Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Big Jim O'Callaghan actually had quite a few cuts at FG on the radio this morning. He essentially blamed them for the housing crisis by reminding everyone they were in power for 10 years before the housing 'plan' was produced by a FF minister.

I can see FF TDs changing the rhetoric and making waves when Leo takes over. They will be on an election footing from that point and will try hard to prove they are somehow different to FG. It wont work.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It better not. But seeing as the electorate gave them an opportunity last time out, I wouldn't trust them again.

Coalition competition heats up at halfway point (rte.ie)

Fine Gael has said it will develop its own policies on housing and, according to Mr Varadkar, will examine "what solutions we could bring forward to speed up Housing for All" – a policy being steered by the Fianna Fáil housing minister.

After Fine Gael TDs held a meeting last week to discuss housing policies, the response in Fianna Fáil - where there is a belief that they are picking up the pieces from where Fine Gael left off - was best summed up by Jim O’Callaghan, who observed: "I would be very interested to see what ideas Fine Gael come up with after 12 years in Government."

----------------

It seems FG have been holding back on FF and have all the answers on their housing disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

So how many policies have we had now over the years ? 30 or something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

IT has an Ipsos poll today. FG up 4% and FF up 1% with SF down 1%. The problem is that the last poll was in July so it is not possible to accurately attribute the changes to the Budget but the IT is puffing up FF/FG as usual. Labour was down 1% and that's a loss of 25% of its support since July. ;) The Margin of Error was 2.8%. Ipsos is generally a good pollster and it uses face to face polling. B&A also uses face to face polling. The other pollsters use online/phone polling and that does not favour FF's older supporters so FF always under-performs in online/phone polling. What is interesting is SF's stable support level since the GE.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,238 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

with the likelihood of an oncoming financial crisis, id say this will swing widely in the new year

Already some very worrying trends are happening in the .COM gTLD. The .COM is to the US what the .IE is to Ireland. While the US has the .us as its country code TLD, most of US registrations are in the .COM and the .COM has been struggling for the last year. When an economy is doing well, more domain names are registered and more websites are developed. The .COM and some other TLDs have been losing registrations and developed websites. That's a bad indication. There's normally a downturn in new registrations between April and September but this year has been exceptional in that the rebound that starts in September hasn't appeared yet. The official data is published by ICANN with a three month delay so it is only those of us with access to the zone files (the lists of domain names and their nameservers) that are watching this play out each day. Some people have been trying to attribute the decline in .COM to the price rises in registration fees but this is not supported by the trends. There is an economic realignment in progress and if it is happening in the US market, it will spread. Ireland has more .IE domain names registered than .COM or other TLD registrations so the Irish economy may not be impacted by some of these trends. The economics are worrying because indicators of an economic downturn show up in the domain name market first with increasing numbers of deleted domain names and abandonment of websites.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,238 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

thats very interesting, never thought of that sector at all, in regards potential pre market crash indication, global credit/debt markets are looking truly deadly, and with rising rates, i suspect 23 is gonna become vey scary very quickly, get ready!

Carrying on like children,time to pull the plug on this farce of a dail.

You wouldn't be allowed carryon like this in your job,don't accept it off your rulers either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Sure it would be easy if all you had to do was pull a plug everytime you weren't happy with something.

There're decisions to be made on an ongoing basis I'm afraid and the Dail is all that has the power to unplug itself, not the rantings of a political hack.

I'd agree that this govt has been a mix of bad with only occaisonal good, but it's been democratically mandated for by the electorate, now all we can do is wait till they, or at least some of them, decide that enough is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think you are right about carrying on like children but surely SF's childish budget ideas are for the relevant thread?

Varadkar was 100% correct in drawing the parallel between Truss/Kwasi and SF. You let naive idiots like them run the country and look what happens.

Mate,they are carrying on like children,you wouldn't be allowed carry on like,it in your job....don't accept it of those who position emselves as ruling over you

If they unwilling to do their job,in a competent, professional manner,they shouldn't be in it,time for whole lot to go to the country

The agenda is clear. The minute that a pointed jibe at Pearse "Kwasi" Doherty hits home hard, the moral behaviour police are out in force decrying childish behaviour. Where were they when the childish no-confidence motions were being discussed?

Also feel the qualbbles they got into healyraes was childish,also feel the pricking around exposing Simon Harris as leaking was childish,felt the repeated undermining and laughing at Micheal Martin was extremely unprofessional and said so at the time

You may have missed this,due to not falling inside the domain of your monomania🙂

Everyone says it,the dail is a joke the discourse it's Been allowed descend into....no other parliament in a normal country carries on like this.....we as a country deserve so much better

The FFG legacy and decades of failure are laid bare here...

'Failing our children' - warning over teacher shortage

Principals warn of 'devastating' impact of teacher shortage

Primary school principals in Dublin city say the chronic shortage of teachers in the capital is having a "devastating" impact on vulnerable children including those with special educational needs.

All of these school leaders, as well as others who have spoken to RTÉ News, say the main causes of the crisis are the acute shortage of accommodation in the capital and its cost, coupled with the prohibitive cost of transport.

"Do they stay in Dublin and make peace with the fact that they will never be able to afford a mortgage, that they will struggle to find rented accommodation ... They are going to Dubai, Australia and Canada, and I don't blame them."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The parliament in the UK is far, far worse. That place makes a playground look mature and dignified. Saying that, I do agree. Some of this stuff doesn't help and just sows division and make people more entrenched.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CaptainTeebs

On the "why never vote for FG thread" somebody put up a list of FG reps involved in scandals, mainly of the entitlement or spoofing expenses variety.

It made me think- there has seldom to never been an Irish politician exposed in the media for involvement in topics most beloved of the British red tops, scandals which British MP's seem to get caught up in on a very repetitive basis.

• drug use (cocaine primarily)
    • extra marital affairs, usually with staffers, occasionally with a fellow representative
    • prostitutes
    • rent boys
    • getting a bit handsy while under the influence
    • strange sex (whipping, bondage, all that)
    • orgies
    • allegations of child sex abuse

In the last four years alone I can think of proven allegations or at least accusations against British MP's for all of the above aside from the BDSM one (but I may be overlooking it).

The only scandal I can recall verging on any of the above was Emmet Stagg being caught in his car in Phoenix Park 30 odd years ago.

Do our media have a dont ask dont tell policy on it, or are our politicians simply as boring as they come across (obviously I'm not equating a lack of child sex abuse to constitute being boring before anybody starts)

@jmcc They are talking about new polls on the Brendan O'Connor show. They suggest that FG voters are people that own their own houses, have lots of savings after Covid and don't have any fears around the higher cost of living. The demographics are probably 45+

Wouldn't trust anything O'Connor says without independent verification. The problem for FFG is that all the movements are within the Margin of Error. The FG supporters are different to FG voters because a lot of votes in a GE are actually non-party supporters who vote a particular way. The demographics in the RedC polls and all polls have a higher MoE because they are slicing and dicing even smaller numbers from a small survey. What is very interesting is the stability of the RedC polls in that there has been no movement outside the MoE for the last 4 RedC polls. FG gaining 3% could be due to the Budget but FF losing 1% is going to worry FFers as they may consider that FF is on the way to being the new Labour party and getting absolutely hammered in the next GE.

RedC is a strange poll. It doesn't use a random sample like other polls. It uses a panel of 40K voters that it thinks represents the electorate. That is a much smaller number than the electorate so some panelists will be in more than one survey through a year. That gives it some aspects of a tracking poll where the same people are surveyed continually. FF would have been hoping for a boost from the Budget but it hasn't happened. That could cause trouble for Martin but he only has a few weeks left. Being cynical, the Budget bought some popularity for FG but not FF.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭votecounts

What sort of sick govt puts women with a terminal disease through a court case, barely humane behavior

• Advertisement

Unfortunately our libel laws are too strong, and politicians hide behind them.

MacSharry has resigned from FF. Interesting comment about Martin.

Regards...jmcc

What is interesting is that only a few weeks ago, there were posters on here effectively predicting that MacSharry would return and take out Martin. You would hope that they would have learned the lesson and not be predicting the demise of Martin every single time a nonentity backbencher opens their mouth. Prior to MacSharry, we had McGuinness, O'Callaghan and others as the kingmakers but all have been found to be more mouth than action.

Not a FF voter, but hilarious to watch the hopes being pinned on Martin being taken out. Rather than calling the comment about Martin interesting, a neutral observer would note the bitterness of someone who lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

A permanent ban is the way I predict it will go so secondhand with vacant procession will be worth a lot more.

They could opt to increase CGT on them to make return even.

A utuber presented figures the 2 year vacant then rent at market is the way to go REITs are doing already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭howiya

Be interesting to see what side deals MacSharry extracts from the government in return for his support in close Dáil votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Bit of a drama queen that mcsharry

I really hope that Martin is still FF leader for the next election. A link to their dodgy past and one of the crew that initiated the housing disaster that FFG have created.

Big Jim showed that he will probably struggle to keep his seat in DBS.

I've no issue with Martin being leader of FF, they won't be getting a vote from me either way, but I do find it hilarious the way his demise has been predicted so many times by the same posters every time a backbencher opens his mouth.

The only good thing about it is that it shows that posters believe there is some element of democracy to FF, FG, the Greens and Labour, when they are continually predicting the demise of their leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Thisisthedaywewinaway

Catching up on business poat from yesterday, a 14% drop in new house builds from lst yr to this year is very worrying especially as the hosuing crisis is prob why we are going to be left with a SF led Govt.

Govt need to get Darragh out of that role in the reshuffle and pray the new man/woman can start to turn the housing around.

If it keeps getting worse a SF majority or SF plus SD Govt is going to happen which will destroy the country

Advertisement