish I could show you written evidence. Very visually evident in the midlands and the north. Labour just got too focused on minority issues and dropped that ball, and then when anyone complained, they get called racist.

Your views but my actual lived experience. I would stand 100% by what I've just written here.

Indeed. The observer poll is showing a remarkable swing this morning on the economy. 33% trust the conservatives with the economy compared to 29% for labour. Last week was 39% labour to 11% conservative

among Tory voters gone from 44% to 88%

(notably that’s a lot that trust neither)

And I stand by my dismissal of such claims unless there's something scientific to back them up. There never is.

It's also notable how the talk of poor wages stopped immediately after the referendum.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Bloating the labour supply bids down wages.

The difficult entry requirements for trades and professions e.g. electricians, barristers etc. in the form of mandatory training and educational qualifications are, in part, protectionist barriers at the local level to stop the wage base of these trades/professions from being destroyed.

The jobs that anyone can do - waiter, cleaner, retail worker, seasonal fruit picker - pay pennies in part because anyone can do them. The people who do them have no bargaining power, they are replacable.

The recent wage inflation in the Irish economy was due to a shortfall of people - many East Europeans went home during covid and there were articles about teenagers staffing shops at one point. Employers pay more when its harder to get people.

We're just rehashing the Brexit debate again. I'm not seeing the point, especially when there's not a shred of proof being posted. If you've got some, post it but I think you would have done so already if you had.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,682 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The UK are finding out since Brexit that waiters are not a "job anyone can do". I was witness to a huge brain drain in the hospitality industry post Brexit and the massive lack of capable hospitality staff actually drove me out of the industry due to the frustration.

In the last post you asked for evidence. In this post you ask for proof.

I gave you evidence: the recent wage inflation in the Irish economy, which no one disputes(?) was caused by a labour shortfall.

Living as we do in a small country we have been able to see directly, and in real time, how a shrinking of the labour pool bids up the price of wages. Scarcity affects labour costs the same as it affects other costs. The inverse, that a glut of cheap labour arrests or causes a reversal in the price of labour can be reasonably inferred.

According to all the statistics they did not reduce immigration after Brexit. Suella Braverman is only proposing to do that now.

Was the UK hospitality industry normally dependent on Euro students?

Btw I didn't mean any offence, just that a waiter is a relatively low-skill job. I would have thought that with adequate training and time to learn it would not be beyond most people.

Like I said. My lived experience and many in their 60s and 70s will attest to it. But you can smugly ignore it. Go to the retirement communities of the the east and west midlands and the north, you'll see and hear the evidence directly from those affected. People who never trusted the Tories, then finding Labour just taking them for granted.

You didn't. You just repeated the same claim and called it evidence. Saying that nobody disputes does not mean nobody disputes and this thread is supposed to be about the UK.

No evidence. I'm going to leave it there as it's off topic.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

I worked in a warehouse company. All low paid jobs, slightly above the minimum wage. This was ten years ago. The staff were a mix of Irish, mostly middle aged or more, and Eastern Europeans.

The Irish could almost all have been characterised as coming from large low income families, all would have left school young, probably at 15. They are the people that Council Housing would have been for 30-40 years ago, people with little education in low skill work. With the availability of birth control, those people are almost non existent in the Under 40 category.

I am currently working in construction, other than qualified tradesmen it is extremely hard to get General Operatives in Construction. People willing to do manual labour are incredibly scarce. Talk to any block layer or plasterer and see how difficult it is for them to get labourers.

There has been a quantum leap in society here and I assume that the UK mirrors us in some way. Mary McAleese in her memoir put it well, her parents were both from large families, where the boys went working in factories at 15-16 and the girls became hairdressers or worked in shops. Her generation got free education, and strove to join the professions and better employment and then with Birth Control the next generation are 1-2 or 2-3 child families where the time and resources are available for the children to pursue whatever avenue they would like.

In my generation (late 50's) there would always have been a surplus of teenage/early 20's fella's from large families around for casual labour for farmers or contractors, when I look around where i live there are none of those people around. Everyone goes to college. Families are way smaller.

Immigrants are currently filling the gaps where low skilled Irish people once were. Walk into any fast food outlet, motorway service station, look at the cleaners in a hospital, very few are Irish. Without immigrants where would we be?? My son works part time in a filling station as he goes through college. Small rural town, all local staff, all on minimum wage, constant turnover of staff, no-one has the ambition of staying there.

I am assuming that the UK is similar.

The whole argument of immigrants lowering wages is nonsense, it is Government's duty to set minimum wage. The changing demographics are opening the need for low paid workers from outside the country.

'The whole argument of immigrants lowering wages is nonsense'

I was offered €19.27 an hour for a Construction Labourer job last year. That is roughly 37k a year for unskilled work.

Low paid workers from outside a country are needed, from a business owner's perspective, in part to keep labour costs 'stable' (i.e. low).

Brexit was protectionist in theory but since the Tories are neoliberal they can't really stand any protectionism. Except Suella B apparently favours it.

Labour used to be a labour protectionist party. Keir Hardie stood up in Parliament and said that Polish immigration into Scotland had lowered the wages of mine workers in Ayrshire. At what point labour protectionism came to be seen as a form of racism I'm not sure - 1960s/70s probably when New Left people came in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,682 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not EU students but EU staff.

Constantly training new staff takes a lot of time and money so when you can get Irish, French, Italian and Spanish staff who understands the culture of the industry at a deep level is a huge plus.

After Brexit it was all young English kids whos first ever trip to a pub was for the interview and had no interest in moving up the ranks or training further.

Advertisement